Photos De Jour - Grand Rapids and West Michigan Area

GRDadof3

Great pictures. Having grown up in GR, then (many years later) visited Pittsburgh in 2003, I was struck by the similarities between the two cities (river [or rivers] downtown, hills sloping to downtown, architecture, churches, snow, etc). Except Pittsburgh kept more of their older buildings/beautiful architecture than did GR.

Edited by pr sc

I told her it was OK. :thumbsup:

Hey, is that a mural on that wall of that parking garage?

100_2934.jpg

Thanks, Dad.

Yes, it's a mural. I don't know how old it is, but the colors are really vibrant. There are amazing murals all over the city and in the burbs, too.

So, can anyone tell me what's going on with the plastic on that building that's under construction?

So, can anyone tell me what's going on with the plastic on that building that's under construction?

I don't know for sure, but when the weather is cold like it has been for a while, they cover buildings with plastic, so they can do concrete/brick work. When it gets below a certain temp, you cannot do this type of work because it will freeze before it gets hard and cured. Builders will wrap an area with plastic so they can maintain the heat and continue working.

I love the photos in this topic. You all have such a great eye for the beauty and splendor of GR (and Pittsburg) :thumbsup: !!! I was wondering if anyone has a skyline shot coming into town from the north. One of my favorite sights is coming into DT from the north on 131 when you go over the rise between Ann and Leonard. Talk about Grand Entries!!!

I like the view of the skyline from the north bound lanes of 131 approaching the S-curve. It sort of like a mini Chicago from that angle.

I love the photos in this topic. You all have such a great eye for the beauty and splendor of GR (and Pittsburg) :thumbsup: !!! I was wondering if anyone has a skyline shot coming into town from the north. One of my favorite sights is coming into DT from the north on 131 when you go over the rise between Ann and Leonard. Talk about Grand Entries!!!

I always make it a point to keep my eye out for they greyed silhouette (sometimes I can pick out a bit of colour from the Plaza Towers and Spectrum) coming up Northbound 131 south of the 84th St. Exit, or similarly from Northbound Division just north of 84th St. On a clear day you can barely see the Plaza Towers and Amway poking above the trees at the 54th St. Exit as well, as long as you know where to look.

Unfortunately, I don't think many of those shots would turn out well on a camera.

I've posted some in the past, but I don't have the site saved on my work computer. Give me some time and I will post some today.

Edit: I found them, now lets hope they aren't too big.

GrandRapids52106015edit.jpg

GrandRapids52106029edit.jpg

GrandRapids52106062edit1.jpg

Edited by 6th Gen local