Photos De Jour - Grand Rapids and West Michigan Area

GRDadof3

6th Gen Local,

Now, those are the types of views I love to see. I like the non-conventional shots, like these, that show everything stranding behind the riverfront giants, the real core of the city. The riverfront views just don't do the skyline justice like most skyline views on rivers.

Reeds Lake yesterday...

Cool! We went to Big Bob's Saturday, and there were ice fishermen out there, in the 55 degree weather. Insane.

Here's one I got today of the old furniture factories on Seward with downtown and Union Square as a backdrop:

419042644_6c1259dd94_o.jpg

Would make a great spot for a light rail stop. :whistling:

The things one does to get a clear signal on a cell phone. Bad signals forced me to make my phone calls from the roof of the Ionia Parking ramp. But while I was screaming choice and colorful words at my cell phone for not "raising the bar", I took these shots.

Enjoy.

The soon-to-be former GRAM building

oldgrambuildingqe2.jpg

St. Marks Episcopal Church is one of my most favorite buildings in the entire city. Its a wonderful little building. So I hope St. Marks remains a church at least for the foreseeable future.

stmarkschurchqg2.jpg

This is a shot of the back side of the renovation at the building on Ottawa. With all that plastic it looks like the building is being fumigated rather than renovated.

backsideofbuildingrenovkz2.jpg

Sounds like you got a bad carrier. I use T-Mobile and have yet to find any spot downtown with anything under half bars. My signal DT is excellent.

I using TracFone's prepaid service and a basic bare bones phone since since I'm new to cell phones. Anywhere else in the city I have no problems. Its just Downtown that gives me trouble. However I heard that TracFone tends to have spotty coverage anyway. I'll probably upgrade to a better carrier if having a cell phone works out to my likings.

Here's a picture of downtown GR as seen from the highest point in Ottawa County (Jamestown Township). I will try to get back up there this spring with a camera that has better zoom, but it's still a good view nonetheless.

grskyline.jpg

That's a nice shot. I am quite unfamiliar with that area - how would I go about getting to that spot?

That's a nice shot. I am quite unfamiliar with that area - how would I go about getting to that spot?

That particular view is from a gravel pit near "downtown" Jamestown. It's typically gated/locked, so not easy to get in. However, you can still get many great views from anywhere on 8th Ave. or 16th Ave.

Easiest way to get there is to take M6 west to the 8th Ave. exit, go south on 8th until you get to Perry St. (it's a few miles), then turn around and head back north on 8th. There are a few different places where the view is quite amazing.

16th Ave. runs parallel to 8th, 1 mile to the west. Best viewing is between Riley St. and Byron Rd., also heading north. There are several beautiful homes on the top of the hill that all have quite a view.

There's another spot up in that area off of Wilson or Byron Rd maybe?

It's hard to see downtown GR from Byron Rd., but there may be a point between 16th and 8th (driving east) when you may see it if you don't blink. You can get great views of Hudsonville, Georgetown Twp, GVSU Allendale, and even the Campbell generating plant at Port Sheldon all from Byron Rd. I'm not sure about Wilson...

Basically any of the roads through the middle of Jamestown Twp have excellent views of all directions. On a cold, clear winter night, I can see the brightly lit slopes of Bittersweet Ski Resort off M-89 in Otsego...

^Nice :thumbsup:

St. Marks Episcopal Church is one of my most favorite buildings in the entire city. Its a wonderful little building. So I hope St. Marks remains a church at least for the foreseeable future.

Would we ever let my church get developed? I don't think many of the committed individuals there would think seriously of letting it happen.

Edited by Rizzo

Irish Jig in East Grand Rapids this morning. 5k run to support Colorectal Cancer Research, put on by Spectrum Health. Not sure how many people, but thousands I'd estimate.

10 minutes before race time

424031953_5d337b5b5b_o.jpg

424033529_2e6952f726_b.jpg

The racers coming back East on Lake Drive (1/2 the pack has already passed at this point)

424031978_d569cb1b90_b.jpg

St Patrick's Day Parade:

424493192_0dcff7968e_b.jpg

424506655_246f2419d3_b.jpg

424506638_5655e5188b.jpg

424506678_5df9f6ad27.jpg

424506597_b548a4c029_b.jpg

Followed by a pint

424493196_9e69370aaf_b.jpg

another pint....

424493218_60dfc126c9_b.jpg

another pint....

424493240_c87d256199_b.jpg

....another pint....

424493280_a19a105316_b.jpg

Not me of course, that's just what everyone else was doing. :lol: Hope people are taking cabs home. I watched one woman run a stop sign on Ionia, and someone run a red light on Michigan. :angry:

Followed by a pint

<snip>

another pint....

<snip>

another pint....

<snip>

....another pint....

<snip>

Not me of course, that's just what everyone else was doing. :lol: Hope people are taking cabs home. I watched one woman run a stop sign on Ionia, and someone run a red light on Michigan. :angry:

And that's when the lines were short. ;) A couple of friends played in a game at the Van prior the the Griffs game on Saturday. Griffs game was a bit boring - the Red Wings have a few of the better Griffins up with the big team. It was cool to see DT so busy. People everywhere, mostly in green.