Photos De Jour - Grand Rapids and West Michigan Area

GRDadof3

I think there was something like 110 people through the door at McFadden's by 7:10am. Craziness.

Craziness indeed. Gardella's and Tapps didn't have lines in the afternoon. McF's and Black Rose surely did however.

Sorry PBJ - couldn't justify waiting in the cold to get inside. Stupid Yanska forgot to get your cell #. We ended up @ Elbow Room after the Griffin's game.

Yes, it's Lamar Construction's new corporate headquarters. Designed by Integrated Architecture. Thanks for taking those photos, I've been meaning to go out there and check it out.

I'll put a few more on the flickr GR page, but their mainly the same.

I knew i saw the photos of that somewhere in the past few days, and it was haunting me! Must have been when i was at the integrated architecture office.

Thanks golscorer!

You should feel the cantilever shake when you get a few guys to jump up and down out at the end.

You won't feel that thing move even 1". The amount of concrete and rebar (not sure how to spell that) that went into that building is simply unreal. I have a bunch of pictures of it somewhere at work that I'll post tomorrow.

The building is located in Jamestown Township and I assessed its partial construction state last December. They are taking out the building permits in phases, and their total is nearing $2.5 million or so... They have over $500,000 just in the concrete foundation used to support the upper level.

You won't feel that thing move even 1". The amount of concrete and rebar (not sure how to spell that) that went into that building is simply unreal. I have a bunch of pictures of it somewhere at work that I'll post tomorrow.

The building is located in Jamestown Township and I assessed its partial construction state last December. They are taking out the building permits in phases, and their total is nearing $2.5 million or so... They have over $500,000 just in the concrete foundation used to support the upper level.

The concrete surely won't move, but steel is flexible. When you get out to the end of the cantilever (which is a steel frame, not concrete), its going to act like a springboard on a very minute scale. However, the movement won't be as noticeable once they load it up with the planned dead loads like interior walls, furniture, etc. Those will make the structure deflect to a point where it'll be much more difficult for the structure to get moving when live loads, like people walking around, are applied.

It was sunny on Monday.. The girlfriend and I walked around, and I practiced my panning skills. Check out the little video I made. Mostly from along the river:

http://mattjohnstonrally.com/matt/wkflwtest/GrSpringDay.mov

Great video Matt.

I got some from the riverfront today:

439911121_580748080f_b.jpg

439934286_19f39f9851_b.jpg

439934288_4fd880381e_b.jpg

The river's still pretty high:

439934280_9459a3f1a2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've been meaning to get this shot again now that the hotel is basically complete. For those who did not know it, this bridge is one of two "swing bridges" on the Grand River in Grand Rapids. The portion to the right sitting on the cylinder shaped concrete support "turns" to allow boats to pass. Apparently, 4 years after it was built in 1907, the Grand River was deemed "non-navigable". The other swing bridge is near the Indian Mounds (part of the trail system).

http://www.historicbridges.org/truss/grswing/index.htm

458032961_c430f08884_b.jpg

Full Size