Photos De Jour - Grand Rapids and West Michigan Area

GRDadof3

Holy Awesome! I really like a lot of Mr. Kelly's works. I believe there is a good assortment of YouTube videos Brian and Brad Kelly have edited and directed.

and

Andy really nails it in his piece -- "self-pity." I sure do recognize that crap here from all the ship jumpers and WOOD-TV's Week long "We Ain't Got Jobs" piece... I think Any Guys write up deserves a conversation thread maybe?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If anyone wants to see streetscape photos of my trip to Washington D.C. last week, check them out here:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/Washingt...-20-t41617.html

There are so many things different between GR and DC, that I don't even know if there is anything that could be adopted here in GR. The only surface parking lots I saw in about 50 square blocks of downtown DC were where the old convention center was torn down and it was awaiting redevelopment. And the only parking ramps were incorporated into existing developments, and not as standalone parking ramps. Block after block, mile after mile of dense development with no "gaps" whatsoever.

Definitely the best American city I have ever visited (yes better than Chicago). :thumbsup:

Well, I obtained my goal this summer of getting over to Grand Rapids with my camera in hand. I spent Friday, Aug 31 buzzing around town exploring on my bike. From my experiences, that is the best way to see a city! You can cover so much ground and get a better feel of the community.

I just love visiting Grand Rapids. I study urban planning and have formulated my ideology over the years of what makes a city and I find so much of those "ingredients" in Grand Rapids. I try to be in tune and as observant as possible when visiting a place, and it's always a pleasure to experience how GR just seems to work. I also got to see East Grand Rapids and East Town for the first time yesterday too...pleasant surprises! :)

I'll do my best to post my photos in the next week or two, but I can't make any promises.

Well, I obtained my goal this summer of getting over to Grand Rapids with my camera in hand. I spent Friday, Aug 31 buzzing around town exploring on my bike. From my experiences, that is the best way to see a city! You can cover so much ground and get a better feel of the community.

Will you marry me?

I just love visiting Grand Rapids. I study urban planning and have formulated my ideology over the years of what makes a city and I find so much of those "ingredients" in Grand Rapids. I try to be in tune and as observant as possible when visiting a place, and it's always a pleasure to experience how GR just seems to work. I also got to see East Grand Rapids and East Town for the first time yesterday too...pleasant surprises! :) ...

I SAID....

Seriously, any cycling city planner is OK in my book.

ETA: the pics are great!

Edited by Veloise

Its the Coliseum Building built around 1910. IT was used for entertainment and as a convention hall.

I think it's also called the "Heystek" building (?). It used to have an arcade that connected to a building on Division so that patrons had access to the Division Ave streetcar system (Commerce was not served by streetcar). I think it was also a car dealership or auto repair place at one time as well as the uses Rizzo mentioned.

It's now the HQ for the United Way of West Michigan. I have interior photos of it somewhere.

Ah, here they are:

72511246_d353b4a167.jpg

72511248_1c6590ab93.jpg

I don't know the name of this place. So for now I'm calling it the "Big Arch Building." It's located on Ionia Ave. between Oakes St. and Cherry St. What ever it is, its got to be one of the most unique vintage buildings in GR.

bigarchbuildingxr5.jpg

Ummmm.... Quite possibly my FAVORITE builiding in all of Grand Rapids!!!!!!!!! I love this place, I purposely go past it every chance I get.

There are many active churches in GR's Westside area. One of them is this catholic church which I believe is called St. James. Its graceful spire can be seen from anywhere on Bridge St. and surrounding blocks. Being that a vintage church a few blocks east of this one is slated to be demolished to make way for a residential development, there seems to be a pressing need for GR to put forth more effort to preserving its beautiful vintage churches.

The spire's belfry.

stjames1jl4.jpg

This is the front of a church containing the main entry and narthex.

stjames2od4.jpg

Looking down along one of the church's side walls. This church features very large stain glass windows which surely must be beautiful from inside. I wish I had enough time to go inside to have a look. Also there are two entries on this wall. The one in the foreground is an auxiliary entry leading into the narthex.

The other in the background leads into the choir.

stjames3gh3.jpg

Here's some colorful and well kept landscaping adorning the front of the church.

stjames4yn8.jpg

This is one of two face sculptures adorning each side of the main entry portal. Another pair flank the stain glass window above. Perhaps the faces represent founding members of the church's congregation or those who gave generously to the church's construction and upkeep.

stjames5dd7.jpg

Gracefully pointing Heavenward, St.James' slender spire can be seen from almost anywhere throughout the Westside.

stjames6mq2.jpg

Edited by tamias6