Photos De Jour - Grand Rapids and West Michigan Area

GRDadof3

I had to head into work for a short time today, and I knew what was going on downtown today so I brought my camera. I'm not as good of a photographer as some on these forums, but I thought I had a pretty unique perspective to snap some photos on my cheap, old camera.

I think there are plans to redevelop this building, but I have yet to see any activity at this site.

1348152552_da426ef904_o.jpg

There has, however, been a lot of activity to the building next door which is the roof in the foreground. They were digging a pit down there for the elevator shaft and I initially thought they were responsible for the power outage downtown yesterday. In the background you can see a couple other projects.

1347261697_71de97285a_o.jpg

1348152750_2af16b5b3e_o.jpg

I like how that row of windows lined up perfectly for the reflection in the Van Andel Arena's windows.

1347261483_ea18b96eed_o.jpg

Parking lots and highways.

1348152940_fcca6ccc2c_o.jpg

Oh yeah, there was a bike race going on as well.

1348153426_96bd403c00_o.jpg

1347261885_a759f6937b_o.jpg

1348153576_c44c1fd8cd_o.jpg

You can see a lot from up there, but many are too far away to get a good photo of without zooming in.

Edited by AlexPKeaton

I don't know if this is a corporate sponsorship banner, but it's nice to have banners up along Monroe Ave. If so, I think this was a Veloise idea. I checked and it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the convention center (even though it's in the vicinity).

The vicinity of DVP often has banners up (there might be a connection). There were some for the home tour, and I recall seeing the builders show, a hunting event, and more.

My main target is Monroe Center, which has nekkid banner holder brackets on the vintage streetlamps.

The vicinity of DVP often has banners up (there might be a connection). There were some for the home tour, and I recall seeing the builders show, a hunting event, and more.

My main target is Monroe Center, which has nekkid banner holder brackets on the vintage streetlamps.

I know they usually highlight some show at the convention center, but there doesn't seem to be anything related to this Paul Goebel Group or insurance in general on the DVP schedule:

http://www.devosplace.org/Schedule/85/

If it's just a local company sponsorship/advertisement, maybe it could be spread to the rest of downtown. No matter what the message, it's nice to see the banner poles being put to use. It brightens up the area.

I know they usually highlight some show at the convention center, but there doesn't seem to be anything related to this Paul Goebel Group or insurance in general on the DVP schedule:

If it's just a local company sponsorship/advertisement, maybe it could be spread to the rest of downtown. No matter what the message, it's nice to see the banner poles being put to use. It brightens up the area.

I like the banners too. I was actually going to ask my co-worker who's friends with Meg Goebel, owner and president of the Paul Goebel group. I thought hm, what a great way to advertise! If only my company was going somewhere.... (a little side venture I have in addition to my almost full-time job) then I'd advertise there. Then I get on this forum and see that it's the subject of conversation. Well, I'll have to ask tomorrow.

And AlexpKeaton, I love your photography. You're not as bad as you think you are. They're quite good.

Edited by jeang

Huh? Looks like everyone in town is going "GREEN". :huh:

1367034615_073bde355b_b.jpg

Speaking of paint jobs, River City Slims has a few new coats:

1367959076_8f558218ed_b.jpg

And it looks like the cleared lot next door is for temporary parking:

1367065739_23fd6ac82f_b.jpg

Speaking of cars, Grand Rapids' first real roundabout (I believe) on Cherry has its curbs in:

1367069505_35c4df578e_b.jpg

In other news, the new bike paths along Wealthy in EGR are all painted up. These are supposed to follow Lake Drive all the way to downtown (? Veloise?)

1367084785_e9992d9ba5_b.jpg

New retailer in Gaslight Village. There's also a new Spectrum Health office next door, so this place appears to be almost filled up (except the corner next to Grand Gallery):

1367982096_bd64979208_b.jpg

More random photo updates to come later today or tomorrow (time permitting).

I'm starting to think realize I should doubt my boss. Her thought was that it was in relationship to Celebration on the Grand just happening because it was the 75th anniversary but that's only been around for 28 years. So it really is just an advertisement. And despite what she says the Paul Goebel Group has indeed been around for 75 years.

Blue Morning

1383347096_79ab8557fc_o.jpg

In a hurry to get a shot of Riverhouse, I took this shot. In doing so I accidentally got the parts of the blue anti sun glare band (or what ever its called) at the top of the windshield. This gave an otherwise gloomy sky this vivid blue effect. So Ha! HA! you fancy professional shutter bugs out there. Who needs fancy lens filters when you got one built into your car's windshield? Just kidding of course. But sometimes good things happen by accident.

Apparently this photo by yours truly will appear in a presentation being given by Dick Devos, TODAY, in Ann Arbor. Pretty cool! I'll have to retract some of the things I posted about him on here. :blush: The presentation is about Grand Rapids "renaissance", Grand Action, public/private partnerships, yada yada. :thumbsup:

664634606_a4a6c6dbe0_b.jpg

Apparently this photo by yours truly will appear in a presentation being given by Dick Devos, TODAY, in Ann Arbor. Pretty cool!

Nice job! You shoulda said "you can use it, only if you give the fine folks at UP-GR a plus in your speech" :D

Edited by torgo

Nice job! You shoulda said "you can use it, only if you give the fine folks at UP-GR a plus in your speech" :D

I didn't actually have a say in it being used for the presentation. I had already "bequethed" the image to a third party who informed me today of its upcoming appearance.

But you're right, that would have been funny if he would have given UP a plug in his speech. "If it wasn't for UrbanPlanet, downtown Grand Rapids would still be a secret".