Photos De Jour - Grand Rapids and West Michigan Area

GRDadof3

Sheesh, it's a long way down:

It's a little bit scary to look over the edge at the lobby 200+ feet straight down, but definately worth checking out as long as you're not afraid of heights.

Does anyone forsee a problem with kids throwing objects over the edge onto unsuspecting patrons in the lobby? Just a thought.....

It's a little bit scary to look over the edge at the lobby 200+ feet straight down, but definately worth checking out as long as you're not afraid of heights.

Does anyone forsee a problem with kids throwing objects over the edge onto unsuspecting patrons in the lobby? Just a thought.....

I've been in it a couple of times and haven't seen any kids yet. Just like any atrium, there is always that risk.

Yes, a few years ago at the Atlanta Mariott Marquis (45-50 story lobby) some kids started throwing things off the balconies on New Years Eve. I think it started as toilet paper rolls. Then went to soda bottles, then went to lamps, then chairs and sofas. Millions of dollars of damage.

Yes, a few years ago at the Atlanta Mariott Marquis (45-50 story lobby) some kids started throwing things off the balconies on New Years Eve. I think it started as toilet paper rolls. Then went to soda bottles, then went to lamps, then chairs and sofas. Millions of dollars of damage.

Wow, and I thought I was bad for spitting chewed gum out of one of the higher room windows at the old Plantland (well before Grand Amway was added). Put six 10th grade girls in a room and that's what you get! Nothing dangerous but I sure wouldn't want to be picking someone's chewed gum out of my hair!

Is that the atrium in the CNN Tower (I think thats it)? I LOVE that atrium!

No, actually the Mariott Marquis tower is much taller than the CNN atrium. Both are unique and wonderful in their own way. Wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of an airborn TV at either one of the properties.

They closed the hotel for several days, I believe and essentially shoveled the debri out.

If only they would take out the suburban arched windows and put in a real historic looking storefront, the building would be perfect.

Not a criticism, but you seem to be suggesting GR would be better if it were more "big city". The thing I like best about GR is that - while covering a fairly large area - it still has a "small town feel" to it IMO. Am I misinterpretting your comments?

Don't know if you are misinterpreting. The arched windows were a poorly proportioned renovation at some point, nothing close to what would have been done on the building originally. They look like someone's garage addition. Look at some of the storefronts done by bazzani, for example, along Wealthy to see what this should look like.

Edited by GRguy

Don't know if you are misinterpreting. The arched windows were a poorly proportioned renovation at some point, nothing close to what would have been done on the building originally.

Gotcha. Point taken. I was taking your use of the word "suburban" to be the atithesis of metropolitan and an insinuation that was undesirable.

Hi All,

The company I work for is unleashing a new, regular podcast on the world in the next couple of weeks. It's called "Inside Grand Rapids" and consists of "interviews with community leaders, business leaders and individuals committed to building a stronger future".

I'm in charge of putting together the web site for it and I'd love to use some of the great photos in this thread for the header of the site. I grabbed some a while back, but unfortunately I didn't make a note of who took them. Here are the ones I'd like to use initially for launch.

If you're the owner of the photo and you'd prefer I didn't use it, then please let me know via PM. Alternatively, if you're happy for the image to be used, send me your name and I'll be happy to give you credit on the site.

We are a commercial business, but this is a free public service we're providing for the benefit of the community. If you have any suggestions then feel free to send them to me via PM.

Many thanks!

Edited by grbrit

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

The company I work for is unleashing a new, regular podcast on the world in the next couple of weeks. It's called "Inside Grand Rapids" and consists of "interviews with community leaders, business leaders and individuals committed to building a stronger future".

I'm in charge of putting together the web site for it and I'd love to use some of the great photos in this thread for the header of the site. I grabbed some a while back, but unfortunately I didn't make a note of who took them. Here are the ones I'd like to use initially for launch.

If you're the owner of the photo and you'd prefer I didn't use it, then please let me know via PM. Alternatively, if you're happy for the image to be used, send me your name and I'll be happy to give you credit on the site.

We are a commercial business, but this is a free public service we're providing for the benefit of the community. If you have any suggestions then feel free to send them to me via PM.

Many thanks!

Nice work Andy!

Here are a couple of photos from today (sorry for the lapse folks):

2035398732_5039a5bd6c_b.jpg

The trees along Monroe Ave are incredible right now!

2034598747_a3d49df7dc_b.jpg

2034595347_f61fbab5ac_b.jpg

and the Somerdyke Plumbing building that people keep whispering about:

2034602949_f5d559d93c_b.jpg

(*cough*bazzani*cough*)

Thanks, Dad! I sure wish my mom would get a computer. Hard to convince an 83 year old, though. You'd think she would change her mind after listening to me talk about all the neat stuff on UP-GR....says she's going to make a list of things for me to ask about!

Thanks, Dad! I sure wish my mom would get a computer. Hard to convince an 83 year old, though. You'd think she would change her mind after listening to me talk about all the neat stuff on UP-GR....says she's going to make a list of things for me to ask about!

You're welcome! The colors seem to be kind of dull this year, and in fact, it looks like most of the trees have shed most of their leaves. But lo and behold, I turn down Monroe and it's like a postcard. And on gray days like today, the colors seem all that much more vibrant because the sunlight doesn't diffuse the colors (so I've heard). :)

I'll see if I have any more fall color photos in my stash.

Here are some photos I took at Meijer Gardens of the new Calder there on loan, and the George Rickey exhibit. You can make out some fall foliage in the background pr sc. :)

2034947133_23a7256a90_b.jpg

There are all "kinetic energy" pieces. They look stationary in the pictures, but they swivel and rotate in the wind:

2034949447_9ae87882f0.jpg

2034952449_f0240dca1f.jpg

2034944959_12f61e171e.jpg

2035738058_cd2a601a3c.jpg

2034937053_5da06a6cef.jpg

2034941339_53f0237946_b.jpg

2034943505_5348d350ff_b.jpg

Here are some photos I took at Meijer Gardens of the new Calder there on loan, and the George Rickey exhibit. You can make out some fall foliage in the background pr sc. :)

WOW! Thanks again. Beautiful photos and beautiful colors. It would be a sad thing to forget that something such as that exists.

Is that black thing the Bizarro Calder? It's all sharp and pointy and, well, black. Perhaps it could use some curvy red buildings in the background?

Speaking of black, was there a sale on black paint that I wasn't aware of? Taps has now jumped into the black building fray:

I did not adjust the color settings on these shots whatsoever. Yuck.

2049729977_16b4179b44_b.jpg

2049728979_b34fc34ca7_b.jpg

Speaking of black, was there a sale on black paint that I wasn't aware of? Taps has now jumped into the black building fray:

I did not adjust the color settings on these shots whatsoever. Yuck.

Yuck indeed. Now all they gotta do is add some metal bars and plywood to the windows, and we'll be all set. :sick:

I walked by there about an hour ago (and the guy sat on the floor had painted about another 6"). I just assumed they were touching up the white, I didn't even realize the color of the building had changed. For what it's worth, I actually like the black. Red brick is ugly.

While walking down that stretch of Ionia, I noticed a massive red gargoyle on one of the buildings between Taps & Black Rose. Anyone know the history on that? I would have taken a snap, but for a tech-savvy person, I have a real hard time making my phone take pictures :whistling: