Photos De Jour - Grand Rapids and West Michigan Area

GRDadof3

I walked by there about an hour ago (and the guy sat on the floor had painted about another 6"). I just assumed they were touching up the white, I didn't even realize the color of the building had changed. For what it's worth, I actually like the black. Red brick is ugly.

While walking down that stretch of Ionia, I noticed a massive red gargoyle on one of the buildings between Taps & Black Rose. Anyone know the history on that? I would have taken a snap, but for a tech-savvy person, I have a real hard time making my phone take pictures :whistling:

That's the old Waldron Building, that was built back in the turn of the 19th Century. The gargoyles were added back in the 1990's when a club opened there called Opus 1894. They're made of hard styrofoam I believe.

http://www.terrafirmaprop.com/58Ionia.htm

1360345055_0051ebcc19.jpg

That's the old Waldron Building, that was built back in the turn of the 19th Century. The gargoyles were added back in the 1990's when a club opened there called Opus 1894. They're made of hard styrofoam I believe.

http://www.terrafirmaprop.com/58Ionia.htm

Thanks for the info, although I'm a little disappointed to learn they may be fake. Very gothic. Made me do a double-take when I thought that they were part of the original architecture.

Thanks for the info, although I'm a little disappointed to learn they may be fake. Very gothic. Made me do a double-take when I thought that they were part of the original architecture.

You wouldn't have known any different had we not told you, though. ;p And that's when I think it's a great element. If you can't tell it isn't original to the building, then it's an excellent addition to it.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the new Taps building looks GREAT!!! much better than before. You can see more of the detail than you could before this.

I agree it is definitely better -- I don't think it's black though - from the pictures it looks like a dark blueish-gray color to me with some more muted shades of lighter blue

I personally think most of the brick buildings downtown should get repainted in different colors - but not like a hot pink or anything of that nature. It would give more character from a street view instead of a monotone street with the same colored brick.

But some brick buildings are nice on its own - just not ALL of them.

Edited by blueradon

A few more shots from yesterday:

Anyone know why Icon doesn't have any banners up anymore?

2089692714_690cf58e81_o.jpg

Another brave soul out in the bitter cold photographing the area:

2089697212_2821d3cd4a_b.jpg

2088907555_acdb8798eb_b.jpg

Above grade work at Plante&Moran's new offices:

2089574959_fdf3de5c65_b.jpg

St. Isidore?

2089700674_a17b2756e4_b.jpg

GR's hidden gem:

2088899965_1e3c60dcef_b.jpg

Where is this?

2089682626_ae31d76c35_b.jpg

Here's a hint. Here's looking up Ionia Ave from the same vantage point.

2089275529_a230fe9863_b.jpg

Great shots rtr! Is that a hawk or a falcon? I hear there are a few falcons that hang around downtown, or at least used to.

My amateur knowledge of avian species tells me it is a red-tailed hawk. Could be wrong, though. If anyone is ever in the area in the morning, there's a good chance you'll see it up there (no matter what the temperature!)

I remember hearing there was a pair of peregrine falcons nesting in the metal cage looking thing on top of one of the buildings in downtown. Apparently they were brought in for pigeon control. Then one day, they flew away.

Maybe that's just a Grand Rapids myth.