Photos De Jour - Grand Rapids and West Michigan Area

GRDadof3

I love how the blue of the Marriot adds to downtown as oppose to the typical orangish/yellow glow. We need more variety downtown

A recent photo in the Grand Rapids Flickr group illustrates exactly what you're talking about.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/climbingcolor...l-grandrapidsmi

That Market and Fulton area in the foreground looks pretty gritty. Is that some kind of garage in the foreground next to Charley's Crab's parking lot? It seems like 15-20 years ago the grit was omnipresent around downtown, creeping right up to the core.

That Market and Fulton area in the foreground looks pretty gritty. Is that some kind of garage in the foreground next to Charley's Crab's parking lot? It seems like 15-20 years ago the grit was omnipresent around downtown, creeping right up to the core.

That's true. The dirty old Greyhound bus termianl sat on the site where Plaza towers is today. It was removed to build the skyscraper.

Holy crap that's a cool shot cnordstrom! When was it taken, early 90s? Late 80s? I've seen a fair number of pictures from Grand Rapids distant past, but I haven't seen many from the more recent past like this. Thanks for sharing!

That shot reminds me of when I first moved to GR in 1989. I always thought that the city had a wierd skyline because it was so low with just the amway grand sticking out above it. That shot was from the early 90's maybe '92 because the tower was finished before my senior year of high school which was 93-94.

I'm honestly not sure when I took that, but early 90s sounds about right. I was still in college and I think that shot (and the one of Bridgewater place in the Riverhouse thread) was in my freshman or sophomore year... maybe 1988 or so? Think of it... no arena, only one real skyscraper, and the only team in town was the Hoops. Things have changed, huh?

I'm honestly not sure when I took that, but early 90s sounds about right. I was still in college and I think that shot (and the one of Bridgewater place in the Riverhouse thread) was in my freshman or sophomore year... maybe 1988 or so? Think of it... no arena, only one real skyscraper, and the only team in town was the Hoops. Things have changed, huh?

1988 or 89 is about right, maybe 1990.

Edited by mpchicago

Things really have changed fast. I've only lived here for about 18 months. When I moved here the JW was only halfway up, Icon was just starting, Riverhouse was still a dream, the GRAM was less than half built, and the LH Cancer Center and the other buildings there were nothing more than a very deep pit. It's easy to forget how fast things change when you see the city everyday, but shots like that make you really think "that was only 20 years ago? What will this place look like in another 20 years?"

Apparently the Amway Grand motor lobby is getting its own traffic signal?

Sometimes, I feel like those types of signals (ones really close together) don't work as efficiently as they are suppose too. Anyone know the mechanics of traffic controls? I'm sure there are pros and cons to these types of situations.