Photos De Jour - Grand Rapids and West Michigan Area

GRDadof3

See, that's what I don't understand. Why is the city installing new signals when they're paying to convert them to LED? Sounds like a lack of planning and a waste of resources to me.

As for the new street light.. it is certainly not LED, nor synchronised with Pearl/Campau.

I always think this little apartment building would be a cool place to live. Looks like it could use some fixing up though.

2331158811_aeffb69e5b_b.jpg

I took a look at this many years ago when it was for sale briefly. It had some pretty serious structural issues as I recall. Interior wasn't laid out too well either. I think much of its charm comes from the hillside location and winding brick road more that the bldg itself.

I took a look at this many years ago when it was for sale briefly. It had some pretty serious structural issues as I recall. Interior wasn't laid out too well either. I think much of its charm comes from the hillside location and winding brick road more that the bldg itself.

That doesn't surprise me to hear. From the outside it looks like it's in rough shape, so it's no surprise it's that way on the inside too. You're right about it's charm coming from the hillside location and the winding road. I also like how it's tucked away, right in the middle of downtown but I bet many people never notice it. I think what I like about the structure most is it's shape. The triangular shape is probably part of the problem with the interior layout, but it also makes it unique, not everything can be squares and rectangles.

Sfloria - I like this shot because it's hard to put a date to it. Of course we know it's modern but there are very few things in the shot to narrow it down to a specific decade. The one thing you can often judge the date of a photo by is the model of cars on the street. This picture only has the top portion of one car at the bottom and another in the distance by the former museum.

P3140036.JPG.jpg">

First attempt at a Urban Planet picture upload/link.

Finally signed up with Picasa. Surprisingly clunky

for a Google product.

This was standing outside the front door of 65 Monroe.

Still haven't figured how to provide a link to my online

Grand Rapids gallery.

John

I've always wondered, does this park have a name?

(picture)

It's such a great asset!

(another picture)

It is a nice looking park. It especially looks good in those pictures, but I see you tried to trick me by posting pictures from a time when the trees had leaves and the grass was green.

Not to get to far off topic, but is this the park that has fountains the hobos use as showers?

It is a nice looking park. It especially looks good in those pictures, but I see you tried to trick me by posting pictures from a time when the trees had leaves and the grass was green.

Not to get to far off topic, but is this the park that has fountains the hobos use as showers?

I'm guessing so, either Heartside or Veterans Park by the Library.

Edited by the_grand_raggidy

I for a large time lived in the Globe right across the road and while the park may look nice it isn't. No one really dares go in there, especially past dark, it's ridden with homeless people or worse, many a night i'd be walking home from somewhere downtown and cops would be hauling people out of the park. Cops don't even like to walk through it at night, they actually drive there cars in through the park in order to patrol it.

I Guess if looks matter....

(Sorry for the OT)

Wait, the cops drive up into the park? I want put a train terminal on Heartside Park.

Yea, if you look in the picture of the park above, they drive along the cement trails shining the spotlights on there car multiple times a night to check for activity in the park. I've seen them drive through the grass on a couple ocasions aswell.

Also, 99% of the time the city doesn't even bother unlocking the public bathrooms there anymore.

These are some shots of the new GRAM and surrounding buildings. The exterior is incredible. But I wish cameras were allowed inside because the interior is stunning and a piece of art in of itself. I wanted to get more shots of the GRAM building itself. But my camera had a near death experience as I learned the hard way that the GRAM's concrete hardscape loves to mutilate digital cameras. Fortunately my camera still works after popping the lens housing back in place.

2391917986_fb2c5087ea_o.jpg

2391087545_798648dca0_o.jpg

2391087455_4525bec5a3_o.jpg

2391917772_fd386aedac_o.jpg

2391087287_fcd1f5d4f4_o.jpg

2391087219_ff1338b11b_o.jpg

2391087143_817b566433_o.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

My first attempt at night photography. Unfortunately I only have a simple point and shoot so the images ranged from bad to horrible. Here are some of the best ones.

River House & Plante Moran

2441332762_131b124c88_b.jpg

2439342615_b2843df311_b.jpg

2440095079_2d6b331956_b.jpg

The Brass Works Building

2441351808_42ba89d7b5_b.jpg

GVSU Health Sciences from a distance

2441369932_7aeb2d7e7e_b.jpg

I always love it when someone can take super fantastic nighttime shots of GR - thanks for sharing that!

No problem, but I don't think they count as super fantastic. I think there are more at the mediocre level, still they turned out better then my previous attempts at night photography.

Here is one more.

2441351670_aae4d19567_b.jpg