Photos De Jour - Grand Rapids and West Michigan Area

GRDadof3

I never cared for this building until I started taking pictures downtown. Now I have a new appreciation for it.

2470822879_477012c988_b.jpg

larger version on Flickr.

PS - Nice pictures photoman, I didn't notice them before I posted, I took some pictures at the Ford Museum this weekend. They have the fountain on now so the views aren't exactly the same.

Edited by Eridony

PS - Nice pictures photoman, I didn't notice them before I posted, I took some pictures at the Ford Museum this weekend. They have the fountain on now so the views aren't exactly the same.

Yeah, I was excited to be able to walk out in the middle of the fountain and get those reflection shots. I image they'd frown upon that now, plus, the water probably isn't as smooth.

Also, the Flickr Grand Rapids group just reached 20,000 photos in the group photostream. Someone posted a link to a Flickr Toy that shows all of the "Photos of the Day" as chosen by the group moderators.

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/tags/%22GRPickOfTheDay%22/

There are some pretty great photos in there.

Edited by fotoman311

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/tags/%22GRPickOfTheDay%22/

There are some pretty great photos in there.

That's for sure, looking at that collection makes me want to give up because my pictures will never look that good :)

Beautiful shot of the Natonal City Bank building. I've never seen it look so good. From somewhere in Mc Kay Tower?

Actually the Ellis parking ramp across the street. On Saturday and Sunday I climbed the stairs of the majority of the cities parking structures. It really showed me how out of shape I was too. All the better reason to take the stairs I guess.

I don't really consider myself too out-of-shape but those stairs can get to me, as well.

:offtopic: But my favorite stairs are the ones from Division up the Belknap Hill. Just climbed them tonight carrying my bike. Nice shortcut from the north near-westside to my house in Midtown.

They lead right up to Trowbridge:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&...&iwloc=addr

Here's a picture, so it's not off topic now:

2433149669_8380dc4520_b.jpg

These stairs are a shortcut between my apartment on College and my office in North Monroe. Without them the walking route would be twice the distance.

The picture doesn't really convey how much of a workout it is just walking up them.

I wish the city would refurbish them a bit, many of the stairs are cracked or broken and what hand railing is left is mostly covered in rust. I know there is a second set of stairs on that hill that is completely blocked off. I don't know if they just became too dangerous or what.

:offtopic: But my favorite stairs are the ones from Division up the Belknap Hill. Just climbed them tonight carrying my bike. Nice shortcut from the north near-westside to my house in Midtown.

They lead right up to Trowbridge:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&...&iwloc=addr

Sorry - staying :offtopic: I loved those in the 60's but they were in bad shape - redone? is there still a walking - tunnel under division in that area

I've not known of a tunnel under Division, where was that located at? The other set of stairs is in very bad shape. Unmaintained, so bushes and trees are growing out over it, broken beer bottles and bums' clothes all over the place, and sections where the stairs have completely disappeared and the ground eroded away. Near the top I had to climb from dirt back up onto concrete about waist-high, and sections of railing are few and far between.

I've not known of a tunnel under Division, where was that located at? The other set of stairs is in very bad shape. Unmaintained, so bushes and trees are growing out over it, broken beer bottles and bums' clothes all over the place, and sections where the stairs have completely disappeared and the ground eroded away. Near the top I had to climb from dirt back up onto concrete about waist-high, and sections of railing are few and far between.

The tunnel was pretty close to those old stairs and, if I remember correctly, there was a school for difficult to teach young children across division from the area of the stairs and the tunnel. My memory would say it was Coldbrook School but, I could not find anything on the net. I was pretty old back in the 1960's, though still operating. I suspect it has long since been torn down. I wonder if the tunnel was filled in / blocked off or something. It would probably be dangerous to use it if it was still there.

Pics from Tulip Time today. Went to Windmill Island (Gardens).

tt-1.jpg

tt-2.jpg

tt-3.jpg

tt-4.jpg

tt-5.jpg

This is my sweetie, met on the website plentyoffish.com

tt-7.jpg

tt-8.jpg

tt-9.jpg

tt-10.jpg

tt-11.jpg

tt-12.jpg

tt-13.jpg

Riding around downtown, the ONLY way to enjoy all the tulips!

tt-14.jpg

tt-15.jpg

tt-16.jpg

Known this guy since Easter, and finally got him out on the bike!

tt-17.jpg

tt-18.jpg

tt-19.jpg

Edited by Veloise

I rode by bike around last night and here are a few photos I took downtown.

P5134367.jpg

This one's my favorite. I love the perspective and the location. It kind of looks like you're floating above the interstate.

We're just going to miss going by your new restaurant on my PedalGR route tonight ( http://www.amyandjosh.net/pedalgr ). You should join us! 6:15 at Founder's. We'll be going by that hole in the ground (I assume it's still a hole in the ground, haven't been by there for a couple of weeks)...I mean the Electric Cheetah, though. :)

Precip looks like it's all past and the sun should be peaking out around ride time.