Photos De Jour - Grand Rapids and West Michigan Area

GRDadof3

Seeing that picture of the Basilica made me think...what is the most "iconic" structure in GR? I have talked to a lot of people who have never been to GR other than driving though it, or have not been here much, but almost all of them mention the "big green dome." It seems like if nobody remembered anything else about GR it was that there was a church with a "big green dome."

so...is this the most iconic structure in GR? Just wondering what people's thoughts are on that.

Seeing that picture of the Basilica made me think...what is the most "iconic" structure in GR? I have talked to a lot of people who have never been to GR other than driving though it, or have not been here much, but almost all of them mention the "big green dome." It seems like if nobody remembered anything else about GR it was that there was a church with a "big green dome."

so...is this the most iconic structure in GR? Just wondering what people's thoughts are on that.

Boy, that's a great question. I love St. Adalbert's, but I am not sure that I would consider the "iconic" structure in GR. It is certainly representative of its time and place, a great and lovely temple of God built by old-world immigrants. There are a number of these kinds of churches in GR, such as St. Andrew's Cathedral, St. Mary's Church, St. James' Church, Sacred Heart Church and Immanuel Lutheran Church. But I never think of St. Adalbert's as representing Grand Rapids, the way that say, Notre Dame represents Paris or St. Paul's Cathedral represents London. In fact, with the exception of perhaps the Alamo as the iconic image of San Antonio, I cannot quickly think of any ecclesiastical structure as being the iconic structure of any major American city.

Boy, that's a great question. I love St. Adalbert's, but I am not sure that I would consider the "iconic" structure in GR. It is certainly representative of its time and place, a great and lovely temple of God built by old-world immigrants. There are a number of these kinds of churches in GR, such as St. Andrew's Cathedral, St. Mary's Church, St. James' Church, Sacred Heart Church and Immanuel Lutheran Church. But I never think of St. Adalbert's as representing Grand Rapids, the way that say, Notre Dame represents Paris or St. Paul's Cathedral represents London. In fact, with the exception of perhaps the Alamo as the iconic image of San Antonio, I cannot quickly think of any ecclesiastical structure as being the iconic structure of any major American city.

I wonder if that is simply because in most American cities the religious buildings have been obscured because of neighbouring high-rise structures (think St. Pat's in NYC...most "iconic" church I can think of in a large American city). In Europe, the cathedral was generally the focus of the skyline, along with the steeples and turrets of smaller churches. These became well established symbols for centuries before being obscured by larger structures.

I just mentioned this because unlike most of the other churches in GR...St. Adelbert's has a dome, and is clearly seen from any of the highways going into downtown. Whether or no...it certainly dominates the West Side. ;)

I wonder if that is simply because in most American cities the religious buildings have been obscured because of neighbouring high-rise structures (think St. Pat's in NYC...most "iconic" church I can think of in a large American city). In Europe, the cathedral was generally the focus of the skyline, along with the steeples and turrets of smaller churches. These became well established symbols for centuries before being obscured by larger structures.

I just mentioned this because unlike most of the other churches in GR...St. Adelbert's has a dome, and is clearly seen from any of the highways going into downtown. Whether or no...it certainly dominates the West Side. ;)

Well, yes, but I think that the skyscraper is iconic in a way that St. Patrick's can never be, because it expresses the essence of New York -- a place to work, a place to make money, a place to aspire. I love St. Pat's, but when I think of an iconic structure in NYC, two others come to mind -- the Empire State Building and the Statue of Liberty.

In a country that has no state religion, there is no way, IMHO, that any church can represent a city or a region unless that church (i.e., the Alamo) has a history independent of its ecclesiastical function.

Fantastic! Thank you so much. The view looking directly south from the top of Butterworth makes that part of downtown look pretty dense. And doesn't the current height of Riverhouse seem to be even higher than where you were? That's impressive.

I have about 10 more of the actual helicopter crash damage that I will post this evening

The landing pad at Butterworth. The guy at the bottom of the picture, from what I overheard. was taking borings of the floor to check the intergrity of the landing pad.

100_2144.jpg

Some more rotor damage.

100_2148.jpg

A security camera that was taken out by the rotor.

100_2149.jpg

This is looking up from the helicopter pad. See the bricks that were ripped out of the penthouse by the rotor.

100_2150.jpg

Another angle.

100_2151.jpg

A close up.

100_2154.jpg

This weekend I was the "official" photographer for the National 24 Hour Challenge bicycle "race" (it's a personal best competition, so you're only racing against yourself, your goal, and the clock) in Middleville, MI. Basically, a bunch of bicyclists try to see how far they can ride in 24 hours. This year's male winner rode ~475 miles (last year he set an event record with 502 miles)

I'll do a longer post later, when I get more photos uploaded. I just wanted to post this photo, because I love it so much.

2582618608_6184fe137c_b.jpg

Edited by fotoman311

2584761079_cc0586147f_b.jpg

As always larger images are on my Flickr stream

There's another Greek Orthodox church across from Romence Gardens on Lakeside Dr. (east of Plymouth) just south of Michigan. We went by it on the second PedalGR ride.

Amy and I had our reception in the Conference Center that St. George's owns just north of their church. It's really beautiful.

Edited by fotoman311