Photos De Jour - Grand Rapids and West Michigan Area

GRDadof3

There's another Greek Orthodox church across from Romence Gardens on Lakeside Dr. (east of Plymouth) just south of Michigan. We went by it on the second PedalGR ride.

Amy and I had our reception in the Conference Center that St. George's owns just north of their church. It's really beautiful.

Cool, I only took one picture of the conference center but I thought it looked really nice. I like how it's circular.

2585595242_e2c244b936_b.jpg

Great picture! The back patios at Rockwell's and Republic look pretty cool tucked in there, and it's interesting how CLOSE the GVSU Health Sciences building looks in that picture.

It's a kind of photography technique called "telephoto compression." When you are zoomed way in on something (which eridony was according to the image meta-data, http://www.flickr.com/photos/eridony/2604147424/meta/ ), it tends to compress the space as opposed to when you are using a wide angle for your photo. It also tends to reduce your depth of field, but in this case, because the zoom is not very large (just 3x or 4x I'm guessing), most of the image still appears in focus.

It's a kind of photography technique called "telephoto compression." When you are zoomed way in on something (which eridony was according to the image meta-data, http://www.flickr.com/photos/eridony/2604147424/meta/ ), it tends to compress the space as opposed to when you are using a wide angle for your photo. It also tends to reduce your depth of field, but in this case, because the zoom is not very large (just 3x or 4x I'm guessing), most of the image still appears in focus.

Oh sure, give away all my secrets! :P

Actually I learned something, I never knew about telephoto compression. The zoom couldn't have been more then 3x though because that's the limit of my camera's optical zoom.

Here is another one that probably displays "telephoto compression"

2604854506_7e5baf32ea_b.jpg

and then some that don't

2608745421_2eef09ebda_b.jpg

2611063541_a133104025_b.jpg

2611333561_784cd7f4b6_b.jpg

2594420420_c3d66a8af9_b.jpg

2595042363_fa2a14f2f8_b.jpg

Edited by Eridony

First of all. Does anyone know what is up with this?

There's been a picnic table in there since last year. That's if the ice didn't break it up. Could be a different one. I think the fishermen use it, but the flag is a new addition. I guess someone's claiming that rock in the name of America, just in case it was in dispute ;)

Thank you Avocado and, of course, Eridony, for the new pics/views of my chosen-again hometown. Just got back after 4 days in GR and must say I'm glad to be finally moving back. Thanks to all of you Urban Planet and Flickr people for keeping me up to date. I saw alot while there, but not from these angles.

There's been a picnic table in there since last year. That's if the ice didn't break it up. Could be a different one. I think the fishermen use it, but the flag is a new addition. I guess someone's claiming that rock in the name of America, just in case it was in dispute ;)

I guess it makes sense that I titled the picture "Fort Grand Rapids" on my Flickr page than. :)

So I found the top of the second set of stairs on Belknap Hill. I thought the open set of stairs were in bad shape, but at least that one contains actual stairs. The second set contains a tree where stairs once were:

2621231637_e60ba3a4a0_b.jpg

2622054646_a719dbe13e_b.jpg

Obviously pedestrian facilities were a real priority for the city in the previous decades.

First of all. Does anyone know what is up with this?

2613444603_e46c521451_b.jpg

I believe there was a story in the paper a week ago or so that said a couple of guys put that flag out there in tribute to veterans in general and specifically to a friend of theirs who died in Iraq. It may have coincided with Memorial Day in fact.

I believe there was a story in the paper a week ago or so that said a couple of guys put that flag out there in tribute to veterans in general and specifically to a friend of theirs who died in Iraq. It may have coincided with Memorial Day in fact.

i watched this particular news story the other week, the guy had just gotten off the phone with a friend in Iraq, i do not believe that his friend had died, the flag is a tribute to his friend and soldiers at war. The picnic table was a way to stabalize it the news said but the picnic table is not even near the flag. who knows what that is for, maybe a seat while fishing!

:huh: Local news are turtles. I fished down there a few years ago and some of the guys put it in there so they had a place to rest and put tackle. I even think I remember seeing flags down there from time to time. I'll have to ask some of those guys down there for the story.

Speaking of fishing down there. Anyone know if DNR installed that underwater viewing and kiosk at the ladder? It was supposed to be a big deal for the fish ladder with some cool architectural features.

Edited by Rizzo

So I found the top of the second set of stairs on Belknap Hill. I thought the open set of stairs were in bad shape, but at least that one contains actual stairs. The second set contains a tree where stairs once were:

Obviously pedestrian facilities were a real priority for the city in the previous decades.

Cool pics. I think one time I brought up an under Division walkway. I think I see where it was on maps live. Looking at N Division with Ionia in the picture (where Ionia meets with Fairbanks St NW) you can see the bottom of one of the stairways to Belknap then below it, a bit to the north, a short set of stairs to the edge of Division and, directly across, another short set of stairs on the other side of Division. I think that is where the under-the-road walkway was.

Cool pics. I think one time I brought up an under Division walkway. I think I see where it was on maps live. Looking at N Division with Ionia in the picture (where Ionia meets with Fairbanks St NW) you can see the bottom of one of the stairways to Belknap then below it, a bit to the north, a short set of stairs to the edge of Division and, directly across, another short set of stairs on the other side of Division. I think that is where the under-the-road walkway was.

I remember you mentioning a tunnel and I was wondering where it was. Too bad it doesn't still exist, but if it was maintained the same way the stairs have been I can see why.

I remember you mentioning a tunnel and I was wondering where it was. Too bad it doesn't still exist, but if it was maintained the same way the stairs have been I can see why.

It was pretty creepy in the late '60's when some of us female teenagers walked through it. And dark!

It was pretty creepy in the late '60's when some of us female teenagers walked through it. And dark!

Yeah? I wonder if safety and not maintenance was a bigger factor in it's removal. I wouldn't want to go through a dark tunnel with only two access points and be out of sight of everyone else unless I was walking with another person.