Photos De Jour - Grand Rapids and West Michigan Area

GRDadof3

Here are a few of my favorite photos from the first Hell Yes Sprints in Grand Rapids.

Hosted by HopCat in downtown Grand Rapid, who knew that bicyclists and beer went together so well? Three riders at a time compete in a 500m sprint for 15-25 seconds of effort/pain/adrenaline in a race to anaerobic respiration. The crowd cheers wildly (http://flic.kr/p/7KvRRi), yelling at all the cyclists to pedal faster and harder!

4430868102_66c5ccf47e_b.jpg

IMG_2323

Cheaterstache!

4431335958_32f900dfc8_b.jpg

IMG_2423

Cycling shoes not required

4430566711_e68418d3d0_b.jpg

IMG_2315

Michigan and/or Mike Ditka tattoos, also not required (but pretty cool on someone who is not me :) )

4430520519_ff075db1b2_b.jpg

href=" IMG_2761

Edited by fotoman311

Now that I'm done with Tea for now, I guess I should mention that I uploaded 121 photos from Saturday.

http://www.flickr.co...57623591351519/

4467674625_4d13b232f9.jpg

http://www.flickr.co...674625/sizes/l/

4468443582_458cc685f2.jpg

http://www.flickr.co...57623591351519/

~John

I think the MSU building is growing on me. The more I see photos of it and drive by it up the hill, the more I like it. There are still things about it that I wish were better, but overall, I think it's a good addition to the downtown streetscape.

I really like the compression effect the zoom lens gives to the second photo.

• 1 month later...

Looking good! I wonder if Spectrum will move the neon sign to the Children's Hospital now that it is the most visible building?

Joe

sick.pngYeuck! I hope not!

Great shots John. This time of year, I love how the dense green crowds the cityscape.

4632501085_ab2ed3d89b.jpg

Grand Rapids Skyline 2010

Edited by RegalTDP

I think it is, on the "old" section of Spectrum. I hope they keep the sign, it's a bit of a history thing (even though they changed it from Butterworth (red) to Spectrum (green)).

Joe

Is the sign still there, I don't remember seeing it for a while. I always liked it, It wasn't the best looking sign, but at least it was something lit up on the skyline, I was always wierdly fond of it. I'm always thinking of new ways we could light up DT better.

I think you are with most people. Originally, they went with Spectrum Downtown and Spectrum East. If I'm not mistaken, they now call the campuses Spectrum Butterworth and Spectrum Blodgett.

Joe

Yikes -- I didn't realize that changed it from the old "Butterworth" sign. I still cannot call the hospital in which I was born "Spectrum." It will always be "Butterworth."

I think you are with most people. Originally, they went with Spectrum Downtown and Spectrum East. If I'm not mistaken, they now call the campuses Spectrum Butterworth and Spectrum Blodgett.

Joe

Yeah, even internally people just kept calling them Blodgett and Butterworth. They've gone through a few iterations since the merger; officially now they're Spectrum Health Butterworth Hospital and Spectrum Health Blodgett Hospital. They want the media to use the whole name on first reference (hey, AP style now dictates a dignitary's full name and title be written on first, why not a hospital?) and prefer(?) the nomenclature above (e.g. Spectrum Blodgett) on further, but no one seems to raise a fuss when just the one-word names are used.

If I'm not mistaken, they foresaw a much diminished roll for Blodgett right out of the merger gate (less room for expansion, older, yadda yadda), but thought differently of it later. The name change probably had more to do with seeing Butterworth and what's become the Medical Mile as the center of a new order than it did any bullheaded attempt to erase two generations-old brands from the local consciousness in the name of a central identity. Good on them to acknowledge it wasn't gonna stick.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Took some photos at the Santa Claus Parade today. It was the first time I'd gone and I had an awesome time! What a great parade. Monroe Center is a fantastic venue!

If only we had more stores for all those people to go holiday shopping at after they left. Maybe someday...

5193875608_514be9e05e_b.jpg

5193888746_b4c911ab74_b.jpg

5193893278_98a25f76bc_b.jpg

5193883986_1286fd44c6_b.jpg

5193281771_45d56750d7_b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...