Project Bluebell is back

MikesLogic

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I could understand Savannah getting pissed if D/C backs out. The problem is that D/C has got an available facility that could take care of their needs for a production plant in Charleston. That could offset an enormous cost of building a brand new facility...D/C could save millions. Plus, port access would be relatively unaffected.

Article from The State.

Han Tjan, a DaimlerChrysler spokesman in New York, said the new site would assemble Sprinters from kits, as Gaffney workers do now.

He said the 425,000-square-foot Ladson plant is an obvious consideration, but the company was considering other options, such as the site near Savannah it considered for a full assembly plant for Sprinters in 2002.

• 2 weeks later...

I still think Savannah has the best shot. Both cities have ports, so that is moot. Savannah's distrubution network is better (intersection of I-95 & I-16), and all the work that GA has done on the land makes that the great equalizer, in my mind.

yeah..but they had already selected the GA site in the previous round. The fact that they are re-considering Charleston speaks volumes to me...Just my $0.02.

yeah..but they had already selected the GA site in the previous round. The fact that they are re-considering Charleston speaks volumes to me...Just my $0.02.

Exactly. Considering D/C had the land, they were getting the zoning, and plans had been drawn for the plant, the fact that they are re-considering Chas says that they may not be satisfied with their Savannah site. Also, they save money by relocating to a plant that is already built, it will just need to be expanded. No rezoning needs to be done or groundwork...just an expansion and renovation of the current plant. D/C will save a great deal of money if they go to Chas.

Exactly. Considering D/C had the land, they were getting the zoning, and plans had been drawn for the plant, the fact that they are re-considering Chas says that they may not be satisfied with their Savannah site. Also, they save money by relocating to a plant that is already built, it will just need to be expanded. No rezoning needs to be done or groundwork...just an expansion and renovation of the current plant. D/C will save a great deal of money if they go to Chas.

Honestly, it speaks to me that DC is seeing howe much more it can "milk" out of Georgia, by bringing Chas back into the picture. But that's just a gut feeling.

Honestly, it speaks to me that DC is seeing howe much more it can "milk" out of Georgia, by bringing Chas back into the picture. But that's just a gut feeling.

What is there left to milk, though? Georgia and the Savannah area have pretty much given D/C everything but the kitchen sink. They have the properly zoned land at reduced cost, they have received tax incentives from the state and county, they have the interstate access, and they have port access.

D/C considering Charleston might try to get GA and the county to reduce more taxes, but that is the only thing I could think of that is left to "milk". The move to Chas, however, would be far more economically beneficial for the company, and that is why I feel there's more to this situation than we know. Literally everything is in place for D/C to move to Chas...all they got to do is bring the workers and equipment.

Seems as though Charleston has landed the plant. Awesome news; God knows South Carolina could really use a bright spot like this right about now.

:yahoo: Oh yeah! This is fantastic news...especially knowing that more than 1800 workers might be coming in 5 years. I'm telling you guys, Charleston has only just begun. The area is really starting to boom.

Awesome, I had a feeling they were going to that location in N.Chas it had everything they would need(including room for expansion) and its already there. When they were getting rid of LaFrance they said they wanted to find a use for the location before considering selling it. Now everyone go out and buy a sprinter van please so they will have no qualms about expanding and adding an additional 1100 workers. :D

Here is the official article from P & C...the one Krazee posted was before the official announcement. ;) So Charleston got the plant! However, D/C was cautious about how many jobs the plant would bring. For now, the company is only committing to create 220 jobs and spend $35 million under the first of 3 potential expansions at the old American LaFrance plant. But if Sprinter sales do well, the automaker could need up to 1,800 workers and invest up to an additional $400 million within the next 6 years to convert the assembly site into a full-blown manufacturing center. That would put DaimlerChrysler in the same league as BMW, the only major automobile maker in South Carolina!! :shok: Here's to being optimistic! :thumbsup:

Daimler/Chrysler announces locating plant to Charleston

Archived