Oak Court

northernbizzkit1

Actually, these are not necessarily the opinions of me, just something else I found on the 'net. I have been several times, and it's really fairly nice to me. It does have a flagship Macy's and a Dillard's in it as well as (from what I can remember) some swanky boutiques in there.

I like Oak Court better than Wolfchase or any other mall in town, although I haven't been to Carriage Crossing yet (if you can really call it a mall).

Oak Court fits in well with it surroundings. It had to. It was basically an "infill mall" unlike others that were built in an open field somewhere. The big Goldsmith's (now Macy's) store was opened in the early 1960's and the mall added in 1987. It's nice to have a mall with parking garages instead of acres and acres of parking lots.

As far as the comparisons to Green Hills are concerned, even if one has a more upscale mix of stores or is larger, both sit in very similar neighborhoods and serve a similar purpose. I do think that the combined Oak Court/Laurelwood retail center is the closest Memphis equivalent of the Green Hills area.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dillard's used to be down the road at Highland and Poplar in the old Lowenstein's building. I am not sure where you're getting the third building for the Oak Court Dillard's. I know of the Lord and Taylor building (it's inside still looks like a L&T), then there is the store that was Oshman's (Dillard's Mens, Home and Childrens store there now). Where else was Dillards? in this mall?

Anyway I'll stick with my desire for a new store there, the old L&T store smells like mildew.

Was Oshman's 2 stories or one? I remember it being one story (lower level). I think my memory was that Dillard's was above it? I could be wrong. That was quite a while back.

I do not remember. I was shopping at Castner Knott in Nashville at that time. What I have shared is information that I pieced together from people here in Memphis. (Luckily I work retail on the weekends and know some people that have just been a bevy of Memphis information)

Archived