Hartford Restaurant/Retail

ctman987

Link to an article from this Sundays Hartford Courant that talks about how Cabela's store in rural PA has not helped the local economy as much as people thought it would because the store is basically located right off the highway and so people get right back on and dont go and shop in other local stores.

Cabela's would like to open a store at Rentschler Field in East Hartford. I think we wont have the same problems as this rural PA store but we need to make sure that there are not hundreds of Cabela's around because people travel hundreds of miles to come to these stores and so in CT we will be trying to get people from outside of CT to come and if there are a lot of these stores we wont be able to do that. We also need to make sure that people dont just stay in East Hartford we need to ensure the fact that people travel over the river to Hartford (shuttle from Rentschler site to downtown Hartford???)

Cabela's Store Hasnt Fullfilled Dreams

http://www.courant.com/business/hc-cabelas...dlines-business

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be fair, that Cabela's store in Hamburg is in the middle of nowhere, and just now some other businesses are growing around it.  If the Hartford store is located next to more businesses, it should be fine, even excellent for the local economy.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I think in an area like our's where development is currently in hyperdrive it will be fine. I just want to mention that the Rent as it is called is great. I've gone to alot of UCONN games and have a ball everytime I go.

• 4 weeks later...

This is a great NYT article about a new design source that opened in Hartford recently. I would post some of it but it's seems we are following more stringent guidlines around here lately. This is great news though and just another small piece of this ever evolving puzzle that is New England's Rising Star. I think the Times is now onboard in getting the word out about Hartford and I for one am greatful that all of those New Yorkers can read about our re-birth in their Metro Section.

Times Article

Nice article. That area isn't really in the Latino area of Park Street, that's a little down the road. There's a lot of Asian's in that rea now. At least there was 3 years ago when I worked there. Anyways, I like their attitude and zest for the city. Stories like these make me happy.....

• 2 weeks later...

Crate and Barrel and Fleming's Steakhouse coming to BBS in W. Htfd and Whole Foods Recently opened adjacent to BBS site.

Cabella's Coming to E. Htfd at Rentschler Field Development.

I'd really like to see High End at Front Street, Hartford 21, BBS, and The Rent. I think the area can support it. I'd like to see something mind blowing like a Macy's or Bloomingdale's at BBS or Front Street.

With the well known developers working on the major projects downtown such as Northland Investment (Hartford 21) for example I am pretty confident that they will be able to attract the retail that everyone is talking about here.

Also anyone notice Quiznos opened on the 1st floor of the American Airlines building along Main Street, thats great. I noticed this last night (saturday night) as I was driving around downtown looking for a parking space (there werent many because there was a game, lot of people downtown for sports on a saturday night a good sign) so I could go to the "red plate".

As someone who works downtown now and worked in downtown Boston for the past five years I'd love to see something to attract the captive audience of workers Hartford has M-F 9-5...

A Barnes and Noble at street level in the Hartford 21

A Newbury Comics or equivalent music/dvd/comic book store in front street or elsewhere

Some clothing retail like Gap or Banana in front street

Apple store in Front street would be fantastic.

We really need some known quality retailers committing to these new projects, it's the missing piece of the puzzle.

Yes, we definately need to start hearing some names get dropped around. BBS already has committments, we need to start hearing some good news too. I really hope Front Street attracts first tier retailers, if not a department store, then we definately need high end clothing retailers.

The key to successful retail downtown is to offer an alternative to the suburban malls in the area. State House Square Mall failed downtown in the early 90's because the stores were the same mall stores you could find at Westfarms, Buckland, etc. Why come downtown when you can stay in the suburbs for the same shopping? Stores like A/X, Kenneth Cole, Zara, Urban Outfitters, H&M, Room & Board, etc. along with independant boutiques (its why Stackpole, Tuesday's and other idependants do so well downtown) and sidewalk restaurants & cafes are what would make downtown retail successful.

I whole heartedly agree that niche stores are the way to go, but their needs to be some widely known chain stores mixed in as well (Gap, Pottery Barn, whatever). Don't forget about the thousands of workers that have cash and nothing to do during their lunch breaks. A big box store like a bloomingdales (IMHO) would be the worse thing for downtown. Front street and any other retail that comes in needs to be street level with store fronts, get people to walk around. I just look at this city and wonder why Newbury Comics hasn't opened up here... that and a quality large bookstore would be a gold mine! Give people a reason to walk around and shop during the day and they will be back on the weekends to shop and eat. I know I look for reasons to avoid those annoying malls.

• 2 weeks later...

The key to successful retail downtown is to offer an alternative to the suburban malls in the area. State House Square Mall failed downtown in the early 90's because the stores were the same mall stores you could find at Westfarms, Buckland, etc. Why come downtown when you can stay in the suburbs for the same shopping? Stores like A/X, Kenneth Cole, Zara, Urban Outfitters, H&M, Room & Board, etc. along with independant boutiques (its why Stackpole, Tuesday's and other idependants do so well downtown) and sidewalk restaurants & cafes are what would make downtown retail successful.

I have to agree..kind of.

Hartford needs a mix of chain stores and independant stores. Physcoloigcally when one hears chain stores they will know what the area has because they are familar with the store and hopefully its good repuation. But we cant over-do it because chain stores do not always survie when one can go to Buckland, Westfarms, Evergreen Walk, Westfield Shopping Town, Somerset Square etc to shop at these stores instead of downtown Hartford. Lets not forget in Bostons Fanuel Hall "Abercrombie and Fitch" closed, vacating its four floor building. A+F is a well known popular store but still closed up. So for every chain store lets try and have 5 independant stores, botiques, or whatever.

Botiques are definitely the way to go. People are willing to come into Hartford for concerts and sports because the city has the only large venues, and for bars and restaurants because of their density. Retail doesn't work like that in cities (even the Manhattan Mall is filled with discount retailers and almost went out of business at one point). IMO, retail is a bad bet downtown until the popultion grows significantly.

I think a good sized bookstore would do wonderfully as an anchor for hartford 21. With all the people that work around their M-F they should do well. As people move into the area the number of customers will only grow. Front street location will benefit from the convention center and science center, plus easy highway access. A good mix of known chains and niche stores would be great. I'll be interested in the architect's design. I just hope that any retail has store fronts and no Mall like configuration.

• 4 weeks later...

Its something I've been saying downtown Hartford should have recruited long ago becasue there isn't one in the Hartford/Springfiel/New Haven areas. Its a large home store similar to Pottery Barn, but much larger with a huge selection of furniture.

www.crateandbarrel.com

I guess downtown can always shoot for a Room & Board now...

The civic center makeover has lined Trumbull street with retail spaces.

I would think any of those spaces would be better for the Huskies Store than the current Pratt Street location.

Some kind of a kitchen store sore might make sense with hundreds of apartments within walking distance.

Perhaps a high end wine store.

A bookstore/internet cafe.

A drug store.

A foot locker.

A blockbuster.

A small Petco.

There are already camera shops, cigars stores, fed ex, fast food, kinkos, starbucks, etc, downtown. But Trumbull Street may attract soeme of those because of the heavy pedestrian traffic that the Civic Center and new housing will produce.

• 2 weeks later...

there are so many good restaurants to eat in downtown hartford Max downtown, trumbull kitchen etc. but there are so few places to shop. a bookstore would be excellent at the civic center area. i hope front street will provide more options for people to shop, although it is getting more competition from blueback square.

there are so many good restaurants to eat in downtown hartford Max downtown, trumbull kitchen etc. but there are so few places to shop. a bookstore would be excellent at the civic center area. i hope front street will provide more options for people to shop, although it is getting more competition from blueback square.

Blue Back is competition but it's a good project to have complementing downtown overall. Think about if we were a typical sized city both projects would be happening in the city. If they are both done well enough they will both suceed and both add to living in greater hartford. If I have the time on my hands and the money I'll be shopping at Blue Back and Front Street. and Westfarms and Buckland. This stuff is here for everyone In greater Hartford.

Archived