Hartford Restaurant/Retail

ctman987

oppsie, forgot this majot piece of news.

http://www.hartfordbusiness.com/news14177.html

Businessman Al Jahmee plans in several weeks to open a grocery-delicatessen at 241 Asylum Street, catering to downtown Hartford's workers and residents.

Al's Market will occupy about 1,700 square feet of the ground floor of what was formerly Niro's clothing boutique.

The market will open weekdays from 7 a.m. to 10 or 11 p.m. and weekends until 3 a.m.

Jahmee said he previously ran a food store, the New York Grocery, at Broad and Russ Streets for a decade before selling it.

this guy owned the bodega that turned into the DD on capital.

it was a little rough around the edges. but I am guessing this incarnation will be a little more location appropriate. it also seems as though it will be like a glorified Rose Gormet, but still a key addition.

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, so it seems the Kyto location is not just a rumor.

The Agrora people/DD's people are opening a martini bar there, and hope that sometime next year they can figure out a way with the city to open the roof top part, but thats kind of a phase two.

YAY!!!

I don't think it is definite. They are interested in the space, but I don't think they signed anything yet.

• 1 month later...

The good news just keeps pourin' in...

http://blogs.courant...kes-closes.html

not good news, but not at all a sruprise.

some times a location is defined by a personality. without the personality, there is not a hell of a lot that you can do to make it work.

the thing is, though that someone will re-open something in that location, since its nice, and well appointed, and is a good location.

the trick will be when, and whom.

• 5 months later...

as usual, downtown was packed for the parade.

and one cool thing I thought was that the area up around main street was much busier than other years.

The western part of downtown is always mobbed, but I think the city as a whole seemed busier this year.

I hope the parade remains good for business, and I also hope that it remains "safe" for partygoers...

• 1 month later...

Wireless Zone is opening a Verizon store in Hartford 21

It seems that H-21 is finally starting to get some momentum.

at the very least it is begining to contribute in the street level, so that just awesome.

I would personally LOVE to see some kind of eatery be put into the Trumbull street side to bring more daytime and night time traffic to that side.

So, so far, we have

Spiritus-wine/Beer

First Niagara-Bank

Market at 21-grocer

Wireless Zone-Verizon Dealer

also

YMCA

St Josephs Pharm school

that is a real nice roster of tenants.

Great news about the Wireless Zone at H21. They are pretty much the same as an actual corporate Verizon store. There really is starting to be some healthy momentum at H21 and I think the value it adds to Downtown will only become more and more evident in the months and years to come. I still think they need to be working to bring Wendy's and McDonalds back to Downtown somewhere too.

I kind of agree, but really, I have slowly moved to the belief that the only thing that the city/state should "work" to bring downtown would be more residential development.

yes, it blows my mind that McDonalds closed etc... but I also feel that at this point downtown has pretty much everything it needs to succeed. (especially once the move theater gets going)

and the only thing we really need is more and more and more housing.

housing will create the demand for the next fast food chain, and for the next fancy resturant, and for doctors and dentists to open shop. more housing will also help the existing business succed.

I hate to say it, but it is as important that the market survives as it was to get it here in the first place.... survival of business is critical!!!

oh, and on another note, the Cigar shop is opening up on Pratt Street (this is the one that was closing on Asylum). new owners I think, but they will be able to still smoke inside and will have a lounge etc...

this makes me happy since I really liked the cool factor of smoking inside...

• 4 months later...

This is pretty awesome. And opening in October is even better... just a couple months! Hoefully they can get everything in order before October 15th so they can get some of the Marathon and Whale opening day crowd.

Marathon day is a big one.

is the whale opener the same night? That will be a jam packed day for downtown. I absolutely have to get downtown that night.

• 7 months later...

Well... In what may be the shortest restaurant run in Hartford history, Braza on Constitution Plaza has closed. Not sure what happened here, but they did absolutely no work to the space. It was literally the same restaurant as Spris. I also know they never purchased the spit to roast their meats on that they were supposed to feature. My guess would be under capitalization.

• 2 years later...

I know that Jojo was a regular on these forums, and I agree... Booo

But I will add this too, 

based on comments from the past and in the article about Jojo's closing, I remember a very negative view of hartford.  Maybe it was realism, or a little well earned bitterness, I get it... but just the same the comments were not really ever too positive.  I think coffee shops need to be super positive to survive..

I worry that this decision was a little too hasty. 

with buildings being rented out in the next several months there is literally NO WAY that business would continue to decrease.

It is entirely possible that in 2 years business could be booming... Landlords.... on the other hand... are terrible!!!

they probably are raising the rent because they see a chance to capitalize on the increased downtown population...

I think that this is more about time though than Hartford as the interview alluded to this and time vs reward is the best way to say it.  Heck, driving between new haven, Amhearst and Hartford means, that the distance needs to be worth something... I get that hartford was the easiest to cut.   Maybe that chonese place is worth more of his wifes time and so he is gonna focus on New haven... easy peasey

I am completely confident that this business COULD be sold and or re-opened by another group.

I also hope this happens for Jojo and for the city

Can I also say this... I wish that JoJo's was somehow merged with Rose Gourmet like 3 years ago.

I much preferred their food options and your coffee options and rarely had time for both when runing out on a quick break from work.

having both closed totally sucks

all of these things having been said.. I need to write this down so it can maybe be seen:

1: Thanks for giving Hartford 15 years

2: Thanks for choosing to serve the community by losing money on Sundays for ages!!!

3: Thanks for being local

Im sure there are other things to thank you for, but since I dont work downtown anymore I cant say much other than what is above.

Losing Morton's and JoJo's is too bad.  But one would have to think that with 777 Main, Constitution Plaza Apartments, Front Street Lofts, the Grand and Allen Street all opening in the next year (plus the construction workers that will soon fill the near north side) the vacancies won't be there very long.

550x309.jpeg

If the nuns taught me addition correctly that is 688 new apartments that have already started to open.

Archived