Fall Hits Mid-Michigan (Part I)

RustTown

*Repost from Michigan subforum*

Well, the leaves are really starting to fall, but I'd thought I'd try and get in a legitimate fall thread before it's too late. I will be getting a new camera by years end, and hopefully, that also means some tours of new locations. These turned out pretty good, IMO, if even a little familiar in subject.

Built in 1894, and lying a block north of the Capitol in the church district, First Baptist Church recently (in the last month or so) changed it's name and demonination to reflect it's changing congregation. It is now a non-denominational church.

711_first_baptist_church_-_christ_community_church.jpg

Ransom E. Olds financed both the Hotel Olds (now the Romney), and Old Tower (Boji Tower) back when the automobile industry began to boom in Lansing.

712_capitol_wall.jpg

Fall colors flooded in the shadows of the Michigan Capitol Building completed in 1878. Below, you can see Saint Paul's Episcopal Church completed in 1914. Yes, even churches need satellite T.V. or so I am told.

713_capitol_grounds.jpg

Saint Marys Cathedral (no apostrophe officially) completed in 1913 presents a very impossing, neo-gothic facade. It also lies just a block north of the Capitol in the church district.

714_saint_marys_cathedral.jpg

Random view of Ferris Park Towers Apartments rising lonely amidst 100+ year old houses.

715_ferris.jpg

First Church of Christ Scientists, now the non-denominational Greater Love Apostolic Temple, rises oddly above the historic Genesee Neighborhood in north downtown adjacent to Lansing Community College, one of the largest in the state. Christ Scientists still maintain a presence downtown in their reading room, which has been a downtown staple for over 100 years.

716_first_church_of_christ_scientists_-_greater_love_apostolic_temple.jpg

The Michigan Millers Mutual Insurance Company Building (Mutual Building for short), was first built as a three-story building in 1925, and expanded by two more stories 3 years later. A proposed renovation of this building has been put on hold which would have added one more floor.

717_michigan_mutual_building.jpg

Built in 1923, and expanded in 1941, the Michigan Bell Building is now, of course, the SBC Building. This is an awesome, if even small, example of Art Deco.

718_michigan_bell_building.jpg

View from street level

7111_michigan_bell_building_-__2_.jpg

Anderson House Office Building from the heart of the church district. The First United Methodist Church can be seen in the foreground, and the congregation has been meeting downtown for 150+ years.

719_anderson_house.jpg

More of the Capitol Grounds.

7110_capitol_grounds__2_.jpg

...Go to Part II to see real fall colors...

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived