Fall Hits Mid-Michigan (Part II)

RustTown

*Part II*

Now, off to the westside of the urban area to Michigan Avenue Park...

First, the hill I had to climb, in Michigan Avenue Park/Waverly Hills Golf Course in Lansing Township, to get these views. It's a great sledding hill in the winter.

7112_michigan_avenue_park_hill.jpg

Looking southeast towards Lansing at the Lansing Township Water Tower. The Eckert Power Station chimneys (624' tall) can be seen in the background.

7113_lansing_township_water_tower.jpg

Looking northeast towards Lansing over the Walvery Hills Golf Course.

7114_michigan_avenue_park_hill_-_looking_northeast.jpg

Looking directly north with busy Saginaw Street/Highway marking the northern border of the golf course/park.

7115_michigan_avenue_park_hill_-_looking_north.jpg

Looking northwest towards suburban Delta Township. Despite being relatively flat, the metro area does have some gently rolling hills. It's hard to believe that a suburba of 30,000 lies beneath.

7116_michigan_avenue_park_hill_-_looking_northwest.jpg

Looking north, again.

7117_michigan_avenue_park_hill_-_looking_north__2_.jpg

Looking west towards Delta, again.

7118_michigan_avenue_park_hill_-_looking_west.jpg

Another northwest view.

7119_michigan_avenue_park_hill_-_looking_northwest__2_.jpg

Lastly, from the hill, some graffiti.

7120_michigan_avenue_park_graffitti.jpg

Now, let's go back home to the west side at Frances Park...

The manicured rose garden of Frances Park on Lansing's southwest side (garden not pictured).

7121_frances_park_rose_garden.jpg

The outlook area.

7122_frances_park_outlook_i.jpg

7123_frances_park_outlook_ii.jpg

7125_frances_park_outlook_iv.jpg

There are too many cell phone towers in this city and area for my liking.

7124_frances_park_outlook_iii.jpg

7126_frances_park_outlook_v.jpg

The Frances Park concession stand.

7127_frances_park_concession_stand.jpg

Burning Tree (flames not pictured)

7128_frances_park_foliage.jpg

Squeezed in between the Lansing County Club and Frances Park lies the Riverside Neighborhood...

This is one of the few newish houses in the area.

7129_cambridge_road.jpg

A much more typical home in the neighborhood. This neighborhood contains most of the cities mansions.

7130_cambridge_road_ii.jpg

Lastly, these friendly boaters, taking advantage of the nice day and Lansing Marina, zoomed by when I was taking a pic of the Grand. They waved and laughed. They may have been drunk. :)

7131_grand_river_boat_ride.jpg

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

huh? I'm totally confused, and have no idea what you're talking about. lol

The hill at Waverly Hills golf course in your first couple of photos:

First, the hill I had to climb, in Michigan Avenue Park/Waverly Hills Golf Course in Lansing Township, to get these views. It's a great sledding hill in the winter.

7112_michigan_avenue_park_hill.jpg

Well, the graffiti is nice (for graffiti), BUT I really like the first shot of the outlook area - the one inside the arbor. Oh, and the burning tree sans flames is lovely.

Nobody has mentioned much about Part I. I don't know much about Lansing, so can I ask what a church district is?

Thanks for the explanation. I've been enjoying your photographs, by the way. I've been through parts of Chicago many times and there are lots of great buildings there, but a good photo brings out the structure's character somehow. You do a great job.

That cathedral looks like something from Europe to me. Would you know if its design is based on European architecture?

Yes, it's design style of neo-gothic. If you have anymore questions about the other thread, feel free to post them there. Thanks for the interest. Sometimes, smaller cities aren't interesting to most, and I can understand why. But most places have their own jewels and locations.

If you have anymore questions about the other thread, feel free to post them there.

OK. I can do that, thank you. I have a question you're probably not expecting. Street level shots of steeples and such just don't do them justice, so I'd like to know how you get so many pictures from so high up? You're not like Spiderman bouncing around on the rooftops, are you?

Parking garages.

How ingenious! And to think I have been on the top of one every week lately and never thought of that. It also explains one of my favorites of your pictures of the Michigan state capitol - night, probably raining, with the whole bottom of the frame showing what I now must assume is the top of a parking garage. I obtained it (for personal use) and edited it a bit. Would you like to see it? Please? It's just sooooooo spooky! But gorgeous.

You must be new to this urban enthusiast thing, huh?

Oh, yeah. Laugh at the newbie! :P No, seriously, my photographic experience has mostly been family gatherings and mountain vacations. I live close to Chicago and the parking garages we use there are underground. But it was always the big scary place we tried not to spend too much time in. That's one of the reasons I find this site so interesting - it's all about the big scary places all of you don't avoid.

Anyhow, my interest in architecture has been drawn to state capitols lately. That's why I grabbed your image. You can find it at: http://statecapitols.tigerleaf.com/waiting/lmichigan.htm . I'll be checking this thread for your reaction.

Archived