Huntingdon, TN - Scenic Courthouse and Town Pictures

Rural King

So yeah what is up with posting these Huntingdon, TN photos?

Well I took them on a photo stop on the way home from the Nashville Forum meet. I guess I could post my pics, but I'd rather post these for now. Whose ever seen downtown Huntingdon? Well now you can! Enjoy.

Huntingdon, TN - County Seat of Carroll County - Grand Division: West - Pop. 4,349

So why did I stop at Huntingdon of all places? Well to start off it has one of the BEST COURTHOUSES EVER!!!....well in my opinion at least. ;)

Tennessee0004-vi.jpg

Tennessee0024-vi.jpg

Tennessee0020-vi.jpg

Two Tennessee Governors have come from Carroll County - This monument is in front of the Court House

Tennessee0007-vi.jpg

The soon to open Dixie Carter Performing Arts and Academic Enrichment Center

Tennessee0003-vi.jpg

Court Theatre - still in operation. Its neat IMO that a court square theatre is actually still up and running. Its a rare sight in most of rural America anymore it seems.

Tennessee0025-vi.jpg

Huntingdon's nice little Post Office

Tennessee0009-vi.jpg

Huntingdon Court Square still has an "real" "old school" gas station in operation -building, pumps, and all. Tell me the last time you saw that? Pretty rare.

Tennessee0016-vi.jpg

Downtown Huntingdon - had or has a "modern cleaners", a 'trading post", and a "billards/arcade" off the square. :D

Tennessee0001-vi.jpg

Signage

Tennessee0002-vi.jpg

Streetscape

Tennessee0028-vi.jpg

Neat old Bank Building

Tennessee0029-vi.jpg

Municipal Building

Tennessee0011-vi.jpg

Carroll County Electric Co-Operative

Tennessee0021-vi.jpg

Rail-line

Tennessee0030-vi.jpg

Nice Neighborhood and Housing shots

Tennessee0032-vi.jpg

Tennessee0034-vi.jpg

Tennessee0036-vi.jpg

Tennessee0037-vi.jpg

Awesome old house!

Tennessee0039-vi.jpg

Tennessee0040-vi.jpg

Tennessee0044-vi.jpg

So where could I go from here????

Tennessee0051-vi.jpg

The End.

This is probably not the thread everyone would have expected after a Forum Meet. :D

So thats Huntingdon. Its a great place to visit if your ever in the area. Its Court House is spectacular IMO and the town is full of great old housing stock and neighborhoods. Very interesting town to explore.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very nice town. Next time I'm through there I'll have remember to not take the bypass.

By the way, they have an old-style working gas station in Collierville town square if you get down there sometime.

Ahh yes the infamous Huntingdon by-pass. Its abundant use of stop signs makes the purpose of the bypass slightly less than effective. It fairly large too, not quite as large as the huge closed-access by-pass around Martin, but pretty big for a town half Martin's size in population. Folks who are interested should look in an atlas, or at an online map site, to check out just how large the by-passes around both towns are. They are both pretty impressive in size IMO.

The legacy of four-laning TN 22 (aka the Ned McWherter Interstate System) is a good one and is just now starting to benefit the region by providing a better connection from NW TN to I-40/Nashville. Hopefully with I-69 coming through, the Cates Landing Riverport/Industrial Site along the Mississippi, the mega-site in Crockett County, etc, some new industries will locate in the communities further east along TN 22 and utilize the road more fully.

I definately will have to go to downtown Collierville sometime to see whats all down there, in particular now the old-style gas station. Is downtown Collierville fairly historic?

Thanks RK for giving my first taste of Huntingdon. I have to agree with you that they've got one of the finest small town courthouses I've ever seen. It's really nice to get to see areas of Tennessee for the first time. I've definitely got to make up to the NW part of Tennessee and check it out!

Ahh yes the infamous Huntingdon by-pass. Its abundant use of stop signs makes the purpose of the bypass slightly less than effective.

Well, I have it from a knowledgible source that some of the stop signs are coming down in a few months and Huntingdon's first traffic light is going up.

Well, I have it from a knowledgible source that some of the stop signs are coming down in a few months and Huntingdon's first traffic light is going up.

That will be awesome. Going around that by-pass is alot of stop and go traffic at the moment; so perhaps a stop light or two will allow for, at least when your timing is right, a more fluid trip around Huntingdon.

Thanks RK for giving my first taste of Huntingdon. I have to agree with you that they've got one of the finest small town courthouses I've ever seen. It's really nice to get to see areas of Tennessee for the first time. I've definitely got to make up to the NW part of Tennessee and check it out!

Glad to hear you enjoyed seeing H-don for the first time. I have several other sets of photos from several regional towns I can show. Just last week I took some Paris pics, and I have pics from Union City, Tiptonville, Brownsville, Alama, etc that I can show off over time. I need to make it down to Jackson though, since I don't have any pics of it yet since I got my digital camera.

I remember going through Huntingdon on my way back and forth to school. Downtown looks the same after all these years...1971 to present. On my most recent trip to H-don, I was quite impressed by the unusually abundant collections of yard art. Fascinating, I say. :)

What all was out the last time you went through? Alot of those nice big old homes have very ornate yards which make for very interesting sights to take in while in Huntingdon outside of the Court Square.

Another interesting town nearby is McKenzie. Their main street has terminating horizons. In other words, the view down the street doesn't go to the horizon. The view is terminated by buildings going perpendicular to the main street, in both directions.

With some restoration on the buildings and some decorative elements added to make it look historical, it could become a great location for filming movies. There would be no modern buildings in the background to spoil the effect. Everywhere you looked, you would see only historical, period architecture.

It would be a great tourist stop also. McKenzie needs to think about this. It would put them on the map.

I went downtown McKenzie for the first time the other day on the way home as well, having until then only been down to the newer commercial strip when I passed through. I noticed exactly what you are talking about. Downtown looked like had seen much better days though compared to many of its neighbors of similar size. There was a nice large pharmacy downtown and a large furniture store with a few other odds and ends. It definately is full of potential thats for sure. I would love to see it get revitalized in a way other slightly larger towns like Union City, Martin, etc have done. The potential and buildings are there to work with.

PHofKS do you visit that area of West TN often or originally from this area of the state? You know some interesting facts about Carroll County.

PHofKS do you visit that area of West TN often or originally from this area of the state? You know some interesting facts about Carroll County.

I'm from Middle Tennessee, but my job takes me across the state. In fact, I just spent the night in Memphis last week. I've been in every Tennessee County, but one (Hancock), and especially enjoy my trips to West Tennessee this time of year when the cotton is being harvested. Driving down a county road through a blazing white cotton field then desending into the swampy, cypress tree backwaters of the Forked Deer River is a delightful side trip I try to make anytime I can.

I need to start taking and posting pictures.

^ Very cool. Thats a goal of mine, to see very county in Tennessee. Its awesome that your job allows you to see so much of the state. You're right the fields of cotton are an awesome sight, esp. seeing it bundled up in bales as large as small buses along the side of the road. I saw alot of cotton being those on Sunday in Carroll and southern Weakley.

It would be awesome if you had the opportunity to take pics of some the places you get to visit.

I went downtown McKenzie for the first time the other day on the way home as well, having until then only been down to the newer commercial strip when I passed through. I noticed exactly what you are talking about. Downtown looked like had seen much better days though compared to many of its neighbors of similar size. There was a nice large pharmacy downtown and a large furniture store with a few other odds and ends. It definately is full of potential thats for sure. I would love to see it get revitalized in a way other slightly larger towns like Union City, Martin, etc have done. The potential and buildings are there to work with.

Hey, their is also no Wal-Mart to stop it from happening too (in McKenzie). For those who don't know, it has a courtyard, a the usual old buildings, and empty theater, a bank, a dentist office, several hair places, the old station, and it has a couple of churches after you pass the city complex and parking lot.

^It was about dusk when I drove through, I didn't recognize the rail station off hand, is it in pretty good shape? I know McKenzie was established and grew up mainly as a rail stop, so I figure it would be a prominant part of the town's history.

Not having a Wal-Mart is definately a plus.

Sort of off topic: Trenton, TN (Seat of Gibson Co) is another sizable town, a little smaller than Milan-Union City-Martin-etc, that does not have a Wal-Mart and has a good opportunity to have a revtalized downtown, its in real good shape too with a awesome old historic Court House to work around.

Sort of off topic: Trenton, TN (Seat of Gibson Co) is another sizable town, a little smaller than Milan-Union City-Martin-etc, that does not have a Wal-Mart and has a good opportunity to have a revtalized downtown, its in real good shape too with a awesome old historic Court House to work around.

Trenton has a nice square too, however it's just kind of empty these days (except for lawyers offices and some banks of course). As for my old hometown, Milan, well it's seen it's better days. :( If anyone needs the work, it would be them.

^ Yeah Milan's downtown has seen better days. That SuperCenter is not going to help things at all, if anything its going to empty out some of the retail out along US 45 that hurt downtown to begin with. I wonder if EW James (West TN Grocery Chain) can survive the SuperCenter, Fulton's wasn't able too. I think the SuperCenter in Huntingdon has put some strain on Huntingdon's old commercial strips located on US 70, have any idea how its or for that matter McKenzie's EWs is doing since the SC came to town?

Trenton's downtown is pretty empty, but it has a ton of pontential to work with around Court Square. Its Court House is stunning, but completely different than Carroll County's. I really like Trenton and thinks it's an awesome town. I always wonder though how a town as big as Trenton has kept Wal-Mart out, I guess Humboldt, Milan, and Union City all having them and being within an easy commute just negated the need to locate one there.

Nice pictures. I always enjoy small towns. Each one really looks different. And it's nice too that whatever bottom those small town downtowns hit, they all look to have stabilized and come back some.

I'm from Middle Tennessee, but my job takes me across the state. In fact, I just spent the night in Memphis last week. I've been in every Tennessee County, but one (Hancock), and especially enjoy my trips to West Tennessee this time of year when the cotton is being harvested. Driving down a county road through a blazing white cotton field then desending into the swampy, cypress tree backwaters of the Forked Deer River is a delightful side trip I try to make anytime I can.

I need to start taking and posting pictures.

I know what you mean about the cotton. I used to love seeing it in the ditches and blowing across the road, looked like snow.

There are two wonderful small towns in West TN--LaGrange and to a lesser extent Moscow--both in Fayette County, full full of great ante-bellum homes.

I definately will have to go to downtown Collierville sometime to see whats all down there, in particular now the old-style gas station. Is downtown Collierville fairly historic?

Yeah, the Collierville Town Square is pretty historic. Lots of shopping, particularly antique stores, some restaurants, and offices. Homes and churches and an elementary school right of the square. A quaint park in the middle and an old train car on the south side of the square give a small-town feel for a town that' not so small anymore. Very interesting place. It's also a TN Main Street community, I believe.

Yeah, the Collierville Town Square is pretty historic. Lots of shopping, particularly antique stores, some restaurants, and offices. Homes and churches and an elementary school right of the square. A quaint park in the middle and an old train car on the south side of the square give a small-town feel for a town that' not so small anymore. Very interesting place. It's also a TN Main Street community, I believe.

Yeah, I believe Collierville's about 40,000 rich folks nowadays. I remember when it was 2,000--all hicks. Lol.

Went to high school with a kid from Collierville way back when, and we ribbed him for being a rube.

Archived