Scariest places in Atlanta

Newnan

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Pittsburg Neighborhood(a couple years ago named most dangerous in the country), Bankhead, Adamsville, Bolton, Adair Park, Mechanicsville, ect.... In the metro area, parts of East Point, College Park, Riverdale Road, Singleton Road, Norcross Tucker Road, Memorial Drive, Franklin Road, ect... Actually, when I first moved to the Atlanta area in 1990, there were 2 separate times within a year that on school field trips we had to get under our seats on the bus due to shootouts. This was in south midtown right off of courtland ave., though that area has improved a good bit since then.

Memorial Drive

My neighborhood made the list! :)

The Courtland St area, which is in the northside of downtown is still largely homeless dominated. I walked through there yesterday during lunch - there are still two large spots where it is difficult / dangerous to walk due to lack of safe sidewalk.

The West End Area @ Night

MLK Drive anytime of the day

Ashby MARTA Station after the sun goes down

Bankhead

......Halloween, or not, these are some TRULY scary places in Atlanta.

As a comedian (whose name escapes me) once said, "It doesn't matter what city your in, their's always some s**t going down on MLK"

Not quite in Atlanta but definitely my 3 year old son's playroom after a days worth of playing. :blink:

In keeping with the children's theme:

I think this would be enough to scare me away from haunted houses for good. :ph34r:

I would most definitely agree. Since this is is a site about development I will keep my thoughts about such people to myself but when I saw this story on the news I was horrified. Even though his wife claims it was her idea, she should have known that the average parent would not even entertain thier child(ren) going within 5000' of this home.

As far as the other places listed below, I can't vouch for all of them but I could never see the occassion why someone not living in those quadrants would even be there. I mean how often would I even ride down MLK except the part that's in downtown. I take heed to my paternal grandmother's words...."if you go looking for trouble, you will definitely find it."

I'm in zone 3 :)

Sure, we regularly have some minor burglaries within the 5 to 10 blocks where I live every month, but fortunately few murders - one occured 2 years ago at a gas station. In most cases, you just have to be smart & know what you are doing & what is around you.

I'm in zone 3 :)

Sure, we regularly have some minor burglaries within the 5 to 10 blocks where I live every month, but fortunately few murders - one occured 2 years ago at a gas station. In most cases, you just have to be smart & know what you are doing & what is around you.

Brad, it looks to me like Zone 3 is doing a lot better. In 2002 there were 41 homicides and 44 in 2003, but it dropped to 29 in 2004. There were only 11 through July 2005, which suggests an even lower total for this year. That's cutting the murder rate by 50% in just a few years!

Zone 3 is a pretty big area, too, and I'm sure there are huge differences between various parts of the precinct. Many neighborhoods are just great, whereas a few others have had some problems.

I am totally shocked by Zone 2's numbers. I understand that larceny will be higher in zones 2 and 5 because of the area. It's just seeing these numbers are startling. In the grand scheme of things however I guess one can say that zone 2 is quite large and other than the murders (in this case more than 0 is too many) there are alot of people living there and the numbers when done percentage wise has to be much lower than what they used to be.

I agree with Andrea, it looks like crime is falling dramatically. I would be interested to see the stats broken down within the zones. Like having a map that shows hotspots. I'm sure some areas of each zone are more "active" than others.

Yes, it's interesting. Although Zone 2 has the lowest rate for crimes against the person (murder, rape, robbery, assault), it still ranks 4th highest in burglary and is second highest in larceny. My guess would be that the high numbers for theft of property (mainly shoplifting and theft from cars) in Zones 2 and 5 are probably related not only to their large population in these areas but also the fact that they have major shopping and/or entertainment districts.

Overall crime has been declining in Atlanta. However, there are still some troublesome areas, particularly in zones 1, 3, 4 and 5, where violent crimes are disproportionately high. I'm optimistic that things will continue to improve as new life is breathed into neglected neighborhoods.

Edited to add: You can break things down fairly specifically using this interactive map, but it's cumbersome.

Edited to add: You can break things down fairly specifically using this interactive map, but it's cumbersome.

Thank you very much Andrea. This was just what I was wanting. It was not as cumbersome as I had expected. I had a specific area in mind and to my thinking, not every area of zone 2 was "active." When I looked at the map, it appears that most of the activity occured in the business areas. There was two sub zones of zone 2 (areas 201 and 202) that experienced very few crimes, if any at all in a two week period. Even in these relatively residential locations, most of the activity occured near major roadways like I-75 and West Paces Ferry Rd.

Very interesting. Thank you again. I feel a little better.

I've heard people from the Atlanta area speak of the different zones (1,2,3, etc.). I'm curious as to what zones are? Are these areas that are broken down within Fulton county? Someone please explain.
I think they used to be called precincts and they just switched the terminology to "zones." I don't think it has anything to do with Fulton County, which has its own force for county areas outside the city limits.

I often hear Zone 3 mentioned in a number of rap songs by rappers from Atlanta. Where is Zone 3?

Going by what Andrea posted in her link, it is the zone just southeast of downtown that stretches to the southeastern corner of the city. and looks as if it includes some of downtown itself

Archived