Scariest places in Atlanta

Newnan

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

I'm trying to figure out where the heck Georgia Tech is on that zone map, it looks like it could be just about any of those. I have never felt unsafe at Tech, but I am sure after you head down North Ave for a while things could get bad, maybe down Ponce as well.

Nevermind, found it. Zone 5. Not many violent crimes, but good Lord at the larceny. Thefts from vehicles is an amzing number.

one thing to keep in mind about zone 5 is that the residents of this zone are the type who will call 911 for everything, whereas the residents of some of the other zones may not have such a, shall we say "constructive", relationship with APD. This would skew the crime statistics for property crimes in zone 5 as they use 911 calls to gather this info.

• 2 weeks later...

^ Not really - southwest Atlanta is home to Cascade Ave / Rd which is Black Atlanta's most influential & prestigious residential street. Southeast / South Central is home to Atlanta's worst neighborhoods - along Metropolitan, Jonesboro & McDonough. Metropolitan in particular, is likely the most dangerous street in the metro - even after being renamed 10 years ago due to the stigma it generated.

The problem with many 'ghetto' or gangsta oriented youth, is that they often want to promote their own neighborhood as the worst in order to gain 'street cred' or to 'keep it real'. I know I sound like a complete dork for quoting all these phrases, but it is in one sense pitiful but also humerous how certain neighborhoods are exagerated. I once knew one white person who followed hip hop who bragged that he grew up in the ghetto. That ghetto was home to $500k homes, in Virginia Highlands. I've also come across several bands that brag about being from the tough city of Decatur - whose zip code does contain crime ridden neighborhoods, but the town itself is an almost exclusive suburb. In fact on one MTV program that profiled Atlanta, it provided a pictorial of Atlanta scenese that supposedly were either 'real' or 'gangsta', they showed MARTA bus route 18, which is my bus.

Brad, I almost have to laugh but you are right. Decatur or Virginia-Highland as the hood? Puh-leeze. Not knocking anyone who lives there because I've lived in both places myself and think they are terrific, but they are both yuppie heavens. (That's probably why I lived there).

SE Atlanta does have some very tough neighborhoods -- I would feel edgy walking down the street in Thomasville at night, for instance. Parts of NW Atlanta out around Hollywood Road and Grove Park also have a pretty tough feel to them. Lakewood (which I commented on in another thread yesterday) isn't exactly a picture of sweetness and light either.

Having grown up on the south side of town and hung out in some of those areas when they were vibrant working class neighborhoods, it makes me sad to see that some of them are now places where residents don't feel safe. I personally don't think Atlanta can afford to leave these areas behind, and I hope we can find the will to make them better.

How about your local Publix/Home Depot during the threat of a snow flurry

Im from MN, and that reminds me of a story my teacher in high school told me a few years ago.

He was on a trip to georgia or florida or somewhere south and was on I-75. Well he happened to be traveling on the day of an ice storm, he said everyone just pulled over right away and the highway pretty much shut down while he kept on at about 35mph. Yes I know the south doesnt have salt trucks or any of that ready but its kind of funny how a little snow/ice shower can pretty much shut the place down. I wish we did that here, would get some nice breaks from work. The stupid snowplows clear the roads before we even wake up.... god i hated that during school. plus u get all that salt eating away at the bottom of your car.

^ Not really - southwest Atlanta is home to Cascade Ave / Rd which is Black Atlanta's most influential & prestigious residential street. Southeast / South Central is home to Atlanta's worst neighborhoods - along Metropolitan, Jonesboro & McDonough. Metropolitan in particular, is likely the most dangerous street in the metro - even after being renamed 10 years ago due to the stigma it generated.

The problem with many 'ghetto' or gangsta oriented youth, is that they often want to promote their own neighborhood as the worst in order to gain 'street cred' or to 'keep it real'. I know I sound like a complete dork for quoting all these phrases, but it is in one sense pitiful but also humorous how certain neighborhoods are exagerated. I once knew one white person who followed hip hop who bragged that he grew up in the ghetto. That ghetto was home to $500k homes, in Virginia Highlands. I've also come across several bands that brag about being from the tough city of Decatur - whose zip code does contain crime ridden neighborhoods, but the town itself is an almost exclusive suburb. In fact on one MTV program that profiled Atlanta, it provided a pictorial of Atlanta scenese that supposedly were either 'real' or 'gangsta', they showed MARTA bus route 18, which is my bus.

They aren't keeping it real, they're fronting. If you grew up in a rich neighborhood then say so, don't false-claim the ghetto life for the sake of selling records. I could see if many ghetto youth actually lived/are living that life, but if they aren't, then it's quite lame to make your neighborhood out to be the worst just so people can think you're tough.

Parts of NW Atlanta out around Hollywood Road and Grove Park also have a pretty tough feel to them.

Yes. Unfortunately, seldom does the white man ever witness the beautiful city skyline from the Bankhead Hwy area. I've been through there a few times taking short cuts to school. Dudes hanging out on the street corner, on sidewalks, front porches of homes -- just hanging out. And I'm talking LOTS of them. Kind of freaks me out. What are you guys doing here at 2pm in the afternoon on a Thursday?? Don't you people work or have jobs or any responsibilities? Anyway, I guess that may explain why these areas aren't doing well.

I personally don't think Atlanta can afford to leave these areas behind, and I hope we can find the will to make them better.

I seriously hope that we don't create another "tax allocation district" to remedy these areas. We're already taxed enough what with sewer taxes and all. Aren't the property taxes frozen in these areas? It may work in theory, but I'm still skeptical.

Yes. Unfortunately, seldom does the white man ever witness the beautiful city skyline from the Bankhead Hwy area. I've been through there a few times taking short cuts to school. Dudes hanging out on the street corner, on sidewalks, front porches of homes -- just hanging out. And I'm talking LOTS of them. Kind of freaks me out. What are you guys doing here at 2pm in the afternoon on a Thursday?? Don't you people work or have jobs or any responsibilities? Anyway, I guess that may explain why these areas aren't doing well.

Yeah, I'd like to know the explanation for this, too. Do these people have any legitimate reason for not being at work, or are they just no good bums? If there is an explanation, not one of them has ever bothered to get in touch and let me know what it is.

I seriously hope that we don't create another "tax allocation district" to remedy these areas. We're already taxed enough what with sewer taxes and all. Aren't the property taxes frozen in these areas? It may work in theory, but I'm still skeptical.

Wow, y'all get stuck with Atlanta sewer taxes and TAD's even in Mayretta? That stinks!! :(

Anytime you see a lot of dudes hanging on the corner, front porches of homes or sidewalks it means they're up to no good. They are either slinging drugs or about to do something stupid. Either that or they must be really bored. You never see that in the rich, wealthy neighborhoods, always the ghetto ones.

Archived