IN PROGRESS: Metro Centre Plaza | T.F. Green Station

Cotuit

Amtrak will stop at the new intermodal station when there is the demand for it. In the meantime the MBTA train from Boston to Wickford will stop there 12 times a day. And by the time it is built, hopefully there will be service to Woonsocket with P&W on a Quonset to Woonsocket line stopping another 8 times a day. And the third possibility is the Connecticut Shore Line train from New Haven to Providence stopping a few times each day. So there might be quite a bit of service in the next few years even without Amtrak.

All of these commuter rail stops are still only paper stops , the state still does not have an access agreement from AMTRAK.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am just theorizing, there is no new information. I am counting each train down from Boston as stopping twice in Warwick(once in each direction)which is how I come up with 12 stops. But I have no idea. However the more I think of this station I think it will be used as much as a commuter station to Providence and Boston as it will by airline passengers. I don't see many people coming off a plane and waiting an hour for the next train to Providence. Hopefully they will be able to schedule a train every 20 minutes into Providence but with the exisiting plans that won't happen.

OK, then. The existing plan between RIDOT and MBTA is for 8 trains in/out of Warwick to South Station. I assume there will be 8 between Wickford and Warwick as well. There is currently 15 weekday trains between Providence and South Station, so they plan on extending just over half of them.

As I have said before, the Woonsocket to Quonset commuter rail would be awesome and could really work given the factors involved (P&W is rumored to be interested, they have rolling stock available, the tracks are easily accessible and won't need to be 'paid' for, and AMTRAK is minimally involved for access to Providence Station). SLE seems like a no-brainer too, but that is harder to pull off logistically and financially.

Once the stations are built and people start taking the train the demand should grow for the service and hopefully more trains will be added to the schedule and the route extended to Westerly. By then the price of gas will be $8/gal. which should speed up the process.

Eventually there will be service every 20-25 minutes in each direction. This may not be for another 20 years but as less and less people use their car's there will be a need for more service.

Warwick Beacon: "Gilbane gets green light for intermodal"

http://warwickonline.com/warwickonline/ind...6&Itemid=30

Here are 2 older articles that didn't get posted yet:

Warwick Beacon (5/27/08): "Intermodal project already $34M more than first projected"

http://warwickonline.com/warwickonline/ind...4&Itemid=30

Beacon (5/27/08): "Editorial: Balancing needed road repairs and the intermodal project"

http://warwickonline.com/warwickonline/ind...5&Itemid=33

• 1 month later...

Noticable/physical construction is underway. Foundation work is starting to take place and they have cleared the last of the trees that were in the way (sorry Jen).

Notice has also been given that parts of the short-term lot in front of the airport will be closed off tomorrow (9/17/08) for work on the skywalk connector between the terminal and the intermodal facility.

The intemodal project will encompass the cleared areas on both sides of the tracks. The project will span all 3 tracks. The commuter parking structure and car rental parking/servicing/refueling areas will be on the west side of the tracks, while the rental car counters and customer service areas will be to the east. I think the RIPTA bus stop area will be on the east side as well.

The D'Ambra project will consume what is still the construction yard and concrete plant shown in pictures 7 and 8 and will tie directly into the intermodal project somewhere near the Jefferson Blvd side.

would RI be in its extra sucky recession if LETS SAY IF.. if the runway extension and this project were completed 10 years ago??

how beneficial will these 2 projects be for eco. develoooo?

Its very hard to quantify the result of those projects, however, you can see what its like now without it.

Longer Runway + Intermodal =

1) opportunity for longer flights

2) more acessible for busuiness & better environment for new business

3) more options and transportation choices = increased opportuty for commerce

4) more commerce and better business environment = more jobs

5) more jobs = more residents = more development

This wont happen overnight, but i thik 5-10 years are they are built there is be a noticeable impact.

Very well said. The longer runway and intermodal projects also offer 2-3 years of construction, engineering/design, and related jobs. I woudln't classify these projects as economic messiahs but they would go a long way in strengthening both the Warwick, Providence and regional economies.

Very well said. The longer runway and intermodal projects also offer 2-3 years of construction, engineering/design, and related jobs. I woudln't classify these projects as economic messiahs but they would go a long way in strengthening both the Warwick, Providence and regional economies.

That is pretty much it...the airport's capability - and the activity increasing that capability - provides fuel for the Providence Metro. It is a significant gateway and economic player that has been deliberately limited by local suburban politics and a lack of a grand metro vision.

Remember, the airport serves a metro running through most of RI, Bristol County MA, and beyond (40-60 miles beyond) - well over 2.5M pop. and some significant businesses. The more it provides superior service to Logan, the better.

Longer runway = international flights (Ryan Air, Virgin Atlantic)

International flights = more domestic flights

more domestic/International flights = more tourists

more tourists = more hotels

more hotels = more money spent in RI

wealthy Europeans = US branches of Euro companies locating to Metro Prov./Warwick

• 2 weeks later...

From www.pvdairport.com

Intermodal Update

1 October 2008

Following is an Intermodal Project update. In an effort to keep the public informed, RIAC will share regular construction updates as the project advances.

Intermodal Project Overview

Connecting people with planes, trains, cars and buses, the highly anticipated Intermodal Facility is presently under construction. Scheduled to open for train service in late 2010, the facility will serve MBTA commuter trains traveling between Warwick, Providence and Boston.

The project is a collaborative effort of the Rhode Island Airport Corporation in partnership with the Rhode Island Department of Transportation (RIDOT) and the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA).

Project Partners

Rhode Island Airport Corporation (RIAC),

Rhode Island Department of Transportation (RIDOT),

Federal Highway Administration (FHWA)

Project Manager

PB Americas

Construction Manager

Gilbane Building Company

Designer of Record

Jacobs Engineering Group (JEG)

Construction on the Intermodal Facility moves forward with all enabling projects now complete. The project is broken into four major areas of construction - the terminal enabling work (TEI); the skywalk; the customer service operations (CSO) and the garage and fueling platform. These components will be built concurrently and then connect at the end of the project.

Terminal Enabling Work (TEI)

Terminal end improvements will include the creation of a bridge connecting the skywalk to the airport terminal. Because of the elevation, escalators will take passengers down to the second level of the terminal pre-security, adjacent to the ticket counters.

Skywalk

Connecting the Terminal to the CSO building, the skywalk will span 1,200 feet. Moving walkways will transport travelers to and from the airport and the Intermodal Facility.

Customer Service Operations (CSO)

Adjacent to the parking garage, the CSO will house the rental car company offices, customer service counters and kiosks.

Garage and Fueling Platform

A six-level parking garage will be built over the railroad tracks. Levels 3, 4 and 5 of the garage will contain Quick Turnaround Areas (QTA) with vacuuming stations, car wash bays and three open-air fueling platforms for use by the rental car companies. An 850 ft. platform will be constructed, partially inside the parking garage, adjacent to the tracks and will accommodate Massachusetts Bay Transit Authority (MBTA) commuter rail customers.

Two Week Construction Outlook

For the TEI, a construction fence has been installed between the short term parking lot and the terminal entrance. Relocation of electric lines is complete. Power and gas lines are being relocated. Upcoming site work will include removal of vegetation and soil prep. This will not impact available parking spaces for the public.

In the skywalk area, trees and shrubs will be transplanted in preparation for more extensive site excavation. Work of note in the coming weeks will include test pile driving.

At the CSO location, a survey of the building footprint is taking place. The site is also being prepped for the building foundation which will be installed over the next few months.

Work at the garage and fueling platform will include test pile driving in preparation for pile driving for the garage and platform building foundations.

From www.pvdairport.com

Intermodal Project Overview

Connecting people with planes, trains, cars and buses, the highly anticipated Intermodal Facility is presently under construction. Scheduled to open for train service in late 2010, the facility will serve MBTA commuter trains traveling between Warwick, Providence and Boston.

With the present attitude of the Governor and State Legislature I wonder what buses it will serve? All T.F. Green RIPTA service is proposed to be canceled.

• 2 weeks later...

PBN: "Intermodal station update a chance to push for R.I. transportation bond issue"

http://www.pbn.com/stories/36013.html

Is Scott A. ever going to get it? Here "in the City of Warwick". He tries to connect TF Green to Warwick. So immature.

Someone has to tell him people do not fly to Warwick or any other suburb. Perhaps he needs to be advised that you are not "in" Baltimore when you land at BWI. Next time I fly to New Orleans I'll announce I have arrived in "Kenner".

I am fying to Providence and writing to DOT and the Governor to press to ensure the station is called T.F. Green Intermodel Station.

Archived