Cotuit

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Excellent! Where did you get these?

I can't believe how big the airport complex will be if/when the terminal expansion happens.

Little does anyone know that the current expansion that is going on at TF Green will be complemented by another expansion a few years down the road. Nothing official has gone public, but the everything is in the works at RIAC from what my manager has been telling me.

Little does anyone know that the current expansion that is going on at TF Green will be complemented by another expansion a few years down the road. Nothing official has gone public, but the everything is in the works at RIAC from what my manager has been telling me.

Sounds cool.

*IMs Matt for more info* :D

ANY further true expansion is subject to the results of the Environmental Impact Statement and it's findings as determined by the FAA. There is certainly nothing specific that will happen, but there are things being studied like more gates, expanded parking, reconfigured terminal roadways, new cargo and airport/airline vehicle repair (GSE), etc. - these things can be found in the airport's website and have been quite public for some time now...

ANY further true expansion is subject to the results of the Environmental Impact Statement and it's findings as determined by the FAA. There is certainly nothing specific that will happen, but there are things being studied like more gates, expanded parking, reconfigured terminal roadways, new cargo and airport/airline vehicle repair (GSE), etc. - these things can be found in the airport's website and have been quite public for some time now...

I realized that as I was talking to Matt. :D Over 10 more gates. Woo!

The meat of the facility will be a 3,200-space garage, housing cars for the 10 rental-car companies that use the airport. The companies will use 2,200 of the spaces, while the rest will be set aside for commuters using the rail station.
Can this be right? The rental agencies need 2,200 spaces? Do they have that now? Where do they park npw, and what will happen to those spaces?

The department is planning for eight roundtrips from Boston to both new stations per day on weekdays, with no service on weekends. Studies indicate that by 2020, about 1,000 riders would take the train from Wickford each day, and a few hundred more from Warwick.

I wonder if Shore Line East could run to Providence to fill in the gaps where MBTA is not running south of Providence.

Can this be right? The rental agencies need 2,200 spaces? Do they have that now? Where do they park npw, and what will happen to those spaces?

I wonder if Shore Line East could run to Providence to fill in the gaps where MBTA is not running south of Providence.

Yes - the first 2 floors of Garage 'A' are used entirely by the car rental companies. When they move to the Intermodal - those 2 floors will be used as public parking (and lots of additional parking revenue for the airport). Those 2 floors will quickly become the highest demand location since its the closest garage to the terminal and the lowest floors. Avis, Budgetm and Hertz are in there now - the others are scattered about on Post and Airport Roads.

As mentioned many times at today's groundbreaking - SLE is already showing interest in coming all the way up to Providence. It;s mentioned so often, by so many people - I get the feeling that its pretty much going to happen. I can envision the MBTA going as far south as Wickford (as already agreed upon) and SLE going as far north as Providence. That way, the airport and Wickford Junction would get 'double' service. :D

As mentioned many times at today's groundbreaking - SLE is already showing interest in coming all the way up to Providence. It;s mentioned so often, by so many people - I get the feeling that its pretty much going to happen. I can envision the MBTA going as far south as Wickford (as already agreed upon) and SLE going as far north as Providence. That way, the airport and Wickford Junction would get 'double' service. :D

This'll be great if/when Utopia happens.

As mentioned many times at today's groundbreaking - SLE is already showing interest in coming all the way up to Providence.

That would be awesome, and good not only for Providence, but for New London. Having commuter rail access to Providence makes New London (and envrions) that more attractive a place to live. Anecdotally, I know I have many co-workers who live in SE CT.

And for Providence, it increases the geographic reach of our labor pool, giving companies insentive to re-locate here. SLE could be extended now, at the very least, papers should be signed agreeing to make this happen so that Providence can advertise the fact to interested corporations.

That would be awesome, and good not only for Providence, but for New London. Having commuter rail access to Providence makes New London (and envrions) that more attractive a place to live. Anecdotally, I know I have many co-workers who live in SE CT.

And for Providence, it increases the geographic reach of our labor pool, giving companies insentive to re-locate here. SLE could be extended now, at the very least, papers should be signed agreeing to make this happen so that Providence can advertise the fact to interested corporations.

Yes it would be awesome and I'm really hoping they don;t wait until the intermodal opens. They could go up the city now and bridge the BOS-NYC gap. I have a feeling they'll do it when Phase 2 of the South County rail study is finished and they 'officially' adopt Westerly and Kingston into the mix. That would provide the added revenue SLE would need to operate the route up to Providence. As long as AMTRAK plays 'nice' - there is a chance we could see this in short time...

The Westerly/Stonignton/New London areas are doing quite well and there are LOTS of great reasons to add the service.

As long as AMTRAK plays 'nice' - there is a chance we could see this in short time...

Well, we could almost tell AMTRAK to go screw as far as adding service to T.F. Green is concerned (and I'm leaning towards us telling them just that). We'd have commuter rail coverage from the Airport to New Haven and Boston. Sure you wouldn't be able to get direct from Green to NYC without a transfer, but how many people are really stepping off a plane in RI trying to get to NYC? I know we still have to pay AMTRAK for the use of the tracks, but we don't need to do $90million in upgrades to get them to stop at Green.

ah yes - welcome to the world according to AMTRAK. Thats why I even mentioned it with regard to SLE service. I can see AMTRAK making some 'unreasonable' requests/demands that could jeopardize the adding of the service in the short term. Its just my opinion, but it seems AMTRAK is just tough to deal with regarding this kind of stuff...

beauracracy comes to mind in fact

...and yes, I agree - MBTA to the north and SLE to the south and I see very little true need to even have AMTRAK stop (RI could save the 90+ millions and put it towards buying it's own freaking train or subsodize the MBTA & SLE service for years with that money). These service would provide what is needed at a cheaper price.

Archived