Cotuit

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

From the Projo:

Regardless of who dreamed it up, now that the station is officially under way, Avedisian said that it will allow his city to draw even more hotels and development to a place that recently became able to boast that it has the most hotel rooms in the state, for the moment even more than the capital city.

"Ten years ago, you would never have thought that the city of Warwick would be competing like that," he said.

I love how the mayor is all for this development and all the business it is going to bring to Warwick yet dead set against extending the runways and increasing traffic at the airport! Is he a moron? Does he not see a conflict here in that a chief goal of the new station and garage is to spur increased traffic and thus increase the need for more hotels, etc???

I love how the mayor is all for this development and all the business it is going to bring to Warwick yet dead set against extending the runways and increasing traffic at the airport! Is he a moron? Does he not see a conflict here in that a chief goal of the new station and garage is to spur increased traffic and thus increase the need for more hotels, etc???

Yes he is a moron. He's being a politician. Residents don't see a train station as a threat (but rather an asset) yet a runway extension is a huge threat to them, so he opposes it.

Warwick REALLY needs to use this train station to help give it some sort of urban center. If there ever was a place where TOD could work, this station area is it! Hopefully they'll be smart about it and not continue their current horrific development patterns.

mental757 - do you know when detailed renders will be available online? I've surfed the web and have come up empty. The drawing I saw in the ProJo did not reveal a whole lot.

the ones posted earlier in this thread are the most current to date, but I've heard there will be minor changes to parts of the complex until the final design is completed in a few months.

Is there word when constrution will start?

The bid for a CM will go out this summer - so figure by the end of the year they'll be on board (pun intended) and working on the construction bid docs, etc. Early 2007, we should see construction bidding and by spring' actual construction. :D

While I agree that 8 trains per weekday is far from convenient - people will certainly use it for RI commuters and out-of-towners that are savvy enough to use a computer and plan thier trip according to schedules (to save a bunch of money in most cases).

The other thing is that it's still 3 years away - more than enough time to negotiate more service from MBCR and/or SLE or even P&W if they are interested. One thing has become VERY clear to me - RIDOT is clearly focused on making train service in RI succeed and there many people who share that desire...

• 2 months later...

Any updates on this one?

I also finally had time to think about Bakst's editorial. :D While I love the idea of having trains to Boston, do you think that maybe RIPTA (gasp) could operate some form of train into the city? That way those heading to the city wouldn't have to wait around as much.

I remember that Philadelphia's airport has a commuter train come every half hour. Granted, I know that we're much smaller than PHL, but I'm not talking about a insanely long train, either!

Any updates on this one?

I also finally had time to think about Bakst's editorial. :D While I love the idea of having trains to Boston, do you think that maybe RIPTA (gasp) could operate some form of train into the city? That way those heading to the city wouldn't have to wait around as much.

I remember that Philadelphia's airport has a commuter train come every half hour. Granted, I know that we're much smaller than PHL, but I'm not talking about a insanely long train, either!

a follow up to what he said, has anything been said about a train service either ripta, or MBTA, and what is the word on the lengthning of the runways and having an incoming and outgoing flights section?

a follow up to what he said, has anything been said about a train service either ripta, or MBTA, and what is the word on the lengthning of the runways and having an incoming and outgoing flights section?

from what I have heard, the MBTA has committed to running 8 weekday roundtrips between TFG and SoSta. I've posted a few articles regarding RIDOT securing 3.5M for the purchase of news cars/locomotive for the expanded service. Since we have until 2009 before the station opens, perhaps the continued success of the Providence weekend service will show reason to extend those down to TFG. Wickford Junction should also open in 2009, so it will take some time to see what the actual travel patterns and trends end up being. It will also depend when/if URI/Kingston and Westerly come on-line for commuter rail. Cranston, EG, and Pwtucket/CF are all hoping to get into the action as well. The more stations that come to fruition, the more likely we will see additional MBTA service and/or Shore Line East or RIPTA-run trains doing some runs.

the runway extension is still being studied in the EIS process and will be for another year.

not sure what you mean by saying an 'incoming and outgoing flights section" - sorry, but feel free to elaborate...

yes, people do travel 7 days a week. But the train may not support enough non-business day traffic to feed just the airport and weekend city events and shopping. Saturday is far and away the slowest air travel day (and the airlines schedule as such). To be honest, RIPTA express buses could run up route 4 and 95 on the weekends until enough train traffic was generated for the airport and city runs.

yes, people do travel 7 days a week. But the train may not support enough non-business day traffic to feed just the airport and weekend city events and shopping. Saturday is far and away the slowest air travel day (and the airlines schedule as such). To be honest, RIPTA express buses could run up route 4 and 95 on the weekends until enough train traffic was generated for the airport and city runs.

I think anything to connect the city to the airport more would be a huge help for providence and for the airport.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

quick update: A specific project manager (person, not a firm) is to be selected soon. Finalization of documents and then bids for construction to the street this spring - construction by fall (maybe??????)

So basically it got pushed back even further? (Wasn't construction supposed to start in the spring?)

Archived