• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

Train station construction to begin

The new airport train station planned for Warwick is right on track, a top state official said yesterday at a mutual fund shareholders meeting in Providence.

A sky bridge that will connect the new train station, which is expected to be completed by 2010, bottom left, to the T.F. Green Airport terminal.1597621345_e1fa01f20f_o.jpg

• 2 months later...

Warwick Beacon: "$200M project means offices, hotel next to intermodal facility"

http://warwickonline.com/warwickonline/ind...1&Itemid=30

here are parts of 3 paragraphs from the article:

"A Warwick contractor best known for his sewer construction work has proposed a major development that would convert about a quarter-mile of Jefferson Boulevard into the site of a 320-room full-service hotel and four office buildings with more than 540,000 square feet of office and retail space.

D

YAY!!!!! I was afraid that the opportunity to turn this into an urban area was slipping away.

When/if these things come to pass, then the pressure will be on to replace the Leviton complex and the associated former mill housing. The only part of the Leviton property that I would save would be the original Elizabeth Mill. The rest is just ugly industrial sprawl.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I love the last paragraph of the article the best:

"Meanwhile, state authorities say the intermodal project is progressing. Pre-cast concrete contracts were awarded early this year and the $222.5 million project is slated for completion in late summer 2010. The state, however, is still without a contract with Amtrak that would allow MBTA to use its rails"

222.5 million dollars worth of precast and no trains for the train station.

• 1 month later...

Drove by the other day and nothing was going on there. It looks the same as it did last year. One large pile of rubble in the middle of the site. It was a Saturday but it looks like there is nothing happening. No signs, no pictures, no equipment, no progress two years post ground breaking ceremony.

The work is mostly being done in front of the airport right now. The construction trailer complex has been put in place on the east side of the tracks and they just finished knocking down a building on the southern tip of the project area (formerly part of the D'Ambra construction property). The garage & station are mostly per-cast, so that will be put together towards the end of the overall project.

• 2 weeks later...

The work is mostly being done in front of the airport right now. The construction trailer complex has been put in place on the east side of the tracks and they just finished knocking down a building on the southern tip of the project area (formerly part of the D'Ambra construction property). The garage & station are mostly per-cast, so that will be put together towards the end of the overall project.

But not even a fence with a picture of what the final project will look like. There could be some foundation work going on. It has the same look as where the 110 was going to be built downtown. Like a cancelled project.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Beacon: "Airport delays award of intermodal contract"

http://warwickonline.com/warwickonline/ind...4&Itemid=30

"Intermodal project needs Amtrak's blessing"

http://warwickonline.com/warwickonline/ind...3&Itemid=30

Interesting I was in the area yesterday and noticed that Gilbane has begun to mobilize for this project. Construction Trailers are in place and they were setting electrical poles for the construction service.

Interesting I was in the area yesterday and noticed that Gilbane has begun to mobilize for this project. Construction Trailers are in place and they were setting electrical poles for the construction service.

So is this project begining at the airport side or the train track side? In other words, where were those trailers parked? I'm guessing at the Jefferson Blvd location. Just think, Warwick could become the Mississauga of Providence, as it is of Toronto. :silly: And I know how much some posters in this forum hate Mississauga. :blink: It's amazing, when I first visited Mississauga about 20 or so yrs ago the population was about 192,000. During my next visit I saw the number increase to 250,000. I just checked and the unofficial population is 685,000. That's amazing. In 20yrs the population of Mississauga has increased about 300%. I was told by a relative that when the City of Toronto was attempting to incorporate surronding cities into one metropolitan form of government Mississauga was the only city to turn down the offer. Why? Because when Mississauga was just a sleepy bedroom community Toronto didn't want anything to do with it. Now that they are a thriving city, Toronto wants them to become a part of their family. Mississauga told them to take a hike. :offtopic:

So is this project begining at the airport side or the train track side? In other words, where were those trailers parked? I'm guessing at the Jefferson Blvd location.

The trailers were located at the corner of Kilvert Street and Imera Ave. Kilvert is the intersection that is the exit from the airport adjacent to the Parking Garages. This road has an overpass at the railroad to Jefferson Blvd. so it makes sense to have access from here. Trucks can exit the Airport Connector or 95 south directly onto Jefferson and avoid post road.

I still have my concerns about not having Amtrak approval.

• 2 weeks later...

Amtrak will stop at the new intermodal station when there is the demand for it. In the meantime the MBTA train from Boston to Wickford will stop there 12 times a day. And by the time it is built, hopefully there will be service to Woonsocket with P&W on a Quonset to Woonsocket line stopping another 8 times a day. And the third possibility is the Connecticut Shore Line train from New Haven to Providence stopping a few times each day. So there might be quite a bit of service in the next few years even without Amtrak.

Is this new information? I had heard that there would be 8 per day on the MBTA to South Station. 12 would be great! I also am a firm believer in the Woonsocket to Quonset line using the P&W freight rail (the State owns that), which would save lots of money in not having to pay to use those tracks and P&W could provide the service relatively inexpensively.

As far as AMTRAK goes, they were supposed to have a vote on the agreement last week, but have seen nothing in the papers - never mind that they will stop there if there is demand. The Shore Line East has been talked about publicly as well.

I hope you're right!!!

Archived