Fifth-Third Bank building

william

Just noticed today that construction of the Fifth-Third Bank building in Hillsboro Village is progressing quickly. It will be located behind and east of the AmSouth Bank building. Supposed to be a traditional building and blend with the row of buildings on what is essentially a semi-private street one block removed from Wedgewood. Let's hope it looks classy.

WW

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just noticed today that construction of the Fifth-Third Bank building in Hillsboro Village is progressing quickly. It will be located behind and east of the AmSouth Bank building. Supposed to be a traditional building and blend with the row of buildings on what is essentially a semi-private street one block removed from Wedgewood. Let's hope it looks classy.

WW

Fifth Third has a history of large towers in the cities they are in. For example, here is the one in Lexingotn, Ky that I was talking about yesterday. It is the Lexington Financial Center, but is the regional HQ for 5/3rd Bank. Louisville has a tall tower too for Fifth Third.

(It's the tall blue glass building in the center.)

388760.jpg

This in Hillsboro is good news no doubt!

There will NOT be a 5th 3rd tower downtown. William has already confirmed that with sources at the bank. I also spoke to some 5th 3rd bank executives who stayed at my hotel and a tower in Nashville is totally out of the question.

They've got plenty of space in the Financial Center I guess. Nashville's a new market for them. Right now their focus is growing market share and increasing deposits.

They've got plenty of space in the Financial Center I guess. Nashville's a new market for them. Right now their focus is growing market share and increasing deposits.

Having a skyscraper does a lot for advertising and presence in a city. They could be like First Tennessee and just slap their name on a tall tower with no logo. First Tennessee didn't build anything, but got its name on a 400 foot tower with a very visible logo. If they want to stay here they should think about investing in that. I know they have some offices in the Financial Center, but their name isn't really in good sight.

One thing that seems to be somewhat overlooked is the banking industries sensitivity to neighborhoods. This new 5/3 in Hillsboro Village is important in that it will blend with the beautiful old houses on the side street parallel to Wedgewood. NARAS, the national recording academy located there years ago to a old stone house. It's an incredible little strip of houses surrounded by tall trees within a stone's throw of the Village. It would be easy to throw up a typical branch, but 5/3's intent to blend with the neighborhood is good to see.

First Tennessee on Hillsboro is an attractive branch, built to the street with tons of landscaping. The Bank of America's reclamation of the old house on Music Row is one of the banks most unique buildings. And now, First Citizen's (I think that's the name of it) has positioned itself right in the strip of trendy clubs and restaurants on Demonbreun instead of plowing something down for its purpose. First Tennessee on West End will conform with the land use policy for that area.

So besides towers, banks can do a lot to provide services to a neighborhood, especially inner city areas, without suburbanzing. And that's good to see.

Archived