Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GRDadof3

Grand Rapids Daytime Population

GRDadof3    1826

There was an interesting article a short while ago in the Washington Post about how different cities in the U.S. grow during the day (commuters adding to the population) versus the nightime population. Grand Rapids faired pretty well with a 17% increase during the day. Washington DC was the worst with 72% gain during the day. I say worst because it's hard to have a vibrant city without a consistent population of residents all hours of the day and night, IMO. DC might be an exceptional case with the preponderence of government offices in the compact city, but Atlanta grows by a whopping 62%! Anyway, interesting article:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...5102001599.html

I'm surprised I hadn't seen it posted yet. Also according to the study, Detroit's population SHRINKS during the day by .1% :huh:

torgo    3

There was an interesting article a short while ago in the Washington Post about how different cities in the U.S. grow during the day (commuters adding to the population) versus the nightime population. Grand Rapids faired pretty well with a 17% increase during the day. Washington DC was the worst with 72% gain during the day. I say worst because it's hard to have a vibrant city without a consistent population of residents all hours of the day and night, IMO. DC might be an exceptional case with the preponderence of government offices in the compact city, but Atlanta grows by a whopping 62%! Anyway, interesting article:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...5102001599.html

I'm surprised I hadn't seen it posted yet. Also according to the study, Detroit's population SHRINKS during the day by .1% :huh:

We were just talking about this at work today. We were talking about Grand Haven, apparently only about a quarter of Grand Haven's residents work in the city. By and large, everyone else goes to Holland, Muskegon, or GR. I was very surprised by that.

GRDadof3    1826

indeed. Lake Buena Vista Fl grows by 192237.5% during the day.

:lol:

One more reason to add to my "why I don't like Florida" list :P

GRDadof3    1826

Speaking of night-time population, take a look at this night-time light map that someone posted in the Coffee Shop area:

2k_night.jpg

Some of you stats guys and gals must be loving this :thumbsup: It's interesting figuring out where different population centers are, and where the "Sprawlopolis's" are. It looks like the Atlantalopolis area is now bigger than Detroitopolis.

torgo    3

Speaking of night-time population, take a look at this night-time light map that someone posted in the Coffee Shop area:

2k_night.jpg

Some of you stats guys and gals must be loving this :thumbsup: It's interesting figuring out where different population centers are, and where the "Sprawlopolis's" are. It looks like the Atlantalopolis area is now bigger than Detroitopolis.

Dallasopolis and Minneapolis(opolis) are pretty big (sprawling) too. I have a big 24x36 poster of that in my office.

Lmichigan    9

Actually, that area is fairly dense for the simple fact that most of the land inland is swamp. When you consider the population of the state and the small area they have to build on, it has to be dense.

GRDadof3    1826

But it's not really "dense". If you have ever driven from say, Daytona down to Miami, it is pretty much suburban sprawl from what I remember (it was back in my college days).

Lmichigan    9

Well, it really depends whether your are talking about built density, or pure population density. You are right in that it is not built "dense" though. Still, some of South Florida's cities have some of the highest population densities in the South, and the country as a whole.

Prankster    29

Back to Grand Rapids, does anyone have the current figures for downtown's working population? I have heard from 22,000 all the way to 40,000. I would think that if they go with the 40k figure, it would include all the students also.