Grand Rapids Daytime Population

GRDadof3

There was an interesting article a short while ago in the Washington Post about how different cities in the U.S. grow during the day (commuters adding to the population) versus the nightime population. Grand Rapids faired pretty well with a 17% increase during the day. Washington DC was the worst with 72% gain during the day. I say worst because it's hard to have a vibrant city without a consistent population of residents all hours of the day and night, IMO. DC might be an exceptional case with the preponderence of government offices in the compact city, but Atlanta grows by a whopping 62%! Anyway, interesting article:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...5102001599.html

I'm surprised I hadn't seen it posted yet. Also according to the study, Detroit's population SHRINKS during the day by .1% :huh:

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was an interesting article a short while ago in the Washington Post about how different cities in the U.S. grow during the day (commuters adding to the population) versus the nightime population. Grand Rapids faired pretty well with a 17% increase during the day. Washington DC was the worst with 72% gain during the day. I say worst because it's hard to have a vibrant city without a consistent population of residents all hours of the day and night, IMO. DC might be an exceptional case with the preponderence of government offices in the compact city, but Atlanta grows by a whopping 62%! Anyway, interesting article:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...5102001599.html

I'm surprised I hadn't seen it posted yet. Also according to the study, Detroit's population SHRINKS during the day by .1% :huh:

We were just talking about this at work today. We were talking about Grand Haven, apparently only about a quarter of Grand Haven's residents work in the city. By and large, everyone else goes to Holland, Muskegon, or GR. I was very surprised by that.

Speaking of night-time population, take a look at this night-time light map that someone posted in the Coffee Shop area:

2k_night.jpg

Some of you stats guys and gals must be loving this :thumbsup: It's interesting figuring out where different population centers are, and where the "Sprawlopolis's" are. It looks like the Atlantalopolis area is now bigger than Detroitopolis.

Speaking of night-time population, take a look at this night-time light map that someone posted in the Coffee Shop area:

2k_night.jpg

Some of you stats guys and gals must be loving this :thumbsup: It's interesting figuring out where different population centers are, and where the "Sprawlopolis's" are. It looks like the Atlantalopolis area is now bigger than Detroitopolis.

Dallasopolis and Minneapolis(opolis) are pretty big (sprawling) too. I have a big 24x36 poster of that in my office.

Archived