Future Projects Recap

Spartan

We talk about all of the future projects in Spartanburg in the other thread, but I think it is easy to forget what they are, so here is a quick summary of planned & rumored projects.

• The Chapmap Cultural Center

• Gilbert Shoe Building rehab for the Hub-Bub facility

• Narrowing & Streetscaping of E Main from Converse to Pine

• Possible Mixed use along West Main near the Steeple Drive-In

• Rumors surrounding the Salvation Army Thrift Store (Daniel Morgan and Main)

Those are just future projects, not ones that are u/c now. I tend to remember projects that are related to downtown.... am I forgetting anything?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

don't forget the Mary Black Foundation building and Johnson's new buildings on east main. I thought i remembered that someone was redoing the Liberty Square Mall downtown. I'm not sure if that's what it's even called. Is the Warrior Duck building completed yet?

Ah yes, the Mary Black Foundation buiding on Kennedy is underway as we speak. They are working with some time constraints, so that one should go up pretty fast.

Liberty Square Mall? Where is that? I can't say as I've heard of it.

The Warrior Duck building I have no idea. Last time I was there it looked pretty complete from the outside. They were still working on the parking lot behind it.

Is there a different building on Kennedy that the foundation is working on, or did you mean E. Main? That office is really taking shape.

Liberty Square is the set of stores on Liberty street between Main and Broad. Renovation is still underway. Don't know about tenants. Also across the street they putting a Cafe' Isha in the building on Main/Liberty built earlier by Johnson Development. I think that will just about fill that building.

Drove in the Warrior Duck parking lot and the exterior is complete and they are now working inside.

They are starting to set the foundations for the Johnson Development building on Main across from the Mary Black Foundation.

For Liberty Square: do you mean Johnson's development on the SW corner Liberty & Broad, or the building that lines Liberty between Main and Broad?

If its the latter, then I am glad ot hear that is being rennovated. That horrid shingle roof is the worst eyesore in that area.

The one on Kennedy St is the Spartanburg County Foundation. Sorry for the mix up. They are being relocaed so that Johnson can build some more of those things on E Main.

Walked through downtown today for lunch. The Cafe' Isha is in the bottom floor of the Johnson Building at the corner of Liberty and Main.

The Liberty Square shops that are the ones with the old ugly shingles that are currently being removed!!! Naturally the renovations to those stores are going slow because right now I think they are still in the demolition stage. It looks like they are putting apartments upstairs. Can't really tell yet.

I read on GoUpstate yesterday (I lost the link) that the city is eyeing Harris Place for future redevelopment. Harris Pl is a very small one block, one way street that the last block of 'Kennedy' before it ends at Daniel Morgan. They say that area could be Spartanburgs equivilant to Greenville's West End. The mayor envisions a water feature created by the spring that is on that flour mill site.

With the renovation of the Gilbert Shoe company, that area could see a big increase in young artists and professionals. The Hub City writers project is moving their offices there joing hub-bub.com. They are also creating 4 live/work spaces for aspiring artists. It will have a 3200 sq. ft exhibit area for paintings and readings.

They are going to attempt to market the ground floor to restaurants etc...

Check out the link:

http://www.hubcity.org/nws_glibert.htm

• 2 weeks later...

Archived