Woolworth condominium tower....

tombarnes

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

I was going to add this to the development thread but I wanted to ask this, has anyone been able to find a rendering of this project on the internet!? Even if this project is having some problems I would like to see what it looks like.

I saw the pic somewhere, but, unfortunately I can't remember where. I hope this tower is a go, I really do, but, it's not going to fly at its proposed location. I'm not sure why certain developers remain adament about building highrises on the edge of the Quarter when they know the law and how difficult it is to get an exemption from that law.

I hope this tower is a go, I really do, but, it's not going to fly at its proposed location. I'm not sure why certain developers remain adament about building highrises on the edge of the Quarter when they know the law and how difficult it is to get an exemption from that law.

I agree. I really hope this tower works out, but I just don't see why it couldn't have been proposed anywhere else in downtown. There are all kinds of great locations in the city for this tower, most of which don't have anywhere near the amount of zoning laws that the area surrounding the French Quarter does. I don't see why this tower wasn't just proposed on Poydras, other than the developer being able to use the marketing title "on the edge of the historic French Quarter." -_-

• 5 months later...

Is there any news about this building?

...it has been talked about in a while, so I thought I would bring it up again

I know that the project is officially approved, but I haven't heard anything about it since it and the rendering were featured in the "Going Up" article in the Times Picayune.

I have yet to find a rendering of this building. The location of the building really doesnt bother me too much. I would prefer a taller and less bulky building so that shadows are minimized. But this area of Canal Street can certainly use the development. Now, if only we can bulldoze Iberville and sell the property the whole area would just blossom. Also, how does everyone here feel about the hotel vote for the building in the French Quarter. I believe the vote is either this week or next. Do you support or oppose it? I personally would support it if they could force the developer to develope the rest of the lot with residential/commercial. That would certainly be better than an asphalt surface lot. Interested to hear your opinions!

^Thank you very much, JWR! That will be greatly appreciated. :D

As for the design of the tower, overall, I like it. When I first saw the rendering, I wasn't exactly a huge fan, but the design has definately grown on me.

Renderings are Gold IMO. They are slow to become public sometimes.

And in this case, it just took forever to get the rendering spread around the internet, which felt even more annoying. Multiple renderings of the tower have been printed in the Times Picayune over the last few months, but it took forever for someone to get it up on the web.

Thanks JWR!

They are planning to tear down the building that's currently there (the old Woolworth's), right?

I believe so, and that's one reason the project drew a lot of heat. The other reason being its close proximity to the French Quarter. But according to Emporis, all plans for this project have been approved.

I think this tower has a great design. Anyone want to take a guess as to what the square indentation in the building towards the top will be. You would think the pool would be on the roof where there is the most sun exposure. Regardless, this area of canal needs developments of this nature.

^Yea, development's like this will be great for that area of Canal. And as for the indentation at the top, I noticed that as well, and I was also wondering what that may be. I guess we'll have to wait for some floorplans to be released.

Im guessing that indentation will be on the other side of the building also. This project combined with the Audubon Building condos, The reopening of the Ritz Carlton and the Saenger Theatre, the biotechnology building, Krauss apartments, the texaco building condos and the new Charity Hospital complex will completely change that area. Also some buisness guy out of Texas bought the Orpheum Theatre. So Im sure it will reopen now. The previous owners didnt have flood insurance.

Archived