Which interstate in SC should be widened first?

krazeeboi

Which interstate should be widened first?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Which should it be?

• I-20
    • I-26
    • I-126
    • I-77
    • I-85
    • I-385
    • I-95
    • other

Per Jerseyman's request, here's a poll concerning which interstate in SC should be widened first.

I have all of our two-digit interstates, plus I-385 and I-126 (due to heavy traffic volume).

I included "other" in case someone thought some of the lesser known ones should be widened (e.g., I-520 in N. Augusta).

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I voted for I-26...spurring from the poll asking about widening this highway from Columbia to Charleston. I would vote for "Other" as a 2nd choice, referring to I-526. I hate to say this, but the Mark Clark Expressway is congested enough; it would make sense to widen this interstate as well as completing the loop.

Thanks Krazeeboi! :D

I would say I-85 needs to be widened first because it is the "sunbelt" corridor between Durham and Atlanta. The highway in SC should be all 8 lanes while interchanges with high volumes of traffic be upgraded to high speed interchanges. For example, a diamond interchange could be a SPUI. A cloverleaf with a big weave lane problem can include collector/distributor lanes. For freeway interchanges that see high traffic volumes; construct direct flyovers (like SC 31 @ SC 22). I am jumping out of state brielfy, 8 lanes from NC/SC to the US 15 interchange in Durham, 6 lanes to Henderson at the US 1 freeway, remain at 4 lanes north of Henderson to Petersburg at I-95. With all of the improvements, I-85 should never be a toll road since many South Carolinians use this road heavily!

Interstates ranked from highest to lowest priority for widening (not including beltways):

2. I-26

3. I-77

4. I-385

5. I-20

6. I-95 (see below)

7. I-73 & I-74

As i am sentimental with I-95 in North Carolina, it should be a toll facility so that any money that is generated goes straight to road maintienence such as adding lanes and improving traveler services. SCDOT should not put in any money to I-95 while concentrating on the rest of the highway system in the state. While some travelers will take other highways to avoid I-95 (using US 17 or I-77 to avoid some of I-95), truckers will not and are much more concerned about making the best time possible. If I-95 is a toll facility, it can be closely monitored and be taken care of. Finally, most South Carolinans are not using this road since the masses are from out of state traveling between the Northeast and Florida so in my opinion, why should SCDOT pay for this road when most residents of SC are not?

I think I-26 in Columbia needs to be widened. Especially once heading out the city towards Newberry traffic seems to always be congested. I-20 is fine!!

I-20 has become worse over the past few years (especially from Monticello to Malfunction Junction). I-20 needs at least 1-2 more lanes from Clemson road to the Lexington exit.

This reminds me of a joke that I heard at a UVA - Clemson game 20 years ago. What is the best thing that comes out of South Carolina?

I-85

... feh, I guess it isn't that funny anymore.

No, it's not...LOL.

I did discover that parts of I-20 through Columbia actually get backed up during evening rush hour. I was surprised at that. Columbia has more traffic than I thought initially.

I-77 has just recently been widened where it really counts--from Rock Hill into Charlotte. I appreciate SCDOT everytime I cross the state line; the difference in the quality of the interstate between York County and Mecklenburg County is significant.

I-95 needs no widening, but as has been stated several times, the I-26/I-95 junction needs some SERIOUS work.

I-26 could certainly use some widening between Orangeburg and Columbia. I cast my vote for I-26.

It has also been stated that I-85 through Greenville should be widened as well.

I-77 has just recently been widened where it really counts--from Rock Hill into Charlotte. I appreciate SCDOT everytime I cross the state line; the difference in the quality of the interstate between York County and Mecklenburg County is significant.

Definatly! You can tell when you cross state lines on I-77!

Seriously, SCDOT does not know the difference of what "urban" and "rural" means and ought to revise their guidelines on posting speed limits. The speed limit is 60mph on I-77 between NC and Rock Hill and it makes NO SENSE. Since I-77 is classified as a "urban area" through most of YORK County, the speed limit automaticly is 60mph. How is I-26 any different in the Summerville area with 65mph over there? I go 65-70mph (in protest) at least through that area (YORK co.) because i dont believe going 60mph through there.

Another one is the SC 31 freeway where that is 60mph with very limited interchanges! Maybe the sandbag curbs are the reason? :rofl:

How about the SC 22 freeway? Goes through the middle of nowhere and thats 60mph!

I-95 through Florence and Darlington Counties. Rebuilt with concrete w/ 6 lanes and is 65/70mph through there.

I-85, no doubt. There is too much development going on along the interstate and where the interstate goes to wait much longer. More people will soon be using it to commute. The first of several buildings is already open at ICAR and employees have moved in. Hubbell Lighting is building and Clemson is about to start its graduate school of automotive (?) engineering. It won't cost nearly as much as any of the other possible ones listed i'm positive...

the I-85/Laurens Rd interchange needs updating badly- it's a clover and THE exit for ICAR and for students going to Christ Church, St Josephs and JL Mann High schools. That's dangerous for teenage drivers especially.

So- Interstate 85 to 8 lanes through Greenville atleast, maybe Spartanburg? not sure of the situation there. But the combined exits can stay at 2 lanes for now and therefore make the widest portions 12 lanes and the smallest points 8 lanes.

The speed limit is 60mph on I-77 between NC and Rock Hill and it makes NO SENSE. Since I-77 is classified as a "urban area" through most of Lancaster County, the speed limit automaticly is 60mph. How is I-26 any different in the Summerville area with 65mph over there? I go 65-70mph (in protest) at least through that area (lancaster co.) because i dont believe going 60mph through there. .

I might be missing something, but I-77 does not go through Lancaster county. Lancaster is one of the few counties in SC with no interstates. You are probably thinking of York.

I might be missing something, but I-77 does not go through Lancaster county. Lancaster is one of the few counties in SC with no interstates. You are probably thinking of York.

Yeah, I think he's thinking of York as well.

I really don't know why the speed limit is 65 through Summerville but only 60 through Rock Hill/Fort Mill. I usually do 75-80 anyway. But I don't play that on I-26 in Dorchester; the highway patrol LOVES to hide in in the midst of the trees in the median, in several places at that.

Exactly.

You forgot 585 and 85 in your poll....

Having driven the length of most of these interstates (the SC portions) I can say without a doubt that 26 is in need of widening the most. Traffic is consistenly congested from Charleston all the way to Spartanburg.

But I don't play that on I-26 in Dorchester; the highway patrol LOVES to hide in in the midst of the trees in the median, in several places at that.

Indeed. On the afore mentioned I-77 between NC and Rock Hill they have an even more sneaky method. A trooper will station themselves on an over pass and zap cars with the radar gun as they approach the bridge. Radar detectors don't pick this up because you are already clocked before it happens. A second trooper will radio your details down to the highway where awaiting troopers will pull you over so that you can begin paying your debt to society for speeding. :P

Indeed. On the afore mentioned I-77 between NC and Rock Hill they have an even more sneaky method. A trooper will station themselves on an over pass and zap cars with the radar gun as they approach the bridge. Radar detectors don't pick this up because you are already clocked before it happens. A second trooper will radio your details down to the highway where awaiting troopers will pull you over so that you can begin paying your debt to society for speeding. :P

Yeah, you're right. I haven't seen them up there lately though. I think they mostly do this during morning/evening rush hours. Good thing I work odd hours. ;)

Yeah, there's not much of a police presence on I-77 between Rock Hill and Columbia; it's a pretty boring stretch of interstate, but this is true of practically all portions of interstates that run through rural areas. However, I always slow down right before entering Richland from Fairfield just in case a cop is hiding behind those trees in the median. :)

Yeah, there's not much of a police presence on I-77 between Rock Hill and Columbia; it's a pretty boring stretch of interstate, but this is true of practically all portions of interstates that run through rural areas. However, I always slow down right before entering Richland from Fairfield just in case a cop is hiding behind those trees in the median. :)

Me too! Right on the left right before you hit those palmetto trees in the median entering Richland county. lol. thats a good hiding spot. lol

Archived