Another Covention Headed To Hyatt Hotel

bobliocatt

The Hyatt Hotel has attracted another big time convention. This time its the Florida League of Cities Inc., which is expected to draw up to 1,200 participants to the Hyatt Regency, next August and bring in an estimated economic impact of $1.4 million.

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stor..._20175433.shtml

At this point, is the Prime Osborn, in its current state even needed? :unsure:

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is sad that a local hotel has become a big competitor for the convention center. However, it seems to me that it shows how much of a destination the city itself is. If people are willing to have conventions here despite our lack of facilities, they must really like us.

Dave: That is a good point. This indicates that there is demand for an adult (i.e. not Orlando) destination for conventions in Jacksonville, given availability of the proper space. I admit that the facility itself would be a money-loser, but the economic activity it would help generate by bringing in outsiders to Jacksonville's downtown would more than make up for it. Build it and they will come.

• 4 weeks later...

Another big convention comes to the Hyatt. For some reason I can't use the Insert Link tool, but here is the link:

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stor..._20386042.shtml

I have long advocated abandoning the Prime Osborn and putting a new convention center on the river, preferably at the Times-Union offices on Riverside or close by. The quote below supports my rational:

"Szczepankowski toured Jacksonville in August and came away impressed, particularly by the hotel's proximity to The Jacksonville Landing. She said the Landing would give meeting participants a place to go for restaurants and entertainment that's within walking distance of the Hyatt."

Dave: That is a good point. This indicates that there is demand for an adult (i.e. not Orlando) destination for conventions in Jacksonville, given availability of the proper space. I admit that the facility itself would be a money-loser, but the economic activity it would help generate by bringing in outsiders to Jacksonville's downtown would more than make up for it. Build it and they will come.

Not sure what you think goes on at Orlando conventions but it's not limited to family friendly conventions. The Orlando convention and meetings market is an established national player for the industry. The only time it has to compete with that type of choice is if the delegates want to go to Vegas. Many of those shows have begun an alternating schedule between Orlando and Vegas. I recently went to an IT international user conference at the Gaylord and I can promise that Mickey or Woody Woodpecker never made an appearance. The sponsor party was at Universal and it was adult only.

I respect Jacksonville and all but please don't imply that it draws conventioneers away from Orlando who are turned off by the kiddie atmosphere. It's about the facilities, the available rooms (category of room is important), and entertainment options for the delegates.

Archived