New World of Coke

atlmangum

Anybody have any updated renderings. Please tell me they have made some improvements from the original slop they came out with.

Here is a link to the webcam showing construction progress. (It also gives you a pretty good look at the aquarium!!!)

http://www.oxblue.com/client/woc/

Also, what type of exhibits will they have. I know some will be similar to what they already have.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Andrea - sorry, from what I recall the World of Coke will be even more of a fortress than the fish tank. Which shouldn't be surprising based on the current World of Coke's treatment of MLK street.

Speaking of the existing WOC site, what will become of it? I remember somewhere there was mention of making the site a location for the State museum. Providing a larger facility for the items currently housed in the State Capital, but I haven't heard anything recently. It'd be a shame for that key corner to go un-used.

Anyone got any dirt?

I might be thinking of the wrong property - but from what I remember from reading Franklin Garrett's volumes of Atlanta history, the property there was Atlanta's very first park. It was a simple town square that was a meeting place dating back to the mid 1800's, but it was never formerly a park. So it was developed & then again everything was torn down to make way for the Underground extraveganza.

So I would like it to become a very formal civic park - with a huge formal water fountain in the middle.

Either that or we sell it to Pepsi & let them build a museaum.

I might be thinking of the wrong property - but from what I remember from reading Franklin Garrett's volumes of Atlanta history, the property there was Atlanta's very first park. It was a simple town square that was a meeting place dating back to the mid 1800's, but it was never formerly a park. So it was developed & then again everything was torn down to make way for the Underground extraveganza.

So I would like it to become a very formal civic park - with a huge formal water fountain in the middle.

Either that or we sell it to Pepsi & let them build a museaum.

I agree. Atlanta needs more public fountains besides "The Rings" at CP.

I love the webcam. I was looking at it a few minutes ago and I see that there are alot of cars parked on the street there. Either they are residents/visitors parking of the area condos or there is an awful lot of people going to that area at 8pm at night. Are there any clubs in the area....not that you would go to a club at 8pm.

• 2 months later...

I like the Idea for the old site becoming like a State exhibit. Georgia certainly has enough history to fill 2 sites of that size. The Atlanta History Ctr is nice, but an exhibit that showcases the enitre state, it's rich history and culture would make a nice addition to Downtown and all the new attractions.

I think they should push for it.

Archived