Murfreesboro - More Info On Mall Expansion

Relient J

More information on the upcomming expansion of the Stones River Mall in Murfreesboro has been covered by the Tennessean. You can find the article (including rendering) here:

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...7/1152/COUNTY07

There will be 25 new retail and food vendors, and the mall will include an outdoor promenade.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gee whiz, where was all that job growth and opportunity when I was trying to get hired this summer? ;)

Most of it is associated with Nissan, its suppliers, and the contract companies that work for Nissan. I really doubt there is a lot of Commercial growth execpt in the retail sector. At least not yet.

Here is a link to a thread with an article link in it that discusses Rutherford's great growth rate and position as the number one job creating county in the country:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=16822

Interesting info.

@ Norm - Ever looked at Jackson/Madison County or Clarksville/Montgomery County, they both have some really impressive growth rates and are expanding in urban development quite rapidly.

Here is a link to a thread with an article link in it that discusses Rutherford's great growth rate and position as the number one job creating county in the country:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=16822

Interesting info.

@ Norm - Ever looked at Jackson/Madison County or Clarksville/Montgomery County, they both have some really impressive growth rates and are expanding in urban development quite rapidly.

Thanks for the tip!

I actually interviewed with Montgomery County for a transportation planner position this summer but didn't get the job because another candidate was more specialized than myself.

But yeah, Jackson is a fine city and it, along with all other cities along the I-40 corridor, will have a need for more urban planners ... I reckon I'll just have to keep my eye out for when the need arises.

Edited by Norm

• 9 months later...

I wish I had a camera phone!

There is a picture of the final version inside the mall (well, not so much a picture as much a floor plan). It's in the window of a closed shop right across from Victoria's Secret. If anyone wants to go get a shot and post here, that's where you'll find it.

I'll try and get it next time I'm there, which isn't too often.

I wish I had a camera phone!

There is a picture of the final version inside the mall (well, not so much a picture as much a floor plan). It's in the window of a closed shop right across from Victoria's Secret. If anyone wants to go get a shot and post here, that's where you'll find it.

I'll try and get it next time I'm there, which isn't too often.

Stones River Mall

Murfreesboro, Tennessee.

This 240,000 square foot expansion of the prominent, established and successful mall, located in the fastest growing county in Tennessee, will provide additional opportunities for new retailers as well as restaurants. This project includes adding an approximately 105,000 square foot lifestyle expansion, a new 147,000 square foot two-level Dillard

• 1 month later...

More information on the upcomming expansion of the Stones River Mall in Murfreesboro has been covered by the Tennessean. You can find the article (including rendering) here:

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...7/1152/COUNTY07

There will be 25 new retail and food vendors, and the mall will include an outdoor promenade.

Do you have an update on the mall?

• 3 weeks later...

Was over there this week. The JC Penney is up and running. The outside of the store looks great, with much more landscaping than the older, existing parking lot areas. The mall opening near JC Penney is also open, giving an idea of what the renovated interior of the mall is going to look like. The shell of Dillard's is up as well.

I think it is funny how The Avenue has been very vocal about coming tenants, while Stones River has kept it hush-hush. I'm sure they're in stiff competition for the smaller mall/lifestyle type tenants.

I just drove by the mall a little while ago. The new Dillards looks like it's going to be huge! The new JC Penney looks great from the outside. Are there plans to remodel the exterior of the rest of the mall? The Sears next door looks dated by comparison.

Yes, they're working from back to front. Eventually the whole mall will be renovated inside and out and become an open air style mall similar to the Avenues.

Yes, they're working from back to front. Eventually the whole mall will be renovated inside and out and become an open air style mall similar to the Avenues.

I believe only the expansion will be open air. I don't think they're planning to re-do the existing space other than a cosmetic sprucing up. Could be wrong, though...

I think that's correct. My understanding is the section where the old Dillard's is will be replaced with the outdoor lifestyle section. The old JC Penney is to be replaced with a bookstore (which would just about have to be Borders) and a food court. The area of the mall leading to the new Penney's gives a good indication of how the renovated mall interior is going to look. It has carpet, but one of the renderings i saw showed dark wood floors and carpet. I am very curious about the Sears as well. I'm wondering if they may be going to build a bigger store off mall like they have done elsewhere. I'm still thinking that would be a good spot for Macy's to replace its HH store if they should decide to jump that ship.

I think that's correct. My understanding is the section where the old Dillard's is will be replaced with the outdoor lifestyle section. The old JC Penney is to be replaced with a bookstore (which would just about have to be Borders) and a food court. The area of the mall leading to the new Penney's gives a good indication of how the renovated mall interior is going to look. It has carpet, but one of the renderings i saw showed dark wood floors and carpet. I am very curious about the Sears as well. I'm wondering if they may be going to build a bigger store off mall like they have done elsewhere. I'm still thinking that would be a good spot for Macy's to replace its HH store if they should decide to jump that ship.

Form the Daily News Journal on October 6th, 2006.....

General Growth Properties Inc. owns the mall and announced plans to redevelop and expand it last summer. Approximately 212,600 square feet of the shopping center will be demolished and replaced by 330,000 square feet of new construction. One of the mall's four anchor stores, the new JCPenney, is now twice the size of twice the size of the old site fronting Old Fort Parkway.

Under the redevelopment plan, Dillard's will also receive a larger homes on the mall's north side. Approximately 20-25 retail stores will be added to the mall in a new exterior shopping or lifestyle area to be constructed on the west side of the mall where Dillard's now stands. Space near the center of the mall will be converted into a 300-seat food court with five to six eateries. An open-air promenade on the west side will provide a new inviting entrance into the mall. Two new stand-alone restaurants are planned for the south side of the mall in existing parking lot space. Parking spaces around the mall will be redesigned to ensure adequate space for shoppers.

Form the Daily News Journal on October 6th, 2006.....

General Growth Properties Inc. owns the mall and announced plans to redevelop and expand it last summer. Approximately 212,600 square feet of the shopping center will be demolished and replaced by 330,000 square feet of new construction. One of the mall's four anchor stores, the new JCPenney, is now twice the size of twice the size of the old site fronting Old Fort Parkway.

Under the redevelopment plan, Dillard's will also receive a larger homes on the mall's north side. Approximately 20-25 retail stores will be added to the mall in a new exterior shopping or lifestyle area to be constructed on the west side of the mall where Dillard's now stands. Space near the center of the mall will be converted into a 300-seat food court with five to six eateries. An open-air promenade on the west side will provide a new inviting entrance into the mall. Two new stand-alone restaurants are planned for the south side of the mall in existing parking lot space. Parking spaces around the mall will be redesigned to ensure adequate space for shoppers.

This sounds great. I knew the mall would be undergoing a complete renovation. I bet one of the eateries will be a Ruby Tuesdsay, we only have one right now. I also hope the mall will have new markers/signage so it creates a sense of place. This is Stones River Mall and I'm glad they've decided to upgrade this classy place.

• 3 months later...

We started a great discussion about the Stones River Mall in The Avenue thread. I certainly don't want to disrupt the flow of that conversation, but just thought I would bump up this thread to have a specific place to discuss the mall.

One thing of great interest to me from that conversation was mentioned by reednavy05 in this post:

The Stones River Mall website has a new video of what's to come. It pops up in an extra window, so don't close the window. The interior is going to die for when completed.

The video he mentioned was fascinating to watch, as it really gives a great look into the planned future of the mall. To me, it looks to be a very bright future indeed. As I mentioned in The Avenue thread, I just hope the two ventures can coexist along with the many other shopping centers that have sprung up or will soon spring up in Murfreesboro and the surrounding area.

My only criticism of the Stones River Mall video is in their presentation of it. A lot of us these days use browsers with built-in pop-up blockers. I would never have known that video was there had reednavy05 not brought it to our attention. (Thanks for mentioning it!)

Here's a link to the mall's Web site:

http://www.stonesrivermall.com/html/

Edited by Relient J

Was it just me, or was there a Banana Republic sign on one of the stores in the lifestyle center in that video? I would be SO excited if we got a Banana Republic in Murfreesboro! I can't imagine that they would put that on the video if they didn't already know they were getting it.

Was it just me, or was there a Banana Republic sign on one of the stores in the lifestyle center in that video? I would be SO excited if we got a Banana Republic in Murfreesboro! I can't imagine that they would put that on the video if they didn't already know they were getting it.

Yes there is, I was just waiting for someone else to spot that. The Avenues will probably contain your Coll Springs like stores, but with SRM, it might get more exclusive clientel, hopefully thats the case.

Yes there is, I was just waiting for someone else to spot that. The Avenues will probably contain your Coll Springs like stores, but with SRM, it might get more exclusive clientel, hopefully thats the case.

FINALLY....... This is good news....and in the end....reduced pollution. The less people in Rutherford County have to drive to Cool Springs or Nashville....the less we aid to local air quailty issues. Now.....The Rutherford Coutny/Murfreesboro deligation to the state need to push for some state offices locating in the boro.....this will cut down on the number of people driving to Nashville to work.

• 2 weeks later...

This could also have been posted in The Avenue thread as it pertains to both projects, but there was an article published on the Web site of Sidelines, MTSU's student newspaper, about the two malls. The article can be found here:

http://media.www.mtsusidelines.com/media/s...gepublisher.com

I think it requires you to have a free account with them to gain access to the whole article.