Concord Mills

Temeteron

I agree. A Office Depot, Staples, or Office Max would be great. The closest office supply stores are at University Place, Target Shopping Center at Highway 49/Harris Blvd and north at Carolina Mall/CMC Northeast Medical Center.

There is already a Best Buy two exits north at Afton Ridge. An office supply store would be a nice addition, but not something I could see attached to the mall.

I agree. A Office Depot, Staples, or Office Max would be great. The closest office supply stores are at University Place, Target Shopping Center at Highway 49/Harris Blvd and north at Carolina Mall/CMC Northeast Medical Center.

Yeah, I don't think an office supply store is a good fit for a destination retail mall like CM. If the typical customer is small business owner, which I think it is, nobody is going to want to fight the traffic etc to get in there, then deal with a huge parking lot, trying to find a place to park, especially this time of year. You can zip in and out of the typical OM or OD in just a couple of minutes.

Yeah, I don't think an office supply store is a good fit for a destination retail mall like CM. If the typical customer is small business owner, which I think it is, nobody is going to want to fight the traffic etc to get in there, then deal with a huge parking lot, trying to find a place to park, especially this time of year. You can zip in and out of the typical OM or OD in just a couple of minutes.

And plus this space would make one huge office supply store. While I know Walmart is a whole other category of retail, they too have three stores within the same block you drew out neo. The new one at university, one on 29 in concord right down the street, and the new one across from cmills.

On the other hand, if my friends are right and this does turn out to be a Magnolia store, it would not compete on the same level as the other Best Buys. Magnolia stores pretty much only carry the highest end of audio and video equipment that best buy carries, meaning stuff either not found in or sparsely located in our local BB's.

And plus this space would make one huge office supply store. While I know Walmart is a whole other category of retail, they too have three stores within the same block you drew out neo. The new one at university, one on 29 in concord right down the street, and the new one across from cmills.

On the other hand, if my friends are right and this does turn out to be a Magnolia store, it would not compete on the same level as the other Best Buys. Magnolia stores pretty much only carry the highest end of audio and video equipment that best buy carries, meaning stuff either not found in or sparsely located in our local BB's.

My son works for BB. He said that would be an awful big space for a Magnolia store. The only Magnolia-only stores BB has are the ones they got with the purchase of that company. They have not opened any of their own, but that does not mean they won't.

He also thinks they would not close University due to its proximity to UNC.

I think Best Buy could make a go of it here, because of the large amount of regional traffic. It is its own submarket. There are a lot of Concord Mills shoppers that aren't stopping in the University or Afton Ridge areas, either because they're not familiar wit the area or are focused on the mall as their shopping destination.

It is so funny that you guys were talking about Best Buy making a good fit for this spot. Guess what got posted on Concord's permitting system today? An upfit for a Best Buy to occupy the old Circuit City location at Concord Mills. :)

This is no joke, looks like we'll be seeing a Best Buy opening there probably next summer (maybe sooner?)

It is so funny that you guys were talking about Best Buy making a good fit for this spot. Guess what got posted on Concord's permitting system today? An upfit for a Best Buy to occupy the old Circuit City location at Concord Mills. smile.gif

This is no joke, looks like we'll be seeing a Best Buy opening there probably next summer (maybe sooner?)

Sounds like good news to me. It's a win-win. Space gets occupied and a Best Buy at the mall can't be a bad thing.

I wish we could get some competition to Best Buy (aside from HH Gregg) like a Fry's-closest stores in GA, or Crutchfield-they have retail stores in VA

Oh please, don't mention Frys. When I go into the ATL store I don't want to leave. They have real electronic stuff there, like test equipment and components etc, besides all the computer stuff that others don't carry, like mother boards, cases, etc. I think the Concord Mills area is perfect for a Frys. It has to be destination retail, just the sheer size of it. I would not be surprised at all if, when the recovery starts getting some real traction, they put one in Charlotte, and I can almost guarantee it would be in that area.

Looks like the BB is going to be almost 36,000 sf. Nice size. I don't know which one is largest, but the Pineville store is about 45 k. It used to be a Service Merchandise.

• 4 weeks later...

If BB does go into the spot I wouldn't want them to get rid of the University spot though, since it's closer.

While its been reported that the nearby stores are not affected, check out this link to the University Store's web site. Seems to paint a different picture. Opening date doesn't look too realistic though.

BB University

While its been reported that the nearby stores are not affected, check out this link to the University Store's web site. Seems to paint a different picture. Opening date doesn't look too realistic though.

BB University

Hmm that's too bad but not a huge deal if it does happen to move I'll just shop over in that area more often then. Just gotta wonder what they could put over in the vacant spots :shades:

Edited by Batou

According to a few associates that work at the University BB, they are indeed going to be in the new location in time for the Grand Opening on the 30th. Considering they are moving into the spot of the old Circuit City, it would seem that most of the upfit work is already done. While I see the 30th as a bit ambitious, it doesn't appear that it will take much work. I am a bit disappointed that I didn't get the chance to play putt-putt in the blacklight course that was set up in that location during December.

EDIT: side note, considering the old Walmart spot is still vacant and the BB will be moving out. This gives a great opportunity for University City to get rid of the blight of these big boxes and for UC Partners to push for their master plan.

Edited by aussie luke

• 3 weeks later...

Went by the new Best Buy location last night and it is definitely not open and I wouldn't expect it to be open until February sometime. There is also an permit under review to add a truck dock, not sure if that's something that's needed before they can open or not.

I'm assuming that the mini Apple store that is inside the University location will be moving to this new location. That's a great asset to have in north Charlotte since the only Apple store is at Southpark.

Went by the new Best Buy location last night and it is definitely not open and I wouldn't expect it to be open until February sometime. There is also an permit under review to add a truck dock, not sure if that's something that's needed before they can open or not.

I'm assuming that the mini Apple store that is inside the University location will be moving to this new location. That's a great asset to have in north Charlotte since the only Apple store is at Southpark.

Does that apple store inside UNCC's student union count? Though that's mostly for students/faculty not really general public.. also according to the website it's Jan 30th when it will be opening.

Edited by Batou

Does that apple store inside UNCC's student union count? Though that's mostly for students/faculty not really general public.. also according to the website it's Jan 30th when it will be opening.

It's straying a little from the topic of Concord Mills, but I'd argue the store on campus doesn't count since they don't take general public sales. Sure, there are 25,000 or so people that can shop there, but if nearby residents - let alone people from other parts of the city - can't shop there, I don't feel like it would really count.

As far as Best Buy goes, I was at the University location a couple of days before they closed to take advantage of some of the deals they had. Upon checking out, they gave me a flier for the new store opening. It also had a coupon for a $5 gift card with a $50 purchase which is valid only from January 30 through February 7. Based upon that, I'd imagine they'll try their best to be open by tomorrow, though I haven't actually seen how the new store's progressing. Of course, if we actually get a decent snowfall or ice event tonight/tomorrow, those plans could go out the window anyway.

Based upon that, I'd imagine they'll try their best to be open by tomorrow, though I haven't actually seen how the new store's progressing.

Just to add more anecdotal evidence that the store will open this weekend; I've heard at least 2 radio commercials advertising the opening for 30 January. The apparently plan to open, but of course as was stated above, the weather may prevent that.