Concord Mills

Temeteron

Do you think maybe that anchor pad at Northlake could be IKEA? Is that an open possiblity
Less likely. IKEA needs somewhere near 250,000 square feet of footprint for their stores, while that space may be good for 100,000 of footprint at best. They also like a more prominent location than an anchor pad at Northlake could provide.

• 4 weeks later...

What was in the mall in the space now near the movie theater, across from FYE- it's boarded up with wallboard, although an airbrushed art store is now there. HORRIBLE; unless the mall is striving to become the next Eastland, it needs to get rid of those kinds of stores.

What was in the mall in the space now near the movie theater, across from FYE- it's boarded up with wallboard, although an airbrushed art store is now there. HORRIBLE; unless the mall is striving to become the next Eastland, it needs to get rid of those kinds of stores.

I haven't been in there in awhile, I was aware of the change.

Here is a map of the mall apparently before the change. It doesn't have any mention of an airbrush store. And, don't worry, there have been several of those in Carolina Mall, they only stay open for about a year.

Having worked at the FYE since about september or so, i have some knowledge about that airbrush store that is currently there. Before it was an airbrush store, it was just a wall, then some construction started to happen and they put those two store fronts that are there now. One is empty, and the other is the forementioned airbrush store. It has been there since about christmas or so. I have talked to the guy who operates the store, and he seems pretty cool. The cinnabon is still there.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

There is a sign up for this store now. Says it will be open in Fall 2006.

That Lane Bryant store is open now, I walked past it the other day.

There is also another Starbucks going up in the mall right next to Rack Room Shoes and in front of Bed, Bath, and Beyond. This gives the Concord Mills area three Starbucks, with two in the mall and a new one off of Speedway Blvd across the street from the KFC/Taco Bell.

Also, does anybody know if and when Wal-Mart and Lowes are going to build new locations on that big grassy field across from the strip mall with McCalisters?

Edited by Skyline49er

That Lane Bryant store is open now, I walked past it the other day.

There is also another Starbucks going up in the mall right next to Rack Room Shoes and in front of Bed, Bath, and Beyond. This gives the Concord Mills area three Starbucks, with two in the mall and a new one off of Speedway Blvd across the street from the KFC/Taco Bell.

Also, does anybody know if and when Wal-Mart and Lowes are going to build new locations on that big grassy field across from the strip mall with McCalisters?

I try to look at every permit that comes around in Cabarrus County and I haven't seen one for that location yet. The only notable developments I've seen for the Speedway Blvd. area is a Texas Land & Cattle restaurant, Cook-Out, and a remodeling of the TGI Fridays location.

You can keep up with any submitted permits here:

http://166.82.66.116/fmi/iwp/cgi?-db=Plan_...amp;-loadframes

While Walmart has a habit of putting stores in stupid locations, I can't see this working out for anyone unless they lay down some additional infrastructure. And by that, I mean a lot. Adding a Walmart and Lowes to a road that already sees more traffic than most roads in Charlotte cannot be a good idea. Also, there are two Walmarts within four miles of this location, one on 29 just passed the speedway and one in University off JW Clay. I would've figured that Best Buy would have put a store there, but with their new store at exit 54, I don't see that happening. And with a Supertarget going up at that same exit, that rules them out as well.

I'm hoping that the city makes better use of that property out there by adding a few grid-like roads and smaller level retail/office space. That area is known for entertainment and retail so it would be prime for real estate, but only if the traffic woes were taken care of first. Also, as much as the area wouldn't be able to take the load, but an IKEA seems like it would fit that space perfectly. I bet Concord/Cabarrus is sitting on that property hoping and waiting for the right deal to come along, I hope they are smart enough not to let a Walmart land there and ruin the strip.

(Can anybody tell I just moved to Concord?) :blush:

It's going to be a pretty cold day in July before Ikea locates a store in that field.

Let's just hope they never do. Ever since A2 announced that he heard about a store coming to the Charlotte area I knew that it couldn't possibly go up there in sububia-hell. After the many Ikeas I have been to, that area just wouldn't be logical or appealing for a store of its size and the traffic that it draws. But, then again I have been proven wrong before. :)

I saw that. Are they really going to have two Starbucks in the same mall? I thought they must be relocating from the original space to the new one.

I try to look at every permit that comes around in Cabarrus County and I haven't seen one for that location yet. The only notable developments I've seen for the Speedway Blvd. area is a Texas Land & Cattle restaurant, Cook-Out, and a remodeling of the TGI Fridays location.

You can keep up with any submitted permits here:

http://166.82.66.116/fmi/iwp/cgi?-db=Plan_...amp;-loadframes

Thanks Neo for the website. :thumbsup:

The reason I asked the question about the Wal-Mart/Lowe's was because I recently picked up a Charlotte Biz Journal paper and they were advertising outparcel locations for sale next to a proposed Wal-Mart and Lowe's in that field. I was just wondering if it was coming to frutation or not in the near future.

I saw that. Are they really going to have two Starbucks in the same mall? I thought they must be relocating from the original space to the new one.

I am pretty sure that they will keep both of them in the mall. I know that the current Starbucks by AMC is busy all the time and does awesome business so I don't think that they would shut that one down. But, that is just my opinion as anything could happen.

Another Texas Land and Cattle in the Univ/Speedway area?? They just opened one on Harris Blvd. and it is the first in NC. It's actually the first one outside of Texas except for one in Albequerque. I've been to one in San Antonio...TL&C is a great steakhouse...not your typical Longhorn or Texas Roadhouse type place. The atmosphere may be similar, but the steaks are heavenly. A filet at TL&C is closer to those of Ruth's Chris than your typical texas steak joint.

The only weird thing about the company is that I just noticed on their website that their corporate office isn't in Texas -- it's in Kansas, where they don't even have any restaurants. Useless fact, I know...

Another Texas Land and Cattle in the Univ/Speedway area?? They just opened one on Harris Blvd. and it is the first in NC. It's actually the first one outside of Texas except for one in Albequerque. I've been to one in San Antonio...TL&C is a great steakhouse...not your typical Longhorn or Texas Roadhouse type place. The atmosphere may be similar, but the steaks are heavenly. A filet at TL&C is closer to those of Ruth's Chris than your typical texas steak joint.

The only weird thing about the company is that I just noticed on their website that their corporate office isn't in Texas -- it's in Kansas, where they don't even have any restaurants. Useless fact, I know...

No it isn't, they are almost finished on one in Winston-Salem. :) It should open up in about a month or less.

We went to the one on Harris last week. The restaurant was pretty nice for a chain, but uhh, the food was okay. I'm surprised though that they are putting one so close to another one that just opened, since they could probably cover a whole other market in South Charlotte but TGI Friday's and Red Robin did the same thing too. Can't wait for the Cookout though, I just can't get enough of that place.

I see that they are extending Concord Mills Blvd past Derita Rd. So I'm guessing the area will be getting more commercial retail along that portion as well. Talk about great planning. :rolleyes: