Concord Mills

Temeteron

I will unfortunately be there on black friday in the afternoon/evening, but I will be at work for another black friday at Concord Mills

Which is exactly the reason why I love working in University City, Concord Mills pulls away half the senile earlybirds that I used to have to deal with.

• 3 weeks later...

Site plan permit came through today for a Lowe's (Home Improvement) to go in phase one of Christenbury Corners at Concord Mills Blvd. and Derita Rd. Note that this is also the same intersection where a Super Wal-Mart will be built amongst a slew of other businesses. Thought traffic was bad in this area now? Imagine what it will be once all of these big-box stores join this immediate area.

Christenbury Corners will be built in four phases as displayed in the following image:

post-1-1196710563_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

THe Disney Store Outlet is now open......in other news Ann Taylor has announced it will be closing up to 150 Ann Taylor and Ann Taylor Loft stores.....ironically they are opening an Ann Taylor Factory store (not to mention there is already a loft store at CM)......I wonder if any of the other locations (SP, NL, CP, or Birkdale) will close

• 5 months later...

I'm not sure that this is "news" anymore as it was originally announced in December, but I don't see it mentioned on here: Concord Mills Mall will be getting two IMAX theaters at AMC. I'm not sure if they will be replacing existing theaters or if they will be expanding the building to build new ones. According to an employee at the mall (who I forgot to ask about the location of the theaters,) the first movie playing on the new screens will be the Harry Potter movie in November. It's too bad they weren't opened in time for Dark Knight.

Edited by aussie luke

I'm not sure that this is "news" anymore as it was originally announced in December, but I don't see it mentioned on here: Concord Mills Mall will be getting two IMAX theaters at AMC. I'm not sure if they will be replacing existing theaters or if they will be expanding the building to build new ones. According to an employee at the mall (who I forgot to ask about the location of the theaters,) the first movie playing on the new screens will be the Harry Potter movie in November. It's too bad they weren't opened in time for Dark Knight.

Oh that is neat, finally more IMAX instead of just the one at Discovery Place. :shades:

• 3 weeks later...

I was in this mall today and noticed there are 7 closed stores. Several of these closed in just the last few weeks. In addition the mall is starting to look pretty dated from lack of investment. Long gone are the "neighborhoods" that Mills setup along with the flashy plasma displays showing the Mills Network. The only thing that remains of that now are the faded signs that were placed there when the mall opened. I notice the really dated and ratty mauve and teal carpet (Hornets colors) needs to be replaced with something more modern and there there are a number of long sections that are dark and dank looking.

I got the strange sense of deja vu of walking in the Tryon Mall in 1978, The Freedom mall in 1980, The North Park mall in 1990 and Eastland mall in 1995. Not because of the demographics, but because of the lack of interest. Concord Mills needs to be moved from the late 1990s and into the 21st century.

I get the feeling that Concord Mills is at a crossroads and will either re-invent itself like SouthPark did, or will quickly head down the road of irrelevancy. Think of the outlet mall down at Carowinds.

I was in this mall today and noticed there are 7 closed stores. Several of these closed in just the last few weeks. In addition the mall is starting to look pretty dated from lack of investment. Long gone are the "neighborhoods" that Mills setup along with the flashy plasma displays showing the Mills Network. The only thing that remains of that now are the faded signs that were placed there when the mall opened. I notice the really dated and ratty mauve and teal carpet (Hornets colors) needs to be replaced with something more modern and there there are a number of long sections that are dark and dank looking.

I got the strange sense of deja vu of walking in the Tryon Mall in 1978, The Freedom mall in 1980, The North Park mall in 1990 and Eastland mall in 1995. Not because of the demographics, but because of the lack of interest. Concord Mills needs to be moved from the late 1990s and into the 21st century.

I get the feeling that Concord Mills is at a crossroads and will either re-invent itself like SouthPark did, or will quickly head down the road of irrelevancy. Think of the outlet mall down at Carowinds.

I was at Concord Mills last week, and usually make it there once per month. I have to say that I disagree to an extent. While it doesn't seem as much like the mall-designed-as-a-tourist-attraction type of place anymore, I can't say I noticed anything in bad shape. Maybe no more big-screen TVs (those went away a couple years ago I think, once the colors started to get distorted from being on so much), no more "neighborhoods," but the mall itself I see as booming. Seven stores in that amount of space is hardly noticeable. Every time I go there, it seems more a challenge to find a parking space than the time before.

I have to agree with Scott. The materials may be getting a little dated, but I hadn't noticed the lack of the tv monitors until the last time I went (which, I mean, what was the point anyway?) The mall could use a fresh coat of paint, but I never look "for" those things when I go to the mall, maybe other people do, but I've never heard comments about how old the mall is becoming from anybody outside of this forum. Maybe it's just that the people on this forum are the types to look for these things though, which does make sense and in no way is a bad thing. I hate going to this mall not because of how dated it is becoming, but because of how crowded it is all the time. I mean, on a weekday during the school year, it slows down to the same pace as every other mall, but on weekends and during the summer you have to park way out from an entrance unless you want to search for a spot forever. I can't remember the last time I went to the mall when there wasn't a tour or church bus full of shoppers piling in.

I only went there twice last month. The closed stores don't really have me worried, Concord Mills seems to go through stores pretty quickly. There are spots within the mall that have never been filled in. It also seems that most of the stores that have closed recently were irrelevant stores like Sunglass/Watch World, the knife store, and Silicon Motor Speedway (which couldn't keep up with NASCAR Speed Park, no pun intended.) Having anchors like Circuit City (assuming the company doesn't go under,) the Speed Park, Nike Outlet (which always seem to the thrive in outlet malls,) Bass Pro, Dave & Busters, Burlington Coat Factory, and AMC 24 with the future IMAX theaters should at least keep this mall functioning for a good while.

Every mall will die eventually, but I don't feel it will be CM's time until the crowds start going elsewhere.

EDIT: Cinnabon didn't close, crisis adverted

Edited by aussie luke

I'm actually gonna agree with Monsoon. I haven't been to the mall in years but have gone about 2 times in the past month. The entire mall just need a minor upgrade. I'm sure the stores are doing well, but the mall is definetly dated and the EIFS is starting to look horrible.

Did anyone really care about the neighborhoods? I always went for the stores, not watching the TV's in the sports neighborhood. This is essentially an outlet mall...I don't really think the average shopper there is going to be nit picking on the 10 year old paint job. It is a destination because of the large amount of discount shopping one can do in a very small area. Everytime I have been there, there is never a lack of customers. Sure there is store turnover...same as every mall in america.

Of course every mall goes through its stages.....and CM is going through its 10th year almost....It has changed a lot since its opening....its now owned by Simon (which is one of the best mall companies in the nation). Let's not be so negative. It's still an outlet mall so we can't expect too much as far as decor. Sure the paint and the decor seem dated.....but why do malls have such trendy decor when they first open, because they know eventually that it's going to go out of style! Why don't they just make them classy (and timeless) like SP....that way they won't seem so dated later on.

Edited by Temeteron

The mall is definately is a destination for discount shoppers. For instance my parents go out there several times a year (they live in Oxford near Henderson by the VA border) mainly b/c my step-dad is in love with the Bass Pro Shops. He could spend hours in that place....never been there myself but I'd like to get out there one of these days

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm not sure how exciting of news this is, but the Cabarrus County permitting website lists an upfit permit for Off Broadway Shoe Warehouse at Concord Mills. Judging by the square footage, it appears to be replacing Group USA.

A Spencer Gifts is also in the permitting process FWIW.

That's not worth much. Spencer Gifts is a crap hole. Still, thanks for the news though.

On a different note...

Is that the Wal-Mart they are building behind Lowes?

Yes, God help us all. I'm also amazed at the amount of apartments being built back there too. Think traffic is bad now? Just wait until those apartments are full of residents and the Walmart is open.

• 2 weeks later...

One thing I have to say as a visitor to Charlotte is the lack of transportation to the mall from uptown. You can't even take the bus up there because of the ridiculous schedule, you have to get there at 5am or something ridiculous on the Concord X route. And taxis? Forget it, they won't go into Cabarras County from Mecklenburg, I don't really understand it but something about crossing county lines etc someone explained once.

If it was easier to get to from uptown it might be better, if ever I want to go I have to rent a car or get a friend to drive me there.

I'm not sure how exciting of news this is, but the Cabarrus County permitting website lists an upfit permit for Off Broadway Shoe Warehouse at Concord Mills. Judging by the square footage, it appears to be replacing Group USA.

Is GroupUSA closing? I was at the mall last night and it was still open. It looked like Blacklion closed as well as the Liz Claibourne shoe store.