Concord Mills

Temeteron

Is GroupUSA closing? I was at the mall last night and it was still open. It looked like Blacklion closed as well as the Liz Claibourne shoe store.

I honestly don't know if Group USA is closing. I've never been inside the store, but it's one of a few stores that have always seemed a little out of place to me (though that may just be because I'm not their target demographic). The square footage listed on the upfit permit is 22,197, which is the same as that listed for Group USA on this site. However, I don't know how current or accurate any of that information is. If Blacklion is closed, that seems like it would be a higher-visibility location for Off Broadway, especially with DSW Shoes directly across the street.

EDIT: Someone from Off Broadway confirmed to me that they will indeed be moving into the Blacklion space, with the store expected to open in March.

Edited by ellifyno

Blacklion moved their location to Huntersville, at least that's what I skimmed on a sign last time I passed by their store.

Just to agree and add to what you said...

Blacklion closed both their Concord Mills and Cornelius locations and I guess "consolidated" them into a new Huntersville location. I do not think the new location is any larger than the CM location, but is probably bigger than the Cornelius location.

One thing I have to say as a visitor to Charlotte is the lack of transportation to the mall from uptown. You can't even take the bus up there because of the ridiculous schedule, you have to get there at 5am or something ridiculous on the Concord X route. And taxis? Forget it, they won't go into Cabarras County from Mecklenburg, I don't really understand it but something about crossing county lines etc someone explained once.

If it was easier to get to from uptown it might be better, if ever I want to go I have to rent a car or get a friend to drive me there.

This is why they need to finish the Lynx Blue Line NE extension and bring it to the mall.

It does amaze me how county-centric our transportation system is. I haven't tried taking a taxi out of the county before so I never realized that even they wouldn't go that far. That seems a bit ridiculous for obvious reasons. Concord Mills might as well not exist if you don't have a car.

Yea, all of their stores are. That's going to be a huge space to fill in the mall. I wonder how they'll take care of that one.

Not only a huge space but a very prominent location on the most viewed corner of the mall. I can't imagine that space will be filled anytime soon. I believe the liquidation is scheduled to be over at the end of March so it will be interesting to see what happens after March.

Yea, all of their stores are. That's going to be a huge space to fill in the mall. I wonder how they'll take care of that one.

I can't believe they've made it this long. That's one of the silver linings of this downturn; it will shake out the poorly run companies that survived because there was so much money out there. Circuit City reminds me of Nichols, Golds, Brendals, et al. They had a terrible business plan and I really hated going into one of their stores. In the long run, something better surely will take this space in the mall and it should be a positive.

I'm surprised it took Circuit City this long to fail. The flies have been circling that chain for 15 years or more. Empty and re-used Circuit City stores are like re-used Pizza Huts... can't mistake'em.

Edited by MZT

• 1 month later...

So I spoke with a manager at the AMC last week who said the IMAX is supposed to open June or July, but they could have just been making it up. I know the had a long delay dealing with an exit location. It seems like this thing has been forgotten, anybody heard anything else on it?

• 1 month later...

I had to stop at Arizona Mills while in Phoenix to buy a tie when I had forgotten to bring one that matched a shirt on a trip the other week. I first went to Fashion Square in Scottsdale. I couldn't find a tie that worked for less than $130. Then I went to Nieman Marcus Last Call at Arizona Mills. I have to say - WOW! I purchased an Italian hand-made tie and a Dolce and Gabbana tie for $61 total. Retail price for both - $335 total. Funny thing is that I noticed Barney on How I Met Your Mother wearing the same exact Dolce and Gabbana tie a few nights later on the show. I was so impressed with the deals at this store - rock bottom prices for really nice stuff. I really wish that we would get one at CM. Arizona Mills has both Sak's Off 5th and NM Last Call. Any reason to think we couldn't support the same thing here?

I had to stop at Arizona Mills while in Phoenix to buy a tie when I had forgotten to bring one that matched a shirt on a trip the other week. I first went to Fashion Square in Scottsdale. I couldn't find a tie that worked for less than $130. Then I went to Nieman Marcus Last Call at Arizona Mills. I have to say - WOW! I purchased an Italian hand-made tie and a Dolce and Gabbana tie for $61 total. Retail price for both - $335 total. Funny thing is that I noticed Barney on How I Met Your Mother wearing the same exact Dolce and Gabbana tie a few nights later on the show. I was so impressed with the deals at this store - rock bottom prices for really nice stuff. I really wish that we would get one at CM. Arizona Mills has both Sak's Off 5th and NM Last Call. Any reason to think we couldn't support the same thing here?

The reason because if they open a NM last call here, people will stop buying the full retail priced items from the SP store and wait for them to go on sale to last call store lol......so until our population gets big enough and sophisticated enough to handle it it wont happen anytime soon....

• 1 month later...

There is an upfit permit for a Lego store for 4459 sq. ft.

Apparently the company is going through a retail store expansion as they're opening a store in Raleigh at the end of this month. As a huge fan of Lego as I was a kid, I'm excited to see a store being built locally!

There is an upfit permit for a Lego store for 4459 sq. ft.

Apparently the company is going through a retail store expansion as they're opening a store in Raleigh at the end of this month. As a huge fan of Lego as I was a kid, I'm excited to see a store being built locally!

That is awesome news! I wonder if it will go near the new Disney store, not sure if there are any spots there though.

Edited by aussie luke

I'm totally off topic again but I wonder how many hours I spent as a child playing with Lego's, and then my son got them and expanded the set by thousands. I might just go out there and buy some more.

I would bet that many of us were very 'in' to Lego as a kid, being that we're discussing all things urban as adults. :) I tinkered not stop building buildings and cities with these things as a kid.

The only Lego store I've been in (and multiple times) is the one in downtown Chicago in the indoor mall off of Michigan Avenue. They have some interesting displays made out of Lego around the store in the mall itself so I'm curious if they'll do the same in Concord Mills. I remember one such display was a bench that you can sit on that has a life size person made out of Lego...obviously for a photo op. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Old news, but the LEGO store opened up over the Fall and has been packed every time I have been in the mall with about ten dads sticking out above from the eight million children.

The old Circuit City store was converted to a Halloween costume for October and is now standing as an indoor blacklight putt putt course. This could actually be viable if they used Circuit City's old warehouse for laser tag or moved other games in the space like air hockey, ping pong, or bumper cars. I like the concept and I hope it sticks around, although I have heard rumors from a few friends that work in area Best Buys that BB is eying the spot for either relocation of the university store or for a location of a Magnolia store (best buy's high-end Audio/Video stores of which there are currently only 13 of in the nation.)

And there is now an Extenze store... :huh: