North Charleston annexing into Berkeley County

vicupstate

250 acres in Berkeley County pending annexation to North Chas.

Just the latest in the long string of battles between Trident cities over territory. Sounds like it is a done deal pretty much. Goose Creek should try to surround this North Chas. territory before it goes further.

I bet Charleston Native will have a few words to say on this one.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am lost to why North Charleston is seeking annexation so agressively, especially when this particular area is already considered Goose Creek becuase of historical stuff and etc. What will turn out really odd though is if North Charleston continues agressively annexing properties around there, Goose Creek High school will be in North Charleston instead of Goose creek.

I am lost to why North Charleston is seeking annexation so agressively, especially when this particular area is already considered Goose Creek becuase of historical stuff and etc. What will turn out really odd though is if North Charleston continues agressively annexing properties around there, Goose Creek High school will be in North Charleston instead of Goose creek.

It makes perfect sense. Look at this map:

CharlestonCities.jpg

North Charleston is completely land-locked except in the northern areas. The only way it can keep annexing it to go into other counties where most of the growth is occuring. North Charleston does not care about the historical precedent when it comes to money. It is possible that the area could still have a Goose Creek address and zipcode... only the services and taxes would go to North Charleston.

I understand why N. Chas is doing it, though personally I would like to see Goose Creek fill in the gap between itself and Hanahan. Like knightrider said there is the Goose Creek High School, Goose Creek Vol. Fire Dept etc in this unincorporated part of Goose Creek. It would be nice if North Charleston would focus more on infill and redevelopment/densification than expansion, but sprawl seems to be the name of the game atm.

...North Charleston does not care about the historical precedent when it comes to money. It is possible that the area could still have a Goose Creek address and zipcode... only the services and taxes would go to North Charleston.

Spartan is exactly right, here. Honestly, when has the north city given foresight into proper urban planning? The city's mayor could care less about historical precedent; he's only worried about taking in more land and property for his tax base. And people complain about Mayor Riley's annexations of James Island?!?! :blink: I'm hoping that this scenario awakens the metro area's populace into seeing what kind of mayor Summery is. I understand his reasons for this annexation, but shouldn't that be left to the cities which have closer contiguous limits such as Hanahan or Goose Creek? Hanahan is a city whose boundaries have not grown in a number of years, and it would be advantageous for the city to annex the property.

I agree with MikesLogic...the north city needs to concentrate on infill and densification, not to mention beefing up their police force and crime interventions. If the north city's bureaucracy can't do it, maybe it would make sense to merge the north city into a more established municipality who can get the job done better. (Charleston)

Are the boundaries based on 2000 data or more recent? It would be great to see all the major cities in SC. You should think about starting such a thread. The maps on the US Census website is based on 1990 data, what's up with that?

That is 2000 data. The Census maps also use 2000 data as far as I know.

You're right about that, but I'm not forgetting. Unfortunately, Noisette is the exception for the city, not the norm.

Good point!

Here's a hint you greedy moron: your city has a terrible reputation, and you seem to be wanting to push your neighbors out of the way to put your city in the primary place of prominence. This also means that your city is attempting to reduce the city of Charleston's importance in the area, as well as diminish any economic expansion for any other city in the metro.

Not to over-psychoanalyze Mayor Summey, but he seems like the sort of person who resents being looked down-on so much that he always feels like a "victim," and can't listen to anybody who's critical of him. He can bully his way through the world, but the whole time, he feels like he's the one that's being unfairly treated. What's ironic is that N. Chas.'s reputation was on the way up, with positive press about Noisette and the new aerospace plant, among other things. Now Mayor Summey's managed to drag his city's reputation back into the sewer again. I think Charleston Native is right- this mayor should realize his city's a suburb of Charleston. If you want people to stop looking down on you, become a better suburb. You'll never accomplish that if all the neighboring towns hate you.

North chas. poised to annex Goose Creek area Golf Course

Another shot in the newest Trident annexation battle. An annexation in Berkeley County that was withdrawn earlier in the year is 'revived' and is up for a last minute third reading.

This should definitely get Goose Creek and Hanahan moving to start protecting their surrounding areas from being annexed by N. Chas. It might even help Summerville take in new territory.

Goose Creek is already exceeding such mid-sized cities as Florence and Anderson in population. With an aggressive effort, it might be able to grow into Spartanburg and Rock Hill's league. Same thing for Summerville.

North Chas annexes Golf Course despite last minute effort by CPW to withdraw

CPW attempted to withdraw from the North Chas. annexation petition just hours before the vote in which the city council approved it. Don't be surprised to see yet another lawsuit soon.

It should be interesting to see what the cities of Hanahan, Goose Creek, and CPW do in the next couple of weeks.

I understand his reasons for this annexation, but shouldn't that be left to the cities which have closer contiguous limits such as Hanahan or Goose Creek?
...playing devils advocate...wouldn't that suggest that N. Chuck...not Charleston...should have annexed Daniels Island.

I'd like to hear from any forumers who live in North Charleston (its ok, we wont bite ) about their mayor.

not a N. Chuck resident...I live in unincorporated Dorchester County...but I have a N. Chuck address and have had dealing with Mayor Summey. I think some of the supposition is accurate...he feels that North Charleston is looked down upon and he is not keen to being considered second class....

...but I do feel he is doing what he feels is best for his city...the same way Riley or Hallman feel like they do for their cities....its just really unfortunate that they can't coorperate on a regional level to benefit the entire area.

Finally, There are some really depressed areas of NC that would take decades and billions of $s to redevelop, but areas like Wescott Plantation can be built from the ground up and attract more people and more investment into "North Charleston"...the only problem is these folks tend to associate themselves more with Summerville that NC....and I would bet the same would happen in Berkeley Cty despite any annexation efforts from ole Mayer Summey

...playing devils advocate...wouldn't that suggest that N. Chuck...not Charleston...should have annexed Daniels Island.

not a N. Chuck resident...I live in unincorporated Dorchester County...but I have a N. Chuck address and have had dealing with Mayor Summey. I think some of the supposition is accurate...he feels that North Charleston is looked down upon and he is not keen to being considered second class....

...but I do feel he is doing what he feels is best for his city...the same way Riley or Hallman feel like they do for their cities....its just really unfortunate that they can't coorperate on a regional level to benefit the entire area...

Well, keep in mind that Chas annexed Daniel Island because of N. Chuck. The city blew a huge opportunity when they let the north area incorporate on their own, and since the north city has seemed like it's trying to outgrow the primary city of the area, Chas needed to do something to maintain its status as the primary city.

Summey may feel like he's doing the best for the city, but I don't think he clearly understands the role that his city was supposed to play. Again, his city is a suburb, but he annexes land, builds new projects, and locates historical places in his city (Hunley museum) giving the impression that he believes his city should be the primary city. In some ways, I feel like the north city is a parasite...it sucks off of Charleston's prestige and reputation so it can locate business headquarters and industry without thinking about the residents of the city.

A good suburb concentrates on the quality of life of its residents FIRST, then it can bring in industry, retail, and business HQs. If Summey truly cared about what is best for his city, he would concentrate on the Noisette project and create other infill/redevelopment projects that the area badly needs. Look at Montague Avenue, lower Dorchester Road, and lower Rivers Avenue. I firmly believe that if N. Chuck was not trying to expand and grow exponentially, outpacing its sister city, there wouldn't be such a desire to grab land by virtually every municipality.

And wouldn't you know it, here's an article about Goose Creek and Hanahan gearing up for an annexation fight in this area in Berkeley County. Hanahan City Council and the Oaks Estates Civic Club have "circled the wagons", in response to a series of these N. Charleston annexations for land between Hanahan and Goose Creek. Oaks Estates residents will petition Goose Creek tonight to begin an annexation drive for their community and more than 100 surrounding acres. Hanahan City Council plans to pass a resolution tonight to begin actively pursuing annexations in the same area. The council was not specific as to what areas they are considering, but they hope to take in St. James, Goose Creek Church into Hanahan.

[url="http://www.charleston.net/stories/?newsID=49985

^^ You beat me to the punch on posting that article, Native.

Since Goose Creek and N. Chas. are attempting to annex overlapping areas, this no doubt will result in another lawsuit. Nevertheless, I am glad that the residents in these unincorporated areas are seeing the urgency of the situation. They should decide where they live, and obviously they prefer not to be in North Charleston.

Personally, I do not fault Summey. If I were in his position, I would try to grow my city as well. As far as Daniel Island goes, North Charleston had expected to annex it, but Riley beat him to the punch. There was a big stink over the situation back in the '90s (history repeats itself). Nevertheless, I'm sure the Daniel Island developers would prefer to be identified with Charleston anyway.

It is only logical that the residents would prefer to be in either Hanahan or Goose Creek. Perceptually, once you cross into Berkeley County, you have left N. Chas. These areas would be better represented than they would by North Charleston, because N.C. is so much bigger. Add in the reputation aspect, and it's pretty clear what the most popular choice is.

Archived