Columbiana Centre

Temeteron

• 1 month later...

I finally had the opportunity to Visit Haywood mall this past weekend. I was truely amazed. :shok: It has alot more going for itself than any of the malls in Columbia. I think its ownership is the main reason for this. Simon Malls is known for having some of the best malls. :thumbsup:

I also got to visit Spartanburg mall which has to be larger than any mall in Columbia. :shok: I was suprised to see the capital city's malls out done. I believe the main reason for its size is that it contained stores for every market. If Columbiana and Columbia PLace were joined :rofl: I feel that it would equal that which Spartanburg has.

Haywood in Greenville and Westgate in Spartanburg are the largest malls in the state.

You have different factors at play though. Haywood Mall may be large, but its also the only mall in Greenville. Westgate is the only mall in Spartanburg. Its generally understood that Haywood is a step above Westgate in terms of selection. I wouldn't say that Westgate is better than Columbiana. Bigger, yes. Better, no.

Columbia has 5 malls in various states of repair (Columbiana, Dutch Square, Midtown (Richland), Columbia Place, and Sandhill (which is effectively a mall). Two of them, Sandhill and Columbiana, serve two separate ends of town as the premier shopping destinations. The situations in Columbia that drive the existance of these malls is very different than what is driving Greenville and Spartanburg. My guess is that if Columbia had only one mall and it was centrally located, it would easily match Haywood.

But besides the topic of size, hasnt anyone noticed that Haywood also beats Columbiana(and any mall in Columbia for that matter) in selection of stores? Haywood has the only Aldo in the state, not to mention the only Borders(express though), Buckle, J. Crew, and several others that the Columbia market doesnt have. For Charlotte to have a much bigger selection is understandable, but for Greenville to have a bigger selection (especially with stores that arent even that expensive), it really makes no sense that Columbia doesnt carry these middle class brands that Greenville seems to be able to pull off.

P.S. For those of you who keep up, Haywood has had a Coach, Ann Taylor, Abercrombie & Fitch, and Hollister long before Columbiana did.

Edited by Temeteron

It makes sense to me. I think that it ties back to what I was saying about Greenville's 1 mall versus Columbia's 5 malls. It dilutes the potential traffic at any one mall to have that many. Plus, Greenville pulls from a much larger population (Anderson, Spartanburg, Greenwood, etc). Obviously more goes into store selection at malls than available population, but I do think that is a significant part of the equation.

I do agree, as before, that the upstate malls are bigger. The driving time that I experienced between westgate and haywood was similar to me driving from my home in Northern Columbia to Harbison. I could only imagine the time it would take if someone in southeastern columbia wanted to visit Columbiana Center. :wacko: Columbia is very spread out with its two largerest shopping centers at the edges of town. :shok: Once again, as I stated before, I believe that one of the main reasons Haywood has a better selection of stores (for my taste) such as aldo, j crew... is due to its ownership. Simon malls owns some of the most highly recognized malls :shades: in the US so it is only imaginable that their repetoirre of stores would trickle to all of their establishments. As I walked through heywood, I saw several places that were once in columbia but have left. Most of them left during those hard times of the late 80's and early 90's of Columbia. I hope that some of them will eventually find there way back to this home market. J. Crew being a prime example of this. It was once located in Columbia Mall, on the upper level near wha tis now the food court. Eddie Bauer, Jerman Shoes are a couple others which were once actually located at columbia place mall. All the rest of the stores at Haywood, with the exception of a few can actually be found in the Columbia area. Essentially there isnt just one shopping venue that houses everything in a similar fashion to that of Westgate. Which I think is a great thing due to Columbia's size and structural make up. It truely does need the shopping centers that it has, and could even use Midtown at Forest Acres. Maybe Simon Mall (wishfully) will aquirre MidTown... :dunno:

I do agree, as before, that the upstate malls are bigger. The driving time that I experienced between westgate and haywood was similar to me driving from my home in Northern Columbia to Harbison. I could only imagine the time it would take if someone in southeastern columbia wanted to visit Columbiana Center. :wacko: Columbia is very spread out with its two largerest shopping centers at the edges of town. :shok: Once again, as I stated before, I believe that one of the main reasons Haywood has a better selection of stores (for my taste) such as aldo, j crew... is due to its ownership. Simon malls owns some of the most highly recognized malls :shades: in the US so it is only imaginable that their repetoirre of stores would trickle to all of their establishments. As I walked through heywood, I saw several places that were once in columbia but have left. Most of them left during those hard times of the late 80's and early 90's of Columbia. I hope that some of them will eventually find there way back to this home market. J. Crew being a prime example of this. It was once located in Columbia Mall, on the upper level near wha tis now the food court. Eddie Bauer, Jerman Shoes are a couple others which were once actually located at columbia place mall. All the rest of the stores at Haywood, with the exception of a few can actually be found in the Columbia area. Essentially there isnt just one shopping venue that houses everything in a similar fashion to that of Westgate. Which I think is a great thing due to Columbia's size and structural make up. It truely does need the shopping centers that it has, and could even use Midtown at Forest Acres. Maybe Simon Mall (wishfully) will aquirre MidTown... :dunno:

What are the median income comparisons between the 2 ares? Anyone have the data?

I sure hope so. I visited Greensboro recently and they have two outdoor shopping areas, in the same location, but serving completely different markets. :P "The Friendly Center," and "The Shops at the Friendly Center." The Frindly Center was like your basic mall, except it was not enclosed. The fascade was brick which looked a bit more refined than the Colored Stucco look of VAS. The Shops at the Friendly Center, (adjacent to the Friendly Center, but not adjoined) contained the more upscale/ high end stores and restaurants. I hope/imagine, :rolleyes: that with Killian being so close to VAS it would offer a variety of stores not currently present in the Columbia area (upspcale/high end). Does anyone know when we will start to see some serious movement in that area? :cry:

I sure hope so. I visited Greensboro recently and they have two outdoor shopping areas, in the same location, but serving completely different markets. :P "The Friendly Center," and "The Shops at the Friendly Center." The Frindly Center was like your basic mall, except it was not enclosed. The fascade was brick which looked a bit more refined than the Colored Stucco look of VAS. The Shops at the Friendly Center, (adjacent to the Friendly Center, but not adjoined) contained the more upscale/ high end stores and restaurants. I hope/imagine, :rolleyes: that with Killian being so close to VAS it would offer a variety of stores not currently present in the Columbia area (upspcale/high end). Does anyone know when we will start to see some serious movement in that area? :cry:

The shops at Friendly Center in Greensboro is wonderful! They have PF Chang's, Bravo Cucina Italiana, Ben & Jerry's, Fleming(one of the best restaurants in the Triad), the 2nd Sur La Table in the Carolinas, Ann Taylor, Johnston & Murphy, Bandolino, and several others.....and its only like not even 10 minutes from Four Seasons Town Center Mall.

• 1 month later...

Coastal Grande in Myrtle Beach is either the largest or second largest.

I wonder if Killian's Crossing might draw some of these brands that are missing from the Columbia market?

This is the order of mall sizes in SC as best as I can tell

1. Haywood Mall, Greenville 1.2 million sq ft
  2. Citadel Mall, Charleston, 1.11 sq ft
  3. WestGate Mall, Spartanburg, 1.10 million sq ft
  4. Columbia Place Mall, Columbia, 1.0 million sq ft
  5. Costal Grand Mall, Myrtle Beach 930,000 sq ft
  6. NorthWoods Mall, North Charleston, 830,000
  7. Columbiana Center, Columbia, 817,000 sq ft
  8. Richland Mall, Forest Acres, 726,000 sq ft
  9. Anderson Mall, Anderson, 635,000 sq ft
  10. Dutch Square Mall, Columbia, 600,000 sq ft
  11. Magnolia Mall, Florence, 600,000 sq ft
  12. Colonial Mall, Myrtle Beach, 524,000 sq ft
  13. Town Center, Mount Pleasant, 442,000 sq ft
  14. Village at Sandhill, Columbia, 400,000 sq ft
  15. Sumter Mall, Sumter, 345,000 sq ft
  16. Prime Outlets, Gaffney, 305,000 sq ft
Couldn't find anything on the Galleria in Rock Hill or Florence Mall

CBL & Associates owns a lot of malls in SC. Simon Properties owns some others.

• 2 weeks later...

I've heard of Buckle and have been in a few. It's basically for the 15-24 year old with plenty of overpriced namebrand crap that you can find pretty much anyplace else. As you can see I have been quite impressed with them. There is a store in Huntington, WV, Lexington, KY, or Myrtle, hell I can't remember I went into once or twice and that was pretty much it.

Edited by The_sandlapper

I don't expect Buckle to do well in Columbia. Buckle has struggled for an audience throughout the Carolinas. Buckle isn't meeting expectations in Hanes Mall, Charlotte or Greenville. My thinking is that this was a leveraged deal. They had to open in Columbiana Centre to get another big mall.