Columbiana Centre

Temeteron

The difference between Columbia and other cities is that there is not a "favored quarter." By that I mean that most cities have a part of town that is always where the wealthy people tend to locate, and retail follows accordingly. In Charleston its generally to the north (Mount Pleasant) though Downtown offers a high quality selection of retail due to its history. In Greenville its the southeast (Mauldin/Five Forks). In Charlotte its the South (SouthPark, Ballantyne), etc.

In Columbia you have the Northeast and the Northwest suburbs that have a similar weight, and so you don't have that one part of town that is necessarily more attractive to retail than the other. IMO this situation creates a unique situation for Columbia, in that it is more able to support multiple retail districts of equal quality. Probably not more than 2 that would be comparable... my point, however, is that because of the layout of Columbia, they should theoretically be able to support more than the average city of its size.

The difference between Columbia and other cities is that there is not a "favored quarter." By that I mean that most cities have a part of town that is always where the wealthy people tend to locate, and retail follows accordingly. In Charleston its generally to the north (Mount Pleasant) though Downtown offers a high quality selection of retail due to its history. In Greenville its the southeast (Mauldin/Five Forks). In Charlotte its the South (SouthPark, Ballantyne), etc.

In Columbia you have the Northeast and the Northwest suburbs that have a similar weight, and so you don't have that one part of town that is necessarily more attractive to retail than the other. IMO this situation creates a unique situation for Columbia, in that it is more able to support multiple retail districts of equal quality. Probably not more than 2 that would be comparable... my point, however, is that because of the layout of Columbia, they should theoretically be able to support more than the average city of its size.

Honestly, although NE & NW are similar In demographics, the retail in NW/irmo is much better than Sandhills.....for crying out loud there's a cracker barrel and a tiny Belk at VAS and half the stores there have closed...if I were an out of towner and went to both malls I would automatically assume that Irmo was the wealthiest area...

I can't comment on those other cities but wealth isn't so concentrated in the Mauldin/Five Forks area of Greenville. There are well known clusters in the Augusta Rd/ Greenville Country Club area south of Cleveland Park and to the north of town around Paris Mt. and to the east - Pebble Creek golf course vicinity, etc. Most of the Eastside from Greenville city limits towards Greer is comfortably upper middle income too.

I can't comment on those other cities but wealth isn't so concentrated in the Mauldin/Five Forks area of Greenville. There are well known clusters in the Augusta Rd/ Greenville Country Club area south of Cleveland Park and to the north of town around Paris Mt. and to the east - Pebble Creek golf course vicinity, etc. Most of the Eastside from Greenville city limits towards Greer is comfortably upper middle income too.

Columbia has those clusters too, in Shandon and Forest Acres. But there are clear patterns of growth in terms of these demographics.

Greenville, IMO, has less defined corridors so perhaps trying to define it to the south east is too restrictive. The wealth is there, obviously, but its more haphazard in terms of its location.

I agree that most of those stores have closed due to the economy. Closings are occuring everywhere. IMO VAS has alot of overlap in terms store offering. There doesnt seem to be a wide variety. I think Columbiana, being a more mature mall, has more variety at this time. VAS still has potential, I cant imagine it failing, at least not yet. The North East area is still growing and VAS is the Main shopping destination over there (there meaning a good 10-15min from Clolumbia Mall). Also I imagine that with Columbiana being owned by a more seasoned and well known Company, that has its advantages in terms of attracting tenants.

Spartan does have a very good point about Columbia not having a favored area. Most major cities, as he stated, have an area of concentrated wealth. In the Columbia Metro Area the wealth is everywhere. At this point IMO the best place to consider putting the High End Retail would be the most centrally located area....DownTown. After living in Chas for 6 mos (of course I visited before) I think by having the most destinctive retail downtown helps keep the Heart of the City thriving. Those living in Mt. Pleasant, Kiawah, Isle of Palms, Danial Island... all venture to Down Town to visit the many specialty shops. If Columbia can create an area down town to attract more high end retail (i know there is already some on Divine, Vista, Main and 5pts) but more, I think it will help attract money from Lake Murray, Woodcreek Farms, Wilde Wood, Long Creek, Forest Acres, Hampton Hill, Ascot, Shandon (eventhough its DT).

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Due to some recent comments posted here, I decided to contact Columbiana Centre to inquire about their 'future site'. I received a reply back today.

"Thanks for checking out our mall on the website. Yes, we have designated that area for a future anchor but at this time, we have no specific plans or timetable. What would you like to see us do if the choice was up to you?"

I left off the General Manager's name since I have brought this into a forum.

So the question is to everyone, What would you like to see added to the mall in that future location?

I will respond to his email with the most common answers posted.

Due to some recent comments posted here, I decided to contact Columbiana Centre to inquire about their 'future site'. I received a reply back today.

"Thanks for checking out our mall on the website. Yes, we have designated that area for a future anchor but at this time, we have no specific plans or timetable. What would you like to see us do if the choice was up to you?"

So the question is to everyone, What would you like to see added to the mall in that future location?

Nordstrom! Just kidding. That would be cool though. I am still thinking that it could be Macy's.

A freakin upscale restaurant or two, with some more boutiques and a freakin Valet service! There is no mall in Columbia that has valet! Come on Famously Hot! Catch up with the rest of the world! (Or at least with CLT and ATL

A freakin upscale restaurant or two, with some more boutiques and a freakin Valet service! There is no mall in Columbia that has valet! Come on Famously Hot! Catch up with the rest of the world! (Or at least with CLT and ATL

Oh my, whatever will we do without valet parking at the mall?

A freakin upscale restaurant or two, with some more boutiques and a freakin Valet service!

HAHAHA. I'm pretty sure parking wouldn't be much of a burden.

He's just jerking your chain. The only vacancies at VAS are those in newly build pods. The condos haven't been selling too well, but the retail space is at least 90% leased.

Oh, OK. I kinda thought the condos would be a fail, so I'm not surprised at that. 90% leased is pretty darn good.

Any one else have a suggestion for Columbiana Centre's possible future store?

P.F. Chang's China Bistro

Crate & Barrel or Pottery Barn

The Fresh Market

I picked these options for a few reasons. I think this mall has enough Department stores. Once the economy starts to turn around maybe this mall can handle a few new higher end names to boost the traffic even more. Well foot traffic that is, the real traffic can be a pain sometimes! P.F. Chang's offers a somewhat upscale chain restaurant to the area. By this summer the mall will be without any sit down restaurants. Crate & Barrel or Pottery Barn for a furniture option unlike the run of the mill outlets we have. My last pick would have to be The Fresh Market. That store is very nice and it is a long drive just to visit the one in Forest Drive from the Northwest area. They actually used to be located on St. Andrews road some years back but moved.

Got it. So it sounds like there is a fresh food store deficiency in the northwest suburbs.

Exactly my point. As I said a few posts back, it is just not convenient to drive to Trenholm Plaza (Forest Drive) from the Irmo area. Perhaps things will change as the economy improves.

I agree that it is time for something a little more upscale for the Capital City. I am quite fond of P.F. Changs, and a Whole Foods would probably work well. Department Store wise Something upscale like Bloomingdales, Saks, Nordstroms would be nice. A department store of such caliber is completely missing from the market. Also I'd like to see the mall get an Aldo and maybe an Apple Store (not just the mini apple).

I agree that it is time for something a little more upscale for the Capital City. I am quite fond of P.F. Changs, and a Whole Foods would probably work well. Department Store wise Something upscale like Bloomingdales, Saks, Nordstroms would be nice. A department store of such caliber is completely missing from the market. Also I'd like to see the mall get an Aldo and maybe an Apple Store (not just the mini apple).

I do not think that Columbia would not get a bloomingdales or Saks yet. Bloomingdales is a definate no because there is not even one in Charlotte yet. I do not think that Columbia will get a Saks Fifth Avenue yet because it is not ready for it yet. Also, Saks is not doing very good now. Neiman Marcus is doing better, but there is even less of a chance of it opening in Columbia than Saks. However, Nordstrom is possible.

Columbiana Centre's management company has filed for bankruptcy. They claim shoppers won't notice a difference.

I'll still shop there. As long as it doesn't cause severe adjustment of leases for stores it's probably an accurate statement that we won't notice a difference.