Columbiana Centre

Temeteron

Likewise there are stores in Columbia that are not in Greenville and/or Charleston.

Thats true. However, the more upsclae stores are in Greenville or Charleston. (Pottery Barn, Apple, J. Crew, Ann Taylor, etc. Greenville/Charleston have these stores, plus Greenville has a BCBGMAXAZARIA at Dillards and Charleston has a boutique. BCBG does not list a store for Columbia. Putting Nordies at Columbiana would be like Saks at Triangle Town Center (Raleigh) or Neiman Marcus at Ridgmar (Fort Worth).

• 1 year later...

I live pretty close to Columbiana after moving to Columbia from out west (ABQ) last year and I say I like it wish it was two stories but the A&F store wins me over. I don't think JCPenney was doom and gloom for the mall although I don't shop there. However unlike the malls of Denver and Phoenix I'm use to this does seem like a downscale but I guess I have Charlotte and Atlanta or so they say.

My new boyfriend took me out to Village at Sandhill but wasn't impressed, the life style center I use to visit most when I lived in NoCo had Macy's not JCPenney. Sorry I lov ed Aeropostale a few years ago but now they sell high school clothes now when I'm currently trying to get into grad school.

Edited by dusty87

• 4 months later...

Dillard's, as a company, is in poor shape so it isn't beyond the realm of possibility. If they close I vote for Nordstrom's to take their place.

And after that build a Bergdorf Goodman and a Barneys!!!!!! Seriously, if Charleston cannot support a Saks, Columbia definitely cannot support a Nordstrom. I wish I lived in you and Temeteron's worlds...

Seriously, if Charleston cannot support a Saks, Columbia definitely cannot support a Nordstrom.

While I agree that it would be premature to expect a Nordstrom in Columbia (perhaps a Nordstrom Rack would be a little more realistic), Saks closing in Charleston is a totally unrelated thing. Saks shuttered several stores nationwide, including locations in Denver, Portland, and San Diego.

While I agree that it would be premature to expect a Nordstrom in Columbia (perhaps a Nordstrom Rack would be a little more realistic), Saks closing in Charleston is a totally unrelated thing. Saks shuttered several stores nationwide, including locations in Denver, Portland, and San Diego.

Definitely! The reason why it closed is mostly due to the condition Saks was/is in, and the size of the store. I could see a Nordstrom in Greenville first (at least if Sears closes), but Columbia wouldn't be far behind.

Edited by ct36

• 5 months later...

Not feeling too good about Abercrombie & Fitch lasting at Columbiana (Abercrombie & Fitch and Abercrombie Kids). I'm not expecting them to last too long after Christmas.

I don't think I would be too worried about that. They are only closing 50-60 stores, including Hollister do that's probably 15 Hollister, 20 kids and 25 A&F stores. They are mostly just closing in smaller markets like Roanoke. Besides, it is tied with Haywood as largest in the state. Men's is much larger at Columbiana but women's was much larger at Haywood. TBH, I hated Columbiana. Haywood just looked so much better and each anchor store is much larger.

Abercrombie & FItch and Abercrombie Kids will close in Columbiana Centre January 14, 2012.

Wow. It's pretty surprising that a a city as large at Columbia will be Abercrombie-less. It makes me worry about the Asheville store. Then again, they did close off part of the store at Columbiana, and the Asheville store seems to do extremely well for the mall and size of the store.

Is there a link to the source re: the closing of A&F at Columbiana Centre?

Columbiana Centre is not making comments on it. I don't even think the store is saying anything. They officially have stopped receiving shipments and currently don't have a store manager (not hiring a store manager either).

How do you know this? Do you work there?

It seems very odd that a city of Columbia's size and with a large student population would lose A&F. I hope this isn't true, or, at the very least, they are going to move locations instead of abandoning the market altogether.

Generally, during the current time, if an A&F is closing then it will not be replaced.

I'm actually not surprised to hear about A&F's plans to close, there is never anyone in there. I think that store has lost most of it's customer base (they've grown up) and they haven't really kept up with the trends. I foresee them shutting their doors in other cities as well.

Edited by BrasilnSC

I'm actually not surprised to hear about A&F's plans to close, there is never anyone in there. I think that store has lost most of it's customer base (they've grown up) and they haven't really kept up with the trends. I foresee them shutting their doors in other cities as well.

It's mostly just this area. In the Carolinas, the only stores that are fairly profitable are SouthPark and Haywood. The Asheville store does really well for it's size. One of the reasons why people love A&F so much is the classic styles and good quality. The quality isn't quite as good as it used to be, but places like A&F and J. Crew that sell classic styles vs. trendy stuff don't quite make as much money, but are more lasting in the long run.

Edit: Well, I guess I was exaggerating about how they're not doing so bad. It's just not too popular here.

King Street, Charleston-closing Jan 7

So sad..... :( My hometown!

Edited by ct36

I have yet to see a definitive list of A&F stores to be shuttered. Does someone have a link or is this all still hearsay at this point?

A&F never releases store closing lists. The associates generally aren't allowed to say if a store is closing, either. However, they do stop receiving shipments if a store is closing. There is no extra closing sale, either. They just close and everything left is shipped back to home office for online orders but more likely to a nearby store that has enough space and sales to sell it. So, chances are that Columbiana's excess will probably be shipped to the A&F stores at either Haywood, SouthPark, Lenox Square, or Mall of Georgia.

Edited by ct36

Thank you. I wasn't trying to question you, I'm just curious where the information is coming from. It isn't surprising that A&F keeps this info rather quiet.

On the upside, A&F's space at Columbiana would be a great location for an Apple Store. :rolleyes:

(Sorry to open that can of worms...)

I know, it's alright! Generally it's what I've learned from other sites and my experiences with them. LoveCulture is opening in A&F and Sephora in the kids store. Apple would be better, but the A&F store is about 9800 square feet. A Columbia Apple store would be about 6K square feet at the largest.

Wow this news about A&F closing at Columbiana definitely makes me feel sad. Actually the truth is A&F as a whole has been hurting as of late. It was about what a little over a year ago this time of year when A&F shuttered over 100 stores and even closed one store at a very upscale mall in Denver(Flatirons Crossing).

EDIT: Found it!

http://blogs.citypag...crombie_fit.php

The A&F store at Columbiana is very, very nice inside but its true in the two years I've lived here I never saw much traffic inside the store. Nowhere as busy as sister Hollister and rivals AE, Buckle, and Aeropostale.

Is Forever 21 at Columbiana going to get a men's section in their expansion? Because I would definitely want that!

Who knows, maybe an H&M store in is this mall's future... :shades:

Edited by dusty87