Columbiana Centre

Temeteron

Wow this news about A&F closing at Columbiana definitely makes me feel sad. Actually the truth is A&F as a whole has been hurting as of late. It was about what a little over a year ago this time of year when A&F shuttered over 100 stores and even closed one store at a very upscale mall in Denver(Flatirons Crossing).

EDIT: Found it!

http://blogs.citypag...crombie_fit.php

The A&F store at Columbiana is very, very nice inside but its true in the two years I've lived here I never saw much traffic inside the store. Nowhere as busy as sister Hollister and rivals AE, Buckle, and Aeropostale.

Is Forever 21 at Columbiana going to get a men's section in their expansion? Because I would definitely want that!

Who knows, maybe an H&M store in is this mall's future... :shades:

Actually, it was 60 stores over all 3 brands, a little less than 30 A&F stores. Flat Iron Crossing isn't quite as upscale or successful as Park Meadows, at least it seems. Then there's Cherry Creek, which is truly very upscale. I think Forever 21 is getting a men's section, but I'm not completely sure.

When Flatirons first opened it was, especially when it opened with a Lord and Taylor. Also I'd say Flatirons was a success it caused three other malls in Denver and Boulder to shutter altogether. You can't beat Cherry Creek for sure, although like Charleston they've lost their Saks.

Anyways I talked to a rather causal acquaintance who works at A&F in Columbiana today and he said A&F is mainly going to focus in bigger markets and bigger malls and has been closing stores as their leases come up. He's going to be working at the Hollister store in the meantime.

• 3 weeks later...

Columbia's Abercrombie & Fitch was still open as of Saturday, January 14, 2012, and did not appear to be emptying out as a result of a liquidation sale. A check of the A&F website on January 16 also lists the Columbiana Centre location as still open. Perhaps the rumors weren't true after all and Columbiana's A&F was spared?

Columbia's Abercrombie & Fitch was still open as of Saturday, January 14, 2012, and did not appear to be emptying out as a result of a liquidation sale. A check of the A&F website on January 16 also lists the Columbiana Centre location as still open. Perhaps the rumors weren't true after all and Columbiana's A&F was spared?

http://ldiline.com/showpdf.cfm?proj=24256&file=001CVR_A0.0.pdf&dir=CVR

According to this link, Love Culture was already slated to move in. The renovation has also been bid on. I do think it will stay open for long.

I think Columbiana needs to look into expanding soon. I know they have plans already made. An expansion is badly needed since the mall is at 100% occupancy.

The State says they closed on 1-14: http://www.thestate....s-notebook.html I imagine they did close for good after Saturday and A&F's website just hasn't been updated yet. Sephora and Love Culture will be replacing the Abercrombie Kids and Fitch spaces at Columbiana Centre. Construction bids have already gone out for them.

Edited by citylife

A&F's sales for stores that are closing aren't quite as good as the regular sales. Instead of 30% off entire purchase/50% off clearance, they just have 40% off everything, and hardly any clearance. There were many things in Asheville half the price as they were at Haywood. The Columbiana store has definitely closed, A&F just doesn't really update their store locations until after about a week.

Is the A&F outlet store down in Hilton Head is still open? Then again A&F's website doesn't seem to list their outlet store locations.

I was sad that Columbia lost their American Apparel location last year due to their filing Chapter 11. Now I'm sad we lost another nice in spite of the naysayers I did enjoy their classic wear too. I do like Hollister but its not the same.

I guess if I need A&F now I'll shop online or plan a day in Charlotte. Or Augusta if that one is still open too. I just really, really hope A&F is not going to go the way of Anchor Blue.

This article is two years old but it seems to sheds more light on the closings and A&F troubles:

http://www.dispatch....ose-stores.html

As for Columbiana itself, yes expansion is needed. Close dying Sears and bring on Macy's from Columbia Place. Do something with that fifth anchor pad. Open a California Pizza Kitchen in the closed restaurant area by Forever 21.

Edited by dusty87

Is the A&F outlet store down in Hilton Head is still open? Then again A&F's website doesn't seem to list their outlet store locations.

I was sad that Columbia lost their American Apparel location last year due to their filing Chapter 11. Now I'm sad we lost another nice in spite of the naysayers I did enjoy their classic wear too. I do like Hollister but its not the same.

I guess if I need A&F now I'll shop online or plan a day in Charlotte. Or Augusta if that one is still open too. I just really, really hope A&F is not going to go the way of Anchor Blue.

This article is two years old but it seems to sheds more light on the closings and A&F troubles:

http://www.dispatch....ose-stores.html

As for Columbiana itself, yes expansion is needed. Close dying Sears and bring on Macy's from Columbia Place. Do something with that fifth anchor pad. Open a California Pizza Kitchen in the closed restaurant area by Forever 21.

As far as I know A&F hasn't planned on closing any outlet stores, so there will still be one in Hilton Head and Commerce.

Just so you know, the best one in Charlotte is SouthPark and the best in Atlanta are Mall of Georgia, then Lenox and Perimeter.

I think Von Maur or Macy's would do well at Columbiana. Macy's could open at Sandhills, or at Columbiana if Von Maur doesn't come first. Von Maur would work better in Columbia than Greenville based on what I've heard/experience. Since Columbiana doesn't have a Macy's, it could work better than Haywood, since it would have Von Maur, Belk, Dillard's, and Macy's. From what I have heard/seen is that Haywood's department stores are much larger and slightly more upscale than Columbiana's, except for maybe Belk mens at Columbiana, which sounds to be more upscale than men's at Haywood.

Then, I think a lifestyle center with H&M, P. F. Chang's, Pottery Barn, J. Crew, California Pizza Kitchen, etc. would be great where Sears is.

http://ldiline.com/s...0.0.pdf&dir=CVR

According to this link, Love Culture was already slated to move in. The renovation has also been bid on. I do think it will stay open for long.

I think Columbiana needs to look into expanding soon. I know they have plans already made. An expansion is badly needed since the mall is at 100% occupancy.

ColaPro

Do you have more information on Columbiana's expansion plans? I have always thought that this mall is too small to serve as the primary mall of a MSA with 800k residents. I could see a lifestyle center attached somewhere if there is enough room.

As far as I know A&F hasn't planned on closing any outlet stores, so there will still be one in Hilton Head and Commerce.

Just so you know, the best one in Charlotte is SouthPark and the best in Atlanta are Mall of Georgia, then Lenox and Perimeter.

I think Von Maur or Macy's would do well at Columbiana. Macy's could open at Sandhills, or at Columbiana if Von Maur doesn't come first. Von Maur would work better in Columbia than Greenville based on what I've heard/experience. Since Columbiana doesn't have a Macy's, it could work better than Haywood, since it would have Von Maur, Belk, Dillard's, and Macy's. From what I have heard/seen is that Haywood's department stores are much larger and slightly more upscale than Columbiana's, except for maybe Belk mens at Columbiana, which sounds to be more upscale than men's at Haywood.

Then, I think a lifestyle center with H&M, P. F. Chang's, Pottery Barn, J. Crew, California Pizza Kitchen, etc. would be great where Sears is.

I agree. Columbiana should be more upscale than it currently is. Could definitely support more upscales stores than currently exist.

• 1 month later...

Columbiana definitely needs an expansion whether it be a new wing or a second story. They also need at least one parking garage added to help with parking and traffic flows.

parking garage or extra floor does sounds like a great idea. i think they need to build underground though. one floor down would be nice. with a underground garage.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I could easily see the first 4 happening. It's really hard to say where Nordstrom would go.

Greenville-largest and best/most upscale mall, Nordstrom stores around 1.5-2 hours away, etc. plus would be on same interstate area with Atlanta and Charlotte stores (which some chains prefer)

Columbia-tons of bad/just okay malls, then Columbiana, which is nicer but not as nice and as large as Haywood, largest city, but SouthPark is a little closer than it is to Greenville to CLT, but farther from Atlanta), best distribution over state, etc.

Charleston-more tourists, more upscale shopping, overall bad malls with nice downtown (which Nordstrom really doesn't do except in large cities), farthest from Nordstrom stores.

The problem is that all three want Nordstrom. Also, all three really could have Nordstrom. Only 1 will likely get Nordstrom. There's really no way to tell where they will go because each place has it's advantages, etc. I normally give the edge to Greenville, but I'm not so sure.

If they wanted to put one farthest from other stores, then Charleston would be best. The problem is that it just seems like Charleston is kind of isolated. Like its there and big, but there's not that much around it. Columbia is kind of the same way. Greenville on the other hand, does have Spartanburg and Anderson and Asheville not too far off. Almost like Greenville would probably pull in more people to shop there.

Haywood is also older and less attractive than Columbiana (exterior only). Another thing is that you never know if Dillard's will close. They aren't doing too well, but I do think there are many weaker stores they could close before Columbiana.

• 1 month later...

Lots of information in Shop Around about Columbiana this week:

Things Remembered
opens is newly relocated store today.
Love Culture
will open a new 9,800-square-foot store Wednesday. Also, next week,
Spencer’s
and
Bourbon Street Grill
will open their newly remodeled stores. The long-anticipated
Sephora
will open June 15 in its 5,109-square-foot location.
Best Buy Mobile
plans to open a 942-square-foot store June 20. Last week,
Chick-fil-A
opened its newly remodeled store, and
Lids
opened its relocated and expanded store.

http://www.thestate.com/2012/05/11/2271821/m-corporate-office-opens-in-columbia.html

• 4 weeks later...

-Love Culture is now open and looks great. Very similar to Forever21.

-Things Remembered has moved locations.

-A mini donut kiosk called The Dough Factory has opened infront of JCPenny.

-Trade Secret has closed and Best Buy Mobile is replacing it. Not that exciting.

-Lids has now opened.

-Bouquets Boutique is opening were Hat World was.

-Sephora is opening on Friday.

I really wish Columbiana would remodel the enitre mall. Clean up the facades, redo the food court, and just make the mall fell more classy. I also wish they would finally expand so Macy's and multiple retailers could move in. All of these changes would go a long way.

-Love Culture is now open and looks great. Very similar to Forever21.

-Things Remembered has moved locations.

-A mini donut kiosk called The Dough Factory has opened infront of JCPenny.

-Trade Secret has closed and Best Buy Mobile is replacing it. Not that exciting.

-Lids has now opened.

-Bouquets Boutique is opening were Hat World was.

-Sephora is opening on Friday.

I really wish Columbiana would remodel the enitre mall. Clean up the facades, redo the food court, and just make the mall fell more classy. I also wish they would finally expand so Macy's and multiple retailers could move in. All of these changes would go a long way.

In order for this mall to expand they would have to have a parking garage and become two stories. As far as another anchor tenant, I don't think there is room to be honest, unless one of the current ones closes (Sears?)....

In order for this mall to expand they would have to have a parking garage and become two stories. As far as another anchor tenant, I don't think there is room to be honest, unless one of the current ones closes (Sears?)....

I know expanding to two stories would be very expensive. It would be awesome but probably won't happen. I would also think they would not want to add a parking garage. According to the offical mall plans, they would expand near JCPenny to add a 5th anchor. I would personally like to see Sears destroyed with an expaned hall way with alteast 15 store fronts and an anchor to the side facing Ruby Tuesday.

Your right i think a Garage is in order. if they build a garage they can easily expand without building a second floor.

(currently waiting for Hot Topic to open back up :( i have to wait)