Columbiana Centre

Temeteron

I think that they should add Macy's on the other end (where the anchor pad is next to JCP), tear down the Sears, and put a lifestyle center there, or expand the mall, whichever works best. I'm sure that J. Crew, P.F. Chang's, Pottery Barn, Apple, etc. would love to open there. They definitely need it as myself and everyone else I went here with thought that it was a very underwhelming mall. Nicer than Asheville Mall, but definitely not as nice as Haywood.

Also, I am kind of confused with the theme? On the outside it looks like normal department stores attached to a Spanish themed mall, but inside it looks kind of Italian? I think that they should renovate it since it's so odd. The exterior does look better than Haywood (with the exclusion of Haywood's entrances, which look better IMO), but the interior does not look as good as Haywood IMO. I just kind of think that it's odd that Haywood has the largest mall, Belk, Dillard's, Sears, etc. in SC and is a nicer mall than the larger capital city. I definitely want Haywood to be nicer since it's more home to me than Columbia, but Columbia/Columbiana should be nicer than it is. But then again, isn't Columbia closer to Charlotte than Greenville is?

Edited by ct36

I think that they should add Macy's on the other end (where the anchor pad is next to JCP), tear down the Sears, and put a lifestyle center there, or expand the mall, whichever works best. I'm sure that J. Crew, P.F. Chang's, Pottery Barn, Apple, etc. would love to open there. They definitely need it as myself and everyone else I went here with thought that it was a very underwhelming mall. Nicer than Asheville Mall, but definitely not as nice as Haywood.

Also, I am kind of confused with the theme? On the outside it looks like normal department stores attached to a Spanish themed mall, but inside it looks kind of Italian? I think that they should renovate it since it's so odd. The exterior does look better than Haywood (with the exclusion of Haywood's entrances, which look better IMO), but the interior does not look as good as Haywood IMO. I just kind of think that it's odd that Haywood has the largest mall, Belk, Dillard's, Sears, etc. in SC and is a nicer mall than the larger capital city. I definitely want Haywood to be nicer since it's more home to me than Columbia, but Columbia/Columbiana should be nicer than it is. But then again, isn't Columbia closer to Charlotte than Greenville is?

I think they should add a lifestyle center off that side as well. They need more restaurants and stores you mentioned. The interior is also Spanish themed (think old world Spain) and I think they do a decent job with it. I actually like both Haywood and Columbiana because their styles are unique and still classy. Greenville only has one mall and is surrounded by many cities that do not have mall stores. Columbia is way overmalled and a few need to close to make Columbiana grow and more retail to be attracted to Harbison. There should really only be two big mall areas: Village at Sandhill and Columbiana Mall and two smaller retail "hubs": downtown/Forest Acres and Lexington.

They really need to attract a cool retailer to fill up that last anchor spot. Maybe Von Maur, Macy's, Crate and Barrel, large Barnes and Noble, movie theater or something. The outside could be updated with more landscaping to make the mall more attractive. Sears is dying and really brings down the mall but that would probably be the last Columbia location to close so I understand why it's there.

I think a lifestyle would do well there. We even have a J. Crew and P.F. Chang's in Asheville so Columbia should definitely have one too!

Haha that shows you how much I know about anything Spanish, lol. It doesn't really make sense why Columbiana doesn't have more stores because of all the other malls (since the stores Columbiana wants to attract would never open at the others) , but I guess it does at the same time. I guess because if the others finally died off then even more people would shop at Columbiana. Village at Sandhills seems nice. The only thing is that it is off of 20 and farther away from downtown (I think), and Columbiana is closer and on 26 (which seems to have more traffic, plus more visibility). They are getting a Sephora inside jcp there too, right? I was sad going through by Columbiana, wishing that Sephora was opening on Friday the 8th rather than Friday the 15th ;(

At least I got to go the Myrtle Beach jcp one. Macy's would probably want to move to Columbiana soon since Columbia Place has nothing good. C&B would be nice, but I'm kind of doubtful that would happen. I really just want Nordstrom to open in all 3 larger SC cities, but I think I would rather have 3 strong, midscale stores with some upscale options (Belk, Dillard's, Macy's) rather than have one of the least upscale Nordstroms that is somewhat weak.

I think that the only place that could get Nordstrom is Charleston, and only if they kicked Forever 21 out. 78,000 square feet on 3 levels is definitely large enough for one, the same size as the Naples store.

I think a lifestyle would do well there. We even have a J. Crew and P.F. Chang's in Asheville so Columbia should definitely have one too!

Haha that shows you how much I know about anything Spanish, lol. It doesn't really make sense why Columbiana doesn't have more stores because of all the other malls (since the stores Columbiana wants to attract would never open at the others) , but I guess it does at the same time. I guess because if the others finally died off then even more people would shop at Columbiana. Village at Sandhills seems nice. The only thing is that it is off of 20 and farther away from downtown (I think), and Columbiana is closer and on 26 (which seems to have more traffic, plus more visibility). They are getting a Sephora inside jcp there too, right? I was sad going through by Columbiana, wishing that Sephora was opening on Friday the 8th rather than Friday the 15th ;(

At least I got to go the Myrtle Beach jcp one. Macy's would probably want to move to Columbiana soon since Columbia Place has nothing good. C&B would be nice, but I'm kind of doubtful that would happen. I really just want Nordstrom to open in all 3 larger SC cities, but I think I would rather have 3 strong, midscale stores with some upscale options (Belk, Dillard's, Macy's) rather than have one of the least upscale Nordstroms that is somewhat weak.

I think that the only place that could get Nordstrom is Charleston, and only if they kicked Forever 21 out. 78,000 square feet on 3 levels is definitely large enough for one, the same size as the Naples store.

Actually the Columbiana Sephora will be the first Sephora in the state of South Carolina NOT in a jcp. It will be a stand-alone Sephora.

Edited by lucjanrc

Actually the Columbiana Sephora will be the first Sephora in the state of South Carolina NOT in a jcp. It will be a stand-alone Sephora.

Yep. Should be opening very soon (this weekend?) if not already opened. Greenville's stand alone Sephora opens July 13th.

Edited by citylife

Actually, Columbiana is getting a full-line Sephora but Village at Sandhills is getting a Sephora inside jcp, if I am correct. There previously was never a Sephora anywhere in Columbia.

Oh, and as for A&F, I'm pretty sure the reason why it closed was because Loveculture/Sephora approached the mall and wanted a space, so they kicked A&F out since the lease was over, or A&F decided they couldn't pay that. It happens a lot of the time, unfortunately. That is actually pretty obvious now that I think about it, especially since the article about Loveculture and Sephora opening came out before the one about A&F closing. Haywood's A&F closed only about a week before people found out about Sephora, If I am correct. Columbiana's was probably just too high, and Haywood probably did not give them the option to renew because Haywood actually was pretty busy on weekends, and Columbiana only have half the people and only about half were buying, so they probably did not renew, or may have even been kicked out (sounds a little harsh, but I can't think of another phrase to use) by the mall. It's kind of annoying, however, because there are many other stores that are less upscale they could have gotten rid of, but instead they just had to get rid of a more upscale retailer, instead of something boring like Radioshack, Payless Shoes, etc. Now Charleston was probably because the rent was WAY too high. Anthropologie is opening there, but it has sat empty for months, and still is empty.

Edited by ct36

Columbiana definitely needs a J.Crew (!) and PF Changs. I think Macy's will move there soon, maybe they will create a new wing soon? It would be awesome if they built an underground parking deck (I know it wouldn't happen but it would be cool). The above ground ones at malls often look rough. I wish the Sears would renovate their store completely because it is the least attractive anchor. Village at Sandhill won't ever be a destination mall, but I feel like it will become like Trenholm Plaza in the long run and attract a lot of the retail for the Northeast area. Columbiana will evolve to become more of a regional mall in the long run and may begin to mimic Haywood. The surrounding area of stores by Columbiana is better than Haywoods (but they are working on that!).

Harbison needs to add turning lanes, planted medians and better sidewalks, lights and stop lights. They should try to make the corridor more upscale so it will retain stores in the long run. The Books-a-million shopping center and the Toys R Us will need some attention in the coming years, especially being right next to the mall. Maybe Columbiana can move the theater near them (Carmike) into a new mall wing and they could build nice apartments there.

Oh, and the interchange needs to be redone. It's been the current configuration for decades!

Malls are something I never think about, and each time through the last 15 years I've ever found myself inside one, I've felt more and more like a fish out of water. Malls just don't register on my radar screen at all. When I see them while driving past them when going out of town or something, I can't relate to the mentality in the least. All that said, kudos to Columbiana for improving and drawing quality retail.

Malls are something I never think about, and each time through the last 15 years I've ever found myself inside one, I've felt more and more like a fish out of water. Malls just don't register on my radar screen at all. When I see them while driving past them when going out of town or something, I can't relate to the mentality in the least. All that said, kudos to Columbiana for improving and drawing quality retail.

I don't really go to malls often but their subset of culture and the anthropological impact of them are substantial. It's interesting to watch them evolve over the years to keep up with new strip malls and downtown areas (isn't that ironic?). They are often good places to create a more urban vibe outside of the main downtown actually because they are large structures that attract multi family dwellings, multi story hotels, office buildings and hospitals. I hope they continue to densify the Harbison area to a degree. I don't feel out of place at malls yet. I just prefer to go to waste time and people watch. Malls have to evolve to be more entertainment minded as retail continues to move towards online shopping sites. Experience-based retail will become the king in this new age of commercial development. People want unique places to shop which is one reason everything is moving or building downtown.

• 2 months later...

Oh, and as for A&F, I'm pretty sure the reason why it closed was because Loveculture/Sephora approached the mall and wanted a space, so they kicked A&F out since the lease was over, or A&F decided they couldn't pay that. It happens a lot of the time, unfortunately. That is actually pretty obvious now that I think about it, especially since the article about Loveculture and Sephora opening came out before the one about A&F closing. Haywood's A&F closed only about a week before people found out about Sephora, If I am correct. Columbiana's was probably just too high, and Haywood probably did not give them the option to renew because Haywood actually was pretty busy on weekends, and Columbiana only have half the people and only about half were buying, so they probably did not renew, or may have even been kicked out (sounds a little harsh, but I can't think of another phrase to use) by the mall. It's kind of annoying, however, because there are many other stores that are less upscale they could have gotten rid of, but instead they just had to get rid of a more upscale retailer, instead of something boring like Radioshack, Payless Shoes, etc. Now Charleston was probably because the rent was WAY too high. Anthropologie is opening there, but it has sat empty for months, and still is empty.

Eh, looks like A&F is on the way out according to this recent article. I love A&F, but I might love H&M a little more. Except for another 180 stores to close through the next couple of years:

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2012-08-30/at-abercrombie-and-fitch-sex-no-longer-sells

Eh, looks like A&F is on the way out according to this recent article. I love A&F, but I might love H&M a little more. Except for another 180 stores to close through the next couple of years:

http://www.businessw...no-longer-sells

http://www.businessw...no-longer-sells

Columbiana Mall seems to be more activate later but i dont go there for anything else but Hot Topic and Spencers.Maybe Sears or Belks but thats it.

But what happen to the plan for Columbiana to Expand the mall

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...