Columbiana Centre

Temeteron

Why is Parisian maybe leaving- slow sales? Too bad since it is a nice store, seemingly perfect for a moderately upscale mall.

Parisian's parent company is in a bind, and truthfully they don't need two stores in a market the size of Columbia. In a way, they're cannibalizing sales from themselves by being at both Richland and Columbiana.

But this is all still speculation at this point, no papers have been signed, and for the time being Parisian Columbiana's not going anywhere. There is a possiblity JCPenney will take the fifth anchor pad, and there's also the possiblity that they won't open at Columbiana at all.

parisian at Columbiana is closing. The lease will be assumed by JC Penney. Look on the Saks corporate website and the press release is there.

Great analysis, StevenRocks and other prior posters- you were right on!

How will this impact Columbiana Center? I would guess that upscale stores are now somewhat less likely to locate there since there is no more sort of upscale-brand anchor. But the mall's demographics should be good. Greenville Mall attracted a slew of upscale stores I think because it had a Parisian, even though the

mall's demographics weren't significantly more upscale than Haywood Mall's were.

This is sort of a reprieve for Richland, unless Parisian is pulling out of Columbia entirely.

Edited by csedwards72

parisian at Columbiana is closing. The lease will be assumed by JC Penney. Look on the Saks corporate website and the press release is there.

How will this impact Columbiana Center? I would guess that upscale stores are now somewhat less likely to locate there since there is no more sort of upscale-brand anchor. But the mall's demographics should be good. Greenville Mall attracted a slew of upscale stores I think because it had a Parisian, even though the

mall's demographics weren't significantly more upscale than Haywood Mall's were.

This is sort of a reprieve for Richland, unless Parisian is pulling out of Columbia entirely.

That is too bad for Parisian, but I usually shop at the Richland Mall store anyway. I really hate that they are closing a store, though. Columbia needs more upscale dept stores, not another Penneys.

Parisian's staying at Richland for a while. They couldn't have secured the financing for the redevelopment without a a soild anchor comittment.

I think Parisian's closing will have minimal long-term impact on Columbiana. You have a situation where a weak anchor is being replaced by a stronger anchor. That's always a good sign.

With Belk and Dillard's already at Columbiana, Parisian wasn't that different, so Belk and Dillard's will get a bounce in sales from the upscale customers. The addition of JCPenney will allow the mall to keep the middle-income shoppers and JCPenney shoppers from Columbia Place a little closer to home. And since JCPenney will likely succeed in a location where others (Belk, Parisian) have failed, the mall will gain sales, prestige and could end up filling the fifth anchor pad with something truly special.

Edited by StevenRocks

OR* Macy's could open a 2nd location at Columbiana......which would only mean that columbia would have 2 macy's which isnt bad..........next year when hect's is bought out by macy's Charlotte will have at least 3 macy's.......I truly doubt that Nordstrom comes here........if they do its going to be the smallest Nordstrom in the country lol....

Edited by Temeteron

From what I hear, the Nordstrom at SouthPark has a rather limited selection...at least according to a NY transplant.

Only partially true. Most Nordstroms built prior to 2000 were very large stores, but they redid their prototype to be more space efficient. Charlote and Durham are some of the first to see this smaller prottype, but both have almost as much merchandise as the larger stores.

Also, as with any retailer, there are a lot of concessions done for smaller and more consevative markets. SouthPark's plenty upscale, but a little more classic from a taste standpoint. So nordstrom adjusted their offerings to what they feel will sell in Charlotte: classicly stylish clothes.

What does it all mean? Yes, it's smaller, but no, it's not a stripped-down store.

How big is the 5th anchor pad?

From what I hear, the Nordstrom at SouthPark has a rather limited selection...at least according to a NY transplant.

Of course a NY transplant is going to say something like that....they're used to a city that is 10 zillion times bigger.......and I'm sure every store has certain things they carry and certain things they dont

Edited by Temeteron

OR* Macy's could open a 2nd location at Columbiana......which would only mean that columbia would have 2 macy's which isnt bad..........next year when hect's is bought out by macy's Charlotte will have at least 3 macy's.......I truly doubt that Nordstrom comes here........if they do its going to be the smallest Nordstrom in the country lol....

You are probably right about Nordstrom and I agree, the Macy's scenario is certainly more possible since all the MayCo and Hecht's stores are being bought out

Parisian will be opening up a 95,000 sq ft space in the mall upon its departure. How does that compare in size to Nordstrom and Macy in other malls in the South or around the nation? What's the smallest market that Nordstrom is located in?

It's a safe bet that JCPenney will get the space at Columbiana, but to answer your question, the smallest Nordstrom store I know of is about 120,000 square feet and the smallest market would probably be somewhere near their base in Seattle. Macy's runs stores as small as 50,000 square feet, but a market the size of Columbia would have a store of at last 120,000 square feet as a secondary location and maybe 150,000 square feet as a primary location.

Edited by StevenRocks