Columbiana Centre

Temeteron

They are however part of King of Prussia (PA),Roosevelt Field (NY), Queens Center (NY), Fashion Valley (CA), The Florida Mall (FL), Aventura (Fl), Riverchase Galleria (AL), Woodfield (Il), et cetera.

JCPenney isn't in every upscale mall, but they have almost as many locations in them as the leading better department stores.

So what, it's still going to have the same boring run of the mill unpopular brands that any other JCPenney carries, and IMO it just doesn't belong in our premier mall, actually I dont think it belongs in any premier mall in most cities.......for example you dont find JCP in SouthPark in Charlotte, nor Lenox Square in Atlanta, nor do you find it in Copley Place(Boston), or Mall of America(MPLS), or Mall at Green Hills(Nashville), Galleria Houston(houston), etc....

Honestly, there's nothing premier about Columbiana Centre. Sure it's the nicest mall in town, but it's not a premier mall. They don't even have a Coach store :P We have 1 soon to be 2 in the Upstate. Columbiana has a long way to go before they decide to completely move upscale.

Anyway, if I were the leasing manager at Columbiana Centre, I would have gotten Macy's or a Nordstrom instead of JCP.

Edited by SpartanTS

Honestly, there's nothing premier about Columbiana Centre. Sure it's the nicest mall in town, but it's not a premier mall. They don't even have a Coach store :P We have 1 soon to be 2 in the Upstate. Columbiana has a long way to go before they decide to completely move upscale.

Anyway, if I were the leasing manager at Columbiana Centre, I would have gotten Macy's or a Nordstrom instead of JCP.

I didnt say there was anything special or upscale about Columbiana....all i'm saying is that it is the popular mall in Columbia, and IMO it does need to expand and add some upscale stores but apparently they just want to bring in a JCPenney as if we dont have one already, and it's twin brothers Kohl's & Goody's all over town already.....but in order to bring stores period they have to expand.....

So what, it's still going to have the same boring run of the mill unpopular brands that any other JCPenney carries, and IMO it just doesn't belong in our premier mall, actually I dont think it belongs in any premier mall in most cities.......for example you dont find JCP in SouthPark in Charlotte, nor Lenox Square in Atlanta, nor do you find it in Copley Place(Boston), or Mall of America(MPLS), or Mall at Green Hills(Nashville), Galleria Houston(houston), etc....

In SouthPark's case, I'd rather have a JCPenney than a Dick's Sporting Goods. :huh:

The deal with Wet Seal buying Rave has fallen through. Rave is still without a buyer.

In most cases parcels that the department stores sit on belong to the retailer. Parisian's operating agreement is not up with Columbiana Centre. Despite the store is closed they are still paying on that space until Parisian is able to find someone to continue their lease. In some cases like in Columbia Place's situation the operating agreement had expired and they handed the space back to the mall and told them to find a tenant.

My problem with people in Columbia is they don't support things when we get them and our dollars end up going to other states and malls like Southpark and Lenox. Everytime you shop at Express in Columbiana it's being monitored. Then when Brooks Brothers is looking for a location they ask "how does that Express do". We'll never have anything as long as we hunt bargains in Columbia and do our full day of shopping in other markets. JCPenney wanting Columbiana is just another response to spending habits and trends showing that we're still cheap.

The deal with Wet Seal buying Rave has fallen through. Rave is still without a buyer.

In most cases parcels that the department stores sit on belong to the retailer. Parisian's operating agreement is not up with Columbiana Centre. Despite the store is closed they are still paying on that space until Parisian is able to find someone to continue their lease. In some cases like in Columbia Place's situation the operating agreement had expired and they handed the space back to the mall and told them to find a tenant.

My problem with people in Columbia is they don't support things when we get them and our dollars end up going to other states and malls like Southpark and Lenox. Everytime you shop at Express in Columbiana it's being monitored. Then when Brooks Brothers is looking for a location they ask "how does that Express do". We'll never have anything as long as we hunt bargains in Columbia and do our full day of shopping in other markets. JCPenney wanting Columbiana is just another response to spending habits and trends showing that we're still cheap.

Express & Brooks Brothers are two totally different stores IMO.....Columbiana has no room for new stores anyways

Profiatbility of operating in an area keeps a lot of stores out of town. No store can survive unless enough people are willing to pay full price for merchandise to cover the store's employees and expenses. That's really what makes the difference. I'm not seeing that in Columbia with the high-end stuff.

Profiatbility of operating in an area keeps a lot of stores out of town. No store can survive unless enough people are willing to pay full price for merchandise to cover the store's employees and expenses. That's really what makes the difference. I'm not seeing that in Columbia with the high-end stuff.

Yeah because people here want to wear Belts, Shorts, Shirts, and underwear with the Palmetto Flag on them, and Rainbow sandals year round.....God Forbid they wear a Kenneth Cole Peacoat , Guess Black pants, and a Burberry scarf, they much rather freeze to death in their SC gear

Edited by Temeteron

At least you in Columbia still have a Parisian- Greenville did not even support that; people were so set in their ways and continued to shop at ratty Haywood Mall rather than going to Greenville Mall and its higher-end stores that G'ville Mall went under.

Haywood before its massive renovation reminds me a lot of what Columbia Place was in the late 90's. It was a mall for the middle class. Not too expensive, not too cheap.

Now that Haywood has the chance to move a little more upscale, they're taking advantage of it. I say good for them. I shop there often because I like Macy's :P

Columbiana luckily doesn't have anything to worry about. Opposite end of town and no competition from Columbia Place or Dutch Square. No need to mention Richland :)

Yeah because people here want to wear Belts, Shorts, Shirts, and underwear with the Palmetto Flag on them, and Rainbow sandals year round.....God Forbid they wear a Kenneth Cole Peacoat , Guess Black pants, and a Burberry scarf, they much rather freeze to death in their SC gear

Sad, but so true. Here at USC Upstate, I see people wear sandles and shorts in the winter.

Haywood before its massive renovation reminds me a lot of what Columbia Place was in the late 90's. It was a mall for the middle class. Not too expensive, not too cheap.

Now that Haywood has the chance to move a little more upscale, they're taking advantage of it. I say good for them. I shop there often because I like Macy's :P

Columbiana luckily doesn't have anything to worry about. Opposite end of town and no competition from Columbia Place or Dutch Square. No need to mention Richland :)

First of all, I dont even look at Dutch Square as a mall, its just an indoor plaza to me, with a Belk lol......Richland Mall used to be considered a mall too in my views but now its gotten really really abadoned.....so basically there's Columbiana & Columbia Place.....now if you add Village @ Sandhill you can basically say we have 3 decent malls.....but then again VAS is a lifestyle center, so really only 2.......look at Charleston....they have the Citadel, & Northwoods, which are both very healthy malls, then they have Shops at Mt. Pleasant, a lifestyle center, lets not forget the famous King St. shops...anything else i left out? Way more shopping going on in Charleston considering its smaller size to Columbia.....Myrlte Beach also seems to have more outlet shops and healthy malls than cola.......and then Greenville, which lost Greenville Mall, but Haywood makes up for it, and if you add Westgate(Spartanburg), and the center off Woodruff, that just shows you that Columbia is lacking big time.....What is the metro's problem?

Greenville has Haywood, the Shops at Greenridge (600K sf) and downtown (with mainly locally owned stores that are pretty nice plus that Mast store, which is a mini-department store and which is a regional chain), plus 2 dead malls with a few stores in each that you can still walk around in: McAlister Square and Greenville Mall.

Columbia has Columbiana, Columbia Place (dying), Richland (pretty dead but better than G'ville Mall), Dutch Square and VAS.

I'd say Columbia has more.

Greenville has Haywood, the Shops at Greenridge (600K sf) and downtown (with mainly locally owned stores that are pretty nice plus that Mast store, which is a mini-department store and which is a regional chain), plus 2 dead malls with a few stores in each that you can still walk around in: McAlister Square and Greenville Mall.

Columbia has Columbiana, Columbia Place (dying), Richland (pretty dead but better than G'ville Mall), Dutch Square and VAS.

I'd say Columbia has more.

I wouldnt say Columbia Place is dying, its just changing thats all.....its very different from what it used to be, Richland Mall is pretty dead, and its getting worse.....Dutch Square is pretty much 90% full but then again its not even a third of the size of Columbia Place......

Charleston and Columbia are essentially the same size. But Charleston also caters more to tourists, who really love to shop. Nothing in SC can compare to Charleston and Myrtle Beach as far as shopping goes.

Well Columbia's MSA population is like 715,000 and Charleston's is not even 600,000.....according to Demographia.com.....i guess Columbia's population covers more area?

Columbia Place isn't dying. IT doesn't take a day to undo what has gone wrong. I do remember a time when Columbiana had a STYLE SETTER sitting near center court.

Columbia Place has spent 4 years convincing people that it's a family environment. THis is now the third year the Easter Bunny has been at the mall. Families are coming back out again.

Dutch Square however has taken in all of what Columbia Place is trying to get rid of.

Columbiana needs to watch out though, hud housing near the mall is starting to show it's slip on weekends.

Columbia Place isn't dying. IT doesn't take a day to undo what has gone wrong. I do remember a time when Columbiana had a STYLE SETTER sitting near center court.

Columbia Place has spent 4 years convincing people that it's a family environment. THis is now the third year the Easter Bunny has been at the mall. Families are coming back out again.

Dutch Square however has taken in all of what Columbia Place is trying to get rid of.

Columbiana needs to watch out though, hud housing near the mall is starting to show it's slip on weekends.

Are people who are less fortunate supposed to avoid malls and other areas where middle and upper income people gather?