Skyscrapers, Landfills, and Costco...

willrusso

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For now it's probably good to have some boxes in the beltline. If for no other reason than to get people back inside the beltline.

It can work out. The Harris Teeter in central Carrboro helps the town a lot. Between it and Weaver Street, the resturaunts, VisArt, the smaller shops, and Revco (or whatever it is), you can get all your shopping done in one area. Thus everybody in Carrboro goes downtown to shop, at least sometimes. The place does pretty well, and has better nightlife than a lot of full-blown cities in NC.

Some large, traditionally box stores sprinkled inside the beltline could help the community as a whole.

Harris Teeter is not a big box. Go to the lot they have cleared and look at how big it is. Now imagine that area with lots the same size and surfact parking lots with a Home Depot, Lowes, Sams, Super Target, Super K-mart, Super Wal-Mart, BJs, circuit city's, Best Buys,etc. all in the same area Right down the street you have some of smartest development in the south at North Hills and on the opposite side you have condo blds at 6-forks and Atlantic. I would not mind if they put big box on Yonkers road or right on the outside of the beltline where the ice rink is. But the rest of them will come into this area where it should be built more dense, especially with one of the cities largest office parks righ there and a huge section of land that needs to be redeveloped. Again, big developers roll in and the city rolls on this one. That whole area behind the old Alcatel plant going to the car dealerships, all the way to Atantic Ave and all the way to Capital (old farmers market) and Peden Steel plant should be dense development. Watch the rest of the big surface parking lots Big box retailers roll in after this one. This area will look like mini-city in 7 years.

:sick:

I would love to have a Lowe's or Home Depot near the Six Forks/Wake Forest Rd area. As it stands now I DRIVE many miles, contributing to TRAFFIC and POLLUTION problems. I will never ride a train to buy a 2x4!!!

Then you are a good canidate to move to Cary near Crossroads or mini-city in North Raleigh..

Then you are a good canidate to move to Cary near Crossroads or mini-city in North Raleigh..

You do realize that these big boxes exist in Manhattan? HAve you been to Target at North Hills? They can be done right.

I'll be sure to pass along your words to all of my ITB friends that I repeatedly bump into at the Crossroads Home Depot and Chick Fil A. We all should settle for Briggs' and Marc's Hardware??? please. :angry:

The North Hills area has the fortune/misfortune of being sandwiched/served by three big box lumber/home improvement stores -- take Milbrook in either direction from Six Forks and you are a few miles from the Glenwood Lowes or the Capital Blvd Lowes *and* Home Depot.

All these options are better than DT Raleigh options -- the same stores from further away, or the Garner Lowes and Home Depot which are still several miles away... I know some inside the beltline would prefer Crossroads because they really should be living in Cary, but Garner is closer and isn't snarled with traffic. The area even has bus service provided by TTA.

It would be nice if the wake forest rd/six forks/beltline/capital blvd bordered area could do a Home Depot Expo or something like the "urban Lowes" going into Charlotte's former midtown square, not-so-big boxes with other uses nearby and less surface parking.

It would be nice to get residents in first -- projects like the condos at Six Forks and Atlantic are a good start, but nothing seems to have been built to follow up on that success. There is a fairly significant amount of land to work with there, especially along the Atlantic and Capital blvd corridors.

Plywood and Quikrete aside, big box retail is not a bad thing if it is done correctly. Instead of operating one gigantic store situated in a sea of striped asphault that's 1000 feet from the street and 15 miles from a sister store, these stores should consider installing smaller stores in cities to serve a more localized area. Things like the Target at North Hills or a Home Depot Expo, etc... these are great ideas and they serve the majority of customers much more efficiently.

What about contractors you say? No problem--some of the stores can have that nice big rollup door and breezeway... But most people going to Home Depot are not building a 2000 square foot addition on their house. Instead they are going there to buy a seat for the downstairs crapper, some assorted fasteners, some paint, or a jigsaw.

I read that Lowe's is building a store, with residential units wrapping around the building and parking on the roof, within walking distance to a light rail station in Charlotte...

Not surprised. This sounds like a project in Charlotte's southend. I spent most of my life there, and can say that they will approve anything to get attention. :D

So it's OK for me to have to drive 20+ minutes to the nearest Home Depot or Lowes? So I'm supposed to get on a bus with my 4'x8' sheet of plywood and 60lb bag of cement? :shok:

I don't think getting on a bus/train with the above mentioned items is being suggested or is even being proposed here. Again, in my opinion, when living anywhere, city or country/rural, there is very seldom, "best of both worlds". People like North Hills and want more of it, but they want big box retailers within 10 minutes instead of 20?? People want more urban living while having a grocery store around the corner at the local strip center. People want an urban atmosphere but don't want traffic or people ?? People want urban atmosphere

Not always, I live in North east Raleigh and Have a lot of friends we meet at different places. Sometimes they come to the Triangle Towne Center area and we meet at Champs or Ted Montana's and sometimes those of us who live out a ways drive downtown and meet up at Hi-5 or something. Then sometimes We meet in Cary or Brier Creek and rarely Southpointe. I like having lots of different choices.

Sometimes you feel like driving and sometimes you don't though, I must agree. But it's always a welcome change to take in a new atmosphere and different surroundings.

Yea, this would be great if this is what they were going to do with the Costco and that area...... but it is not. Just like the Target at North Hills is great with a 16 screen theater on top.

Look at the site plan for the Costco and look at the cleared lot and that is one store and one set of gas pumps. and a huge parking lot.....

I have said enough about this

Archived