East Beltline Developments

GRDadof3

7 minutes ago, wingbert said:

Nice name.  I'm not sure if there's exactly a clear boundary for what constitutes "Forest Hills", but this location is clearly outside it. And calling it a "Preserve"???  What exactly is this run-of-the-mill apartment complex preserving?  Mediocrity?

Technically it is in Forrest Hills, if you go by school district

15 hours ago, SEsideguy said:

If "Forest Hills", ever incorporated, they'd be GR's third most populous "burb".

I actually think that distinction would go to Georgetown TWP/Jenison  if it ever incorporated.   If the city of Rockford expanded it's borders to include the area most people refer to as "Rockford", it would be nipping at Kentwoods heels.

2 hours ago, MJLO said:

I actually think that distinction would go to Georgetown TWP/Jenison  if it ever incorporated.   If the city of Rockford expanded it's borders to include the area most people refer to as "Rockford", it would be nipping at Kentwoods heels.

I think it would be pretty close. FHPS district is about 100 square miles, and includes parts of Ada Twp, Cascade Twp, Grand Rapids Township, Cannon Twp (I believe), and even parts of Kentwood. Would probably end up around 46,000 residents.

http://www.fhps.net/about-us/fhps-interactive-district-map/

Georgetown Twp is 46,000 residents, but it's only about 34 sq miles so the density is 3x higher. 

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Georgetown+Twp,+MI/@42.9070096,-85.9130008,12z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x8819bb78ed677575:0xe1d93ad55ae3e0e3!8m2!3d42.8999725!4d-85.8299053

IMO it is crazy that an interchange was not planned at Knapp/96. There is increased residential feeder traffic with Celadon as well as several new neighborhoods down Knapp, and increased commercial feeder traffic due to the significant development at Knapps Corner. Most traffic coming/going from 96 gets funneled down Leffingwell which is probably not intended to handle it. Maybe a half-interchange with a NB on ramp and SB off ramp could fit, which is all you really need since NB off/SB on are convenient at Leonard or Beltline/196.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dadr said:

IMO it is crazy that an interchange was not planned at Knapp/96. There is increased residential feeder traffic with Celadon as well as several new neighborhoods down Knapp, and increased commercial feeder traffic due to the significant development at Knapps Corner. Most traffic coming/going from 96 gets funneled down Leffingwell which is probably not intended to handle it. Maybe a half-interchange with a NB on ramp and SB off ramp could fit, which is all you really need since NB off/SB on are convenient at Leonard or Beltline/196.

That whole area was incompletely planned.  From the incomplete interchange between the Ford Freeway and I-96, to the incomplete interchange between I-96 and Fulton, to the fact that you need to do a Grand Rapids lane change and cross two extra lanes of traffic to get off on the Beltline coming from the east.  I agree that Knapp would be better served by an interchange.  Only the NE corner of Knapp and 96 isn't locked in by buildings however.  Not to mention Knapp itself would need an upgrade from Fullter to the EBL if that were to happen.  

It'd be nice if the state got to a point where it paid a little attention to the unfinished/inadequate grid it laid out in Grand Rapids.  GR metro has more than doubled in population since the 60's.  It may be the only metro area in the country to see that type of growth and not have its infrastructure upgraded. 

• Like 1

What do you guys think of all of this land owned by Spectrum off of Bradford and Leffingwell? Do you think they'll ever use it? It's in the city of GR so the city would reap a lot of benefits if it were developed into a Spectrum facility. Or maybe a new corporate HQ's for Priority Health? Good highway visibility (which every large company loves to have)

Spectrum Land.JPG

10 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

What do you guys think of all of this land owned by Spectrum off of Bradford and Leffingwell? Do you think they'll ever use it? It's in the city of GR so the city would reap a lot of benefits if it were developed into a Spectrum facility. Or maybe a new corporate HQ's for Priority Health? Good highway visibility (which every large company loves to have)

Spectrum Land.JPG

Shoot, you could probably fit a fairly large facility on just the South end of it. 

Corp HQ Bradford.jpg

1 hour ago, GRDadof3 said:

Years ago (maybe before Spectrum) I think Blodgett purchased all that property to build a new Hospital. Obviously that never happened.  Didn't Priority Health just sink a bunch of money into their Beltline and Leonard facilities?   It is a prime spot.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dadr said:

Yea seems like a logical choice to upgrade the whole 96 corridor from alpine to m6 and there's still room at knapp to add much needed ramps!

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, WMrapids said:

Chick-fil-a is proposing to build on the corner near Centerpointe Mall after they were denied the place near Celebration Cinema.

With Krispy Kreme there can we call that "Fats' Corner?" :P

*disclaimer, I enjoy a Krispy Kreme donut occassionally. 

• Like 1