East Beltline Developments

GRDadof3

26 minutes ago, mgreven said:

I think he's just bluffing...

I do but I don't want to mess anything up for them. From what I understand they are trying to find a good candidate/partner to develop it. The township wants medium density "for sale" residential units there, from what I understand. 

Speaking of Beltline news, they're starting on an office park project on the West Side of the Beltline just North of the daycare center, near 3 mile (across from the new Springs apartment complex). I found the public hearing on the townships website but no imagery on there. Nothing on CARWM either. Machinery onsite looks like they're about to take down the old houses along there. Those people probably made a mint on those properties, going from R-1 residential to commercial (ORD zoning I think?)

Haven't been in there in years, but it was a pretty nice auditorium for concerts.   At 2300 seats or so, I remember it and DeVos being two of the biggest auditoriums in GR - long before the arena days.  Just always seems crazy to tear down auditoriums (or a huge sanctuary in this case).

1 hour ago, mgreven said:

Haven't been in there in years, but it was a pretty nice auditorium for concerts.   At 2300 seats or so, I remember it and DeVos being two of the biggest auditoriums in GR - long before the arena days.  Just always seems crazy to tear down auditoriums (or a huge sanctuary in this case).

Yeah the value's in the land, not the facility, in my opinion. 72 acres, even if you can only develop a 2/3 of the property (a lot of it is wetlands and rolling wooded area), you might net over 200 units at $350 - $400k/each.  That's an $80 - $100 Million project. The facility as a church is only worth $5 Million (what it's for sale for).  And other than Ada Bible Church, I can't really think of any other churches expanding who can afford $5 Million. 

http://mls.carwm.com/listing/30049611

I'm not sure there are very many local companies though with the capacity to do such a project. It could essentially be another Celadon, but bigger. 

I went to Sunshine as a kid.  As I remember, it was built in the 80s.  I'm not sure how well it's aged or if it's been kept up well, especially with a dwindling congregation.  I think about the possibilities when I drive by.  It would make a decent concert venue.  Not sure a venue would make it with other options available though.

This parcel is absolutely massive!  It's much more than the church and parking lot.  I think it would be better suited for mixed use, but mainly residential due to our current housing stock.  Just imagine the Beltline if/when something get developed!

5adcd8ac10b4f_ScreenShot2018-04-22at2_45_50PM.png.8741829d88538c8f24263b3842dd43e1.png

10 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

It’s even bigger than the map shows. Both of the parcels (SE side of five mile and the Beltline) and the small church building in front of the main church are part of the property. For some reason, it shows them split but it’s all part of the sunshine complex. 

Joe

The North half of the site is apparently close to being sold. 

Ok. Now this place looks familiar. This is where GRPS would hold graduation ceremonies for the entire district. They would do one for a high school, then rotate them out, and bring the next one in.

Would make a great place for an actual dense residential development, but between NIMBY's, and he people freaking out that their view will be "spoiled", it will likely just be filled with another sprawling Ramblewood clone or another office park.

5 hours ago, GR_Urbanist said:

Would make a great place for an actual dense residential development, but between NIMBY's, and he people freaking out that their view will be "spoiled", it will likely just be filled with another sprawling Ramblewood clone or another office park.

Dense housing and apartments would make a lot of sense for the property.  The NIMBY's lost the fight for the apartments at 3 mile and Beltline so maybe there's a chance.

9 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Yes as far as I know. 

No. They stopped using them last year after the church sale fell through. They tried to buy the soccer fields but it was too much $$ for a non-profit. 

Joe

8 hours ago, Floyd_Z said:

Dense housing and apartments would make a lot of sense for the property.  The NIMBY's lost the fight for the apartments at 3 mile and Beltline so maybe there's a chance.

However, this property is in Northview schools, which is a little less desirable than the Forest Hills District down the road (3 mile). I think that alone will temper plans, unless they’re planning on building for dinks or empty nesters. 

Joe

11 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

No. They stopped using them last year after the church sale fell through. They tried to buy the soccer fields but it was too much $$ for a non-profit. 

Joe

However, this property is in Northview schools, which is a little less desirable than the Forest Hills District down the road (3 mile). I think that alone will temper plans, unless they’re planning on building for dinks or empty nesters. 

Joe

The demand for housing in the hot school districts has gotten so crazy that the question about schools has abated quite a bit.  Northview , Comstock Park, Kenowa Hills, are all considered "good schools" now. Not that they weren't great before. :)  Around Thousand Oaks Golf Club, which is in Northview, they're selling homes and "villas" (detached condos) as fast as they can put them up.  They're working on new phases for both along Grand River on the North edge of TO.  Eastbrook has single family homes off of 3 Mile and off of Grand River, both in Northview Schools, that are selling pretty fast. 

38 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

The demand for housing in the hot school districts has gotten so crazy that the question about schools has abated quite a bit.  Northview , Comstock Park, Kenowa Hills, are all considered "good schools" now. Not that they weren't great before. :)  Around Thousand Oaks Golf Club, which is in Northview, they're selling homes and "villas" (detached condos) as fast as they can put them up.  They're working on new phases for both along Grand River on the North edge of TO.  Eastbrook has single family homes off of 3 Mile and off of Grand River, both in Northview Schools, that are selling pretty fast. 

True, I passed Thousand Oaks the other day and the houses are quite insane in that area. Also, I may have come off as disparaging towards Northview (not intended, my niece and nephew go to Northview). I guess my thoughts were around developments like Stone Falls of Ada, which seem to be transplants that move in to Forest Hills schools while searching for a house. 

I hope they go residential in this area instead of continuing retail / office sprawl up the Beltline.

Joe

1 hour ago, joeDowntown said:

True, I passed Thousand Oaks the other day and the houses are quite insane in that area. Also, I may have come off as disparaging towards Northview (not intended, my niece and nephew go to Northview). I guess my thoughts were around developments like Stone Falls of Ada, which seem to be transplants that move in to Forest Hills schools while searching for a house. 

I hope they go residential in this area instead of continuing retail / office sprawl up the Beltline.

Joe

Nothing disparaging about saying Forest Hills is a more desirable district than Northview. Forest Hills and EGR are the two top districts in the area. Based on my pretty accurate knowledge of the districts around here, I would put them in four tiers...

Tier 1: East Grand Rapids, Forest Hills

Tier 2: Hudsonville, Caledonia, Rockford, Byron Center, Grandville, Jenison

Tier 3: Kenowa Hills, Comstock Park, Northview, Kentwood

Tier 4: Grand Rapids, Godwin Heights, Kelloggsville, Godfrey Lee, Wyoming

Having taught in Northview and Kenowa Hills, they both have good teachers but don't have near the resources or community involvement that tiers 1 and 2 have.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Floyd_Z said:

I always wonder if Robinettes will ever give in and sell.  It's some pretty prime real estate, but I think they still make a killing in the fall.

I heard at one time that Walmart was interested in some of their property.   Not sure if that came to me in a dream or not, or should  I say nightmare.

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, mpchicago said:

I heard at one time that Walmart was interested in some of their property.   Not sure if that came to me in a dream or not, or should  I say nightmare.

I heard that too but I don't think the Robinette's sites are deep enough off of the Beltline. And I don't think the township wanted it either. 

Both sides of the Beltline up there are zoned residential:

http://www.grandrapidstwp.org/services/clerk_s_office/docs/GRTWPZoningMap_July2015__2_.pdf

• 4 months later...
17 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Village at Knapp's Crossing has announced they'll have an Old Navy (in addition to TJ Maxx). Maybe there's still hope that they'll have some decent retailers.

https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2018/08/construction_underway_for_new.html

691700657_VillageatKnappUpdated9-3-18.thumb.JPG.f161465a1789e901165a513f7efe46d3.JPG

ugh,  what a major let down this is.  What happened to the original design with it being upper scale shops?  Wasn't it suppose to be similar to the one in/near Lansing?   Now its just the same old crap.   

• Like 1