East Beltline Developments

GRDadof3

Alright, I might be newer around here, but could use a little help... what is a BANANA in the context below :dontknow:

:lol: Build Absolutely Nothing Anywhere Near Anything (or Anyone). Every public hearing I go to, I keep thinking about BANANA's now. They're real people, and there are more than I can believe.

Thanks GRDad :thumbsup:

I just wanted to keep up with my 'urbanplanet' vocabulary :P

:lol: Build Absolutely Nothing Anywhere Near Anything (or Anyone). Every public hearing I go to, I keep thinking about BANANA's now. They're real people, and there are more than I can believe.

Yikes, that would make running out for a gallon of milk and a prescription quite the adventure.

I didn't think hermits went to planning commission meetings. :dontknow:

"The Village is proposed for the Beltline and Three-Mile Road, in GR township. There is another "lifestyle center" being planned at the corner of Knapp and the Beltline, in the city of GR's annexed property. Can they both go forward? Is there enough demand for that much retail? Will they be competing for the same tenants?

The one on Knapp and the Beltline is proposing 350,000+/- square feet of retail and over 100 residential units.

"The Village is proposed for the Beltline and Three-Mile Road, in GR township. There is another "lifestyle center" being planned at the corner of Knapp and the Beltline, in the city of GR's annexed property. Can they both go forward? Is there enough demand for that much retail? Will they be competing for the same tenants?

The one on Knapp and the Beltline is proposing 350,000+/- square feet of retail and over 100 residential units.

I'd support the one at Knapp & Beltline over the 3 Mile site if it wasn't for the development team. I have a lot more faith in what Aikens can do based on their Rochester Hills and Eastwood Towne Center projects. Plus, it sounds like they can build out the entire retail at once (similar to a mall), as opposed to building in "phases" like Celebration Village.

• 1 month later...

It is really close to being a pretty cool building, but the huge arched windows with the slighty-slanted brick surrounding them and 9 billion parking spots make it look corny. I don't really ike the colors of the brick either.

On the plus side, the entrance is front and center, the front of the building faces the road, and at least it has windows, unlike some other buildings. It could be a lot worse!

Par for the course as far as E Beltline goes...

Edited by torgo

I hate it. I think looks like cheezy attempt a classic/post modern architecture. It looks like it was designed in 1989.

I hate it. I was going to stop yesterday to take a photo for the ugly building thread, but didn't want to even waste the time. It is terrible.

What is sad is that they probably spent the right amount of money. Sometimes bad architecture is because of cheap owners. This one is bad in spite of an adequate budget.

The building is meaningless. It sits on its own, in the middle of a parking lot and behind a grassy knoll facing a road where the average speed of traffic is about 65mph. There is no urban fabric to really make it look impressive. If it was clustered around other buildings, along a street with slower traffic and with pedestrains, it would look much more grand. Right now it just looks like any old piece of roadside fluff on the Beltline.

Edited by GR_Urbanist

It doesn't fit the surroundings at all. It reminds of the Greek temple they have built along US-131 as you come into Cadillac. You don't marvel at it, you glance over at it and just kind of go "Huh?"

Good call GRGyp! :rofl: It does look like that building.

Workstage is a division of Steelcase isn't it mp?

Oh, and to add to the E. Beltline blah, here's the new Hilton Garden Inn near the WMU campus:

152519442_000160cdd8.jpg

Oh and look, is that another chain restaurant I see in that rendering. How cute! A hotel similar to this will be built next to Northpointe.

Good call GRGyp! :rofl: It does look like that building.

Workstage is a division of Steelcase isn't it mp?

Oh, and to add to the E. Beltline blah, here's the new Hilton Garden Inn near the WMU campus:

152519442_000160cdd8.jpg

Oh and look, is that another chain restaurant I see in that rendering. How cute! A hotel similar to this will be built next to Northpointe.

Oh, yay. <_< If I ever go there (which I probably won't), at least I'll be able to get a close parking spot! :yahoo:

• 4 weeks later...

Speaking of the East Beltline, this kind of development is OK, but a "village" with a main street, rear parking, and residential mixed in is not? <_<

168436708_afb1f1e814.jpg

(proposed retail center where Flowers of the Field sits now)

Because why fill all that space up with nice buildings and trees, when you can have 40 acres of nice flat asphalt instead? :sick: